The Student Room Group

no friends and living from home next year

My first year of uni finishes in 2 weeks. I joined societies and although I guess I have gone out a lot because I enjoy clubbing, I don't have a circle of friends that I belong to like everyone else.
When I do go out, i have to ask if I can join a group for pre drinks - no one ever asks me or lets me know about plans

Next year I'm living from home for financial reasons and everyone else is living together with their friends so I just feel lonely and have felt this way the whole year.

any advice?
This is a similar situation to me when I was in first year (lived at home). im usually quite shy and dont really talk an awful lot unless im spoken too but i found that going out clubbing as i enjoy that too i would use my drunken state to talk to strangers, see if they were in my uni (sometimes luckily from the same course) and would build friendships with those. this gave me a little more confidence to be able to make small talk with people in my class/lectures and i built friendships with a small group of people some of whom I'm now living in a shared house with. however i will be moving back home for 3rd year for the same reasons as you (financial) so im probably gonna get stuck in the same boat again. i guess long story short freshers week is a good chance to build friendships, join more societies and generally dont be afraid to talk to people you never know who feels the same way! hope this kinda helped

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending