The Student Room Group

Things you struggle with mostly while learning to drive

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ohhello92x
I passed my theory test on Thursday :biggrin:

My instructor reckons I'll be ready to do my practical around August time :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well done!

What score did you get?
Reply 81
I passed my theory test on Thursday :biggrin:

My instructor reckons I'll be ready to do my practical around August time :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well done! :biggrin: keep us up to date with how your lessons go! Best of luck with your driving :smile: xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 82
Just back from a lesson. Done basic town driving which wasn't fun but good practice since there was a lot of stopping and starting due to heavy traffic caused by temp traffic lights. I also did the 3 point turn for the first time ever and didn't muck it up so I'm chuffed :biggrin: its really bright outside today though and its triggered my migraine a bit again :frown: I just got rid of it, well most of it yesterday and now its back a bit :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BrownEyedGirl92
Well done!

What score did you get?

For the multiple choice I got bang on 43 and hazard perception I think I got 46 :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Spock's Socks
Well done! :biggrin: keep us up to date with how your lessons go! Best of luck with your driving :smile: xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Will do, mainly focusing on the manuvors now :redface: xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 85

Will do, mainly focusing on the manuvors now :redface: xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

I done maneuvers today for the first time. Took to them better than I thought I would! Still mucking up a lot with the clutch though :frown:
Just back from a lesson. Done basic town driving which wasn't fun but good practice since there was a lot of stopping and starting due to heavy traffic caused by temp traffic lights. I also did the 3 point turn for the first time ever and didn't muck it up so I'm chuffed :biggrin: its really bright outside today though and its triggered my migraine a bit again :frown: I just got rid of it, well most of it yesterday and now its back a bit :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's good :biggrin:

Had a lesson earlier, and somehow managed to stall like 3 times before I left my road, not entirely sure what happened there but it hasn't happened to me before where I stall at the start :lol:

Aw hope it goes soon :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I done maneuvers today for the first time. Took to them better than I thought I would! Still mucking up a lot with the clutch though :frown:

Aw you'll get used to it soon :redface:

Even now with the reverse round the corner I still mess up a bit :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've had 24 hours worth of lessons but my instructor says I'll need 20 more, I know I'm not that bad of a driver and she hasn't really explained to me a plan and why she thinks it would take that long, any advice? You reckon I should try with someone else? I don't really like her car either, it's really touchy and I think she keeps pressing the clutch down for me, stressing me out whether or not to stay with her... Help! :smile:
Reply 89
That's good :biggrin:

Had a lesson earlier, and somehow managed to stall like 3 times before I left my road, not entirely sure what happened there but it hasn't happened to me before where I stall at the start :lol:

Aw hope it goes soon :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think I stalled twice today. That's a new record for me :tongue: just noticed your theory score. You done really similar to me. I got 44/50 for the questions and 56 or 57 I think it was for HP. My mind went blank during the questions. I was sure I had failed. Burst out crying when I was told I passed :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile
most difficult maneuver is left reverse, i swear i'll snap my neck doing that some day >.> ._.
easiest is bay parking by far literally go slow and maneuvers are all super easy just remember what to do, i find difficulty however in changing gears from higher to lower when turning into a minor road .-. don't know why though :colonhash:
(edited 7 years ago)
I haven't learned bay reverse because it won't come up on my test since the test centre don't own the car park so they can't ask me to do that apparently.
I think I stalled twice today. That's a new record for me :tongue: just noticed your theory score. You done really similar to me. I got 44/50 for the questions and 56 or 57 I think it was for HP. My mind went blank during the questions. I was sure I had failed. Burst out crying when I was told I passed :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aw that's good :biggrin: it's such a relief now I've got my theory out of the way :redface:, can't wait to pass my practical :redface:

You're welcome :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by rayquaza17
I haven't learned bay reverse because it won't come up on my test since the test centre don't own the car park so they can't ask me to do that apparently.

Oh really? But shouldn't your instructor teach you it anyway for when you do have to reverse into a parked space?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by thefatone
most difficult maneuver is left reverse, i swear i'll snap my neck doing that some day >.> ._.
easiest is bay parking by far literally go slow and maneuvers are all super easy just remember what to do, i find difficulty however in changing gears from higher to lower when turning into a minor road .-. don't know why though :colonhash:

THIS, esp going from liek 3rd gear to second and braking and **** its long af, rip
So after a year out of lessons due to my health, I'm now back at driving lessons. I had my first lesson today and it was with a new instructor. I made a thread like this last year when I first started and thought I'd make another :colondollar:

I think back then, gears were my biggest hurdle. Now its definitely the clutch and acceleration. I either don't rev enough or I don't lift the clutch up in time or all that jazz. Stalled 3 times today and all at busy junctions :colondollar: after a year out though, I was expecting it. Not a lover of reversing either. I can reverse perfectly in a straight line but that's it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

i have exactly the same issues! my clutch control is awful and always stall. managed to pull of in 2nd/3rd gear once (cant remember which it was) however my emergency stop was on point
Original post by GeorgeAndLennie
THIS, esp going from liek 3rd gear to second and braking and **** its long af, rip

ok so while i was practising during lesson i found out that if you slow down to almost the speed at which you change gears and you have a fast brain then you can do it more fluidly.

So from 3rd slow down to about 15-18mph then change gear then drive the car, don't let the car changing gear slow it down for you because it feels weird and it's like a forced slowing down...
Had my 3rd lesson today. Instructor told me put it in 3rd going round this bend on a tight road. I am driving blind in one eye and sort of got overwhelmed trying to do it and not drift over other side of road. It was all ok but i didnt feel in control tbh.

Obviously not done much having 3 lessons so cant comment. Next lesson he's gonna have me drive home (Roundabouts n traffic lights etc)
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Had my 3rd lesson today. Instructor told me put it in 3rd going round this bend on a tight road. I am driving blind in one eye and sort of got overwhelmed trying to do it and not drift over other side of road. It was all ok but i didnt feel in control tbh.

Obviously not done much having 3 lessons so cant comment. Next lesson he's gonna have me drive home (Roundabouts n traffic lights etc)

You'll get used to what feels right for you, and there's nothing wrong with saying to your instructor that at this stage you'd rather take it a little slower, perhaps in 2nd for a little bit more until you feel you have more control over it... I'd be surprised if he kept forcing you to do it in 3rd on a tight road at this stage!

Good luck with your next lesson! I always found driving home the best bit, because that was when the lesson would be all me driving, rather than my instructor driving off, us switching round, me driving, us switching round, him driving back!!
Reply 99
Original post by Betelgeuse-

Good luck with your next lesson and keep us updated with how you get on with your driving. A lot of learner find roundabouts difficult. I'm not a fan of them but I hate stopping at traffic lights more than going round a roundabout. I'm always scared I'll stall at the traffic lights and people behind will beep their horns at me and that'll only fluster me more :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest