The Student Room Group

How to tackle really hard questions at the back of maths papers (as-level ocr)

During c2, c1, m1 practise tests, there's always that one really difficult maths question that is worth 8 marks. Is there no way of getting 95 and above UMS,without answering all the questions confidently?

To get better at these harder questions, where should I get questions to practise? Textbook or more papers? I can do textbook ones quite well but it's those very hard random ones that pop up at the end that confuse me.

I really want to get 100 UMS but I'm always losing too many marks justbecause of one question

(P.s: sorry to those who saw this question already in my previous thread)
Reply 1
Practice hard questions.
Reply 2
Seeing as these questions can test any area of maths in a very difficult way, you're just gonna have to keep practicising difficult questions in all areas (maybe not all, perhaps they have some areas as always the starting question like an arithmetic series)

Find some very difficult questions online and from worksheets. For instance I use the Solomon worksheets to challenge myself on certain areas on maths because they are much harder. The solomon papers are also more challenging. There's a lot you can find on physicsandmathstutor.
Original post by JulieEdiz
During c2, c1, m1 practise tests, there's always that one really difficult maths question that is worth 8 marks. Is there no way of getting 95 and above UMS,without answering all the questions confidently?

To get better at these harder questions, where should I get questions to practise? Textbook or more papers? I can do textbook ones quite well but it's those very hard random ones that pop up at the end that confuse me.

I really want to get 100 UMS but I'm always losing too many marks justbecause of one question

Up your bench press
Reply 4
Original post by FamilyFirst
Up your bench press

what does this mean?
Reply 5
Original post by JulieEdiz

These questions are usually the discriminators for the candidates who are expected to get 90+ UMS, so if you want to get 90 UMS you should practice as many extension questions as possible. Some excellent resources can be found here.
Reply 6
Original post by aymanzayedmannan
These questions are usually the discriminators for the candidates who are expected to get 90+ UMS, so if you want to get 90 UMS you should practice as many extension questions as possible. Some excellent resources can be found here.

Thank you!!!! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest