The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Cirrus
NETWORKING at AH is great :biggrin: I love it, even though we did Multimedia and dam you bet me in the project, you got 76/80? pretty impressive I got 64/80 which I felt was okay which means I only need to get 36/120 to pass... did last years paper and ot 103/120 though which was quite good!

What was your project on?

In AH 40% is based on your coursework mark or your Developing a Software Solution so you get 80 marks for Project and 120 for Theory meaning its marked out of 200 overall.

Is Scholar down btw?

na i got 66, i got almost full marks for all my writing all 50+ pages of it!! he said what let me down was the program wasnt complex enough, he said i should of put as much effort into the program as i did into the writing but he never told me that before i started he said the program was fine :mad: . So even at 66 i was still a bit disapointed with myself.

i was going by last years boundaries - 45% for a pass, i take it you were going by 50%? well i'd need 32 marks then.

Also for the AI people, dont you just love the waltz algorithm? its so damn easy, its usually an easy 3 marks for me anyway, but yesterday in the prelim I got a 5 mark question on it!!! :biggrin:

and yeah, im finding advanced higher MUCH easier than higher, mostly because there is none of that computer systems crap. I only SCRAPED a C in higher, my teacher said i got 49% overall (probably because i was lazy), and i'm doing much much better in advanced higher.
Reply 21
Ah, I see, I was going by 50%, My teacher said you shouldn't be disappointed with anything above 60 :P If it's 45% that will be great.

I'm trying to remember where I lost marks... my worst part was my Technical Guide but I did a fantastic User Guide while the other boy in my class did a Great Technical Guid and did a poor User Guide... odd... Anyway I did a Web Based Forum using PHP with a MySQL backend.
Reply 22
Cirrus
Ah, I see, I was going by 50%, My teacher said you shouldn't be disappointed with anything above 60 :P If it's 45% that will be great.

I'm trying to remember where I lost marks... my worst part was my Technical Guide but I did a fantastic User Guide while the other boy in my class did a Great Technical Guid and did a poor User Guide... odd... Anyway I did a Web Based Forum using PHP with a MySQL backend.

Wow, sounds good! - at my school they blocked practically everything so I had to do something in VB and i just chose to do a simulation of the lottery draw and a database to store the numbers.

I lost 1 mark for not writing a detailed enough Time Plan, a few marks for the actual coding (even though it was perfect, but for complexity). Got full marks for process skills, user gudie and technical guide, and lost only a couple of marks in the evaluation cause it was rushed at the last minute.
Reply 23
Don S
im finding advanced higher MUCH easier than higher, mostly because there is none of that computer systems crap.

I like computer systems, that was the bit i could do. i didn't realise there wouldn't be any of that at AH till it was too late :mad:

My friend Marc (who also does Ah computing) says:
i agree, i liked learning about how the computer actually works, not how to rearrange blocks n pour 8 litres of fake wine into a five litre jug
(referring to the AI unit btw)

Quite frankly, this year, computing has been quite rubbish. It might have something to do with the fact that the teachers are now too busy for us and just leave us to be stuck. However, I have now learnt how to calculate certainty factors, 2 days before the exam :rolleyes:
Reply 24
Meh, I had 2 Teachers... Who I got for 6 periods a week... :P
Reply 25
So hows everyone prepairing for the big day tomorrow? I'm just running through the 2006 SQA, 2006 Perfect paper, and 2006 specimen, and making some notes to learn up, then im going to do them without the notes..

I usually get around 50% in computing (higher and AH) mostly because im lazy, but this year im really trying to push myself cause i only need 61% in the AH exam tomorrow for an A (or 53% going by last years boundaries:biggrin:).
Reply 26
Ive just been reading Glossarys, Memorising Standard Algorithms, Comparing Algorithms, Transmission Speeds and Like other code you need to know (Creating Sequential Files, Records) plus stuff like stacks and queues. I think im just getting myself confused.

I did last years paper and got 103/120 when my teacher marked it so im going to read over that then have a we look at the specimen paper.
Reply 27
All Ive really done is remember concepts from the Computer Architecture unit and the standard algorithms.
I can't imagine the exam being too difficult.
Reply 28
Hey Samtooth, I'm hoping it will be very fair, didnt like that specimen though - What you get in your project?
Reply 29
good luck to you all tomorrow :biggrin: you all ready?
Reply 30
I'm ready. :smile: This is going to be my easiest exam, so I'm feeling pretty confidant of an A. Good luck guys!
Reply 31
Samtooth
All Ive really done is remember concepts from the Computer Architecture unit and the standard algorithms.
I can't imagine the exam being too difficult.

my computing teacher said they got it easy last year and to expect a much harder paper this year, possibly as hard or if not harder than the specimen paper

Also: are we allowed to take the papers out of the room with us once we've finished? I got stoped when i tried to do it with AH maths, but not with H business or my exams last year..
Reply 32
Don S
my computing teacher said they got it easy last year and to expect a much harder paper this year, possibly as hard or if not harder than the specimen paper

Also: are we allowed to take the papers out of the room with us once we've finished? I got stoped when i tried to do it with AH maths, but not with H business or my exams last year..

I've always thought you could take out any papers you didn't write on?
Reply 33
Last years paper wasn't easy, I found it easy however if you read the Marking Report it was done very very poorly :P So I doubt they would make this years extremely hard.
Reply 34
Cirrus
Last years paper wasn't easy, I found it easy however if you read the Marking Report it was done very very poorly :P So I doubt they would make this years extremely hard.

I found last years very easy compaired to the specimen and the perfect papers prelim 2006.

I hope they make this years one as easy tho, and other people do very badly :biggrin:
Reply 35
Does your school use P&N papers?
Reply 36
Cirrus
Does your school use P&N papers?

nah, perfect papers.
Reply 37
Cirrus
Hey Samtooth, I'm hoping it will be very fair, didnt like that specimen though - What you get in your project?

My school didn't tell us, Im guessing above 60/80
Reply 38
Okay, so who thought that higher exam was hard? Who does AI and also CRIED at the sight of the NINE MARK QUESTION at the end?
Reply 39
hey, i done computing too, and found it quite easy (touch wood!). Although we done the multimedia unit

Latest

Trending

Trending