The Student Room Group

Declined from many Unis

Hi all,

I am currently on my second year in college studying BTEC Extended Diploma Level 3 in IT.

My first year didn't go well due to family/health problems throughout the year, my attendance also wasn't good, it was very unlucky but I do not want to talk about it. I ended up with just PPP last year.

Now when the problems are over, I am concentrating on my grades to get at least MMM but aiming for DMM where I need to get 7 D's and 2 M's from 9 Units. I already get 3 D's and 1 M's but still my Predicted grades are MMM which is not enough to get into Uni for any IT course, even with Foundation year from which I have been declined as well. I applied through UCAS for 5 different courses that require DMM or above. All of them have been declided due to unsufficient qualifications (PPP).

Then I used my UCAS extra few weeks ago and applied for IT Computer Studies with Foundation year that requires 220 UCAS Points. Even contacted Uni before applying and explained the situation that I am aiming for much higher grades this year. Received an unsuccesfull respone today with reason of lacking 220 UCAS Points even tho my predicted grades are MMM. Seems like my application wasn't even based on predicted grades.

I really don't know what I should do. Should I wait till the end of the year for my grades and then reapply in June/July? Is it even possible to apply in June and start in September or October?

I really need advice!

Thank you.
Original post by n0stie
Hi all,

I am currently on my second year in college studying BTEC Extended Diploma Level 3 in IT.

My first year didn't go well due to family/health problems throughout the year, my attendance also wasn't good, it was very unlucky but I do not want to talk about it. I ended up with just PPP last year.

Now when the problems are over, I am concentrating on my grades to get at least MMM but aiming for DMM where I need to get 7 D's and 2 M's from 9 Units. I already get 3 D's and 1 M's but still my Predicted grades are MMM which is not enough to get into Uni for any IT course, even with Foundation year from which I have been declined as well. I applied through UCAS for 5 different courses that require DMM or above. All of them have been declided due to unsufficient qualifications (PPP).

Then I used my UCAS extra few weeks ago and applied for IT Computer Studies with Foundation year that requires 220 UCAS Points. Even contacted Uni before applying and explained the situation that I am aiming for much higher grades this year. Received an unsuccesfull respone today with reason of lacking 220 UCAS Points even tho my predicted grades are MMM. Seems like my application wasn't even based on predicted grades.

I really don't know what I should do. Should I wait till the end of the year for my grades and then reapply in June/July? Is it even possible to apply in June and start in September or October?

I really need advice!

Thank you.

You can go through clearing once you get your results which might be a better option than continually trying extra.
Reply 2
Thanks for advice.

But I still don't undestand why they don't want to consider me for foundation year with MMM predicted.
Original post by n0stie
Hi all,

I really need advice!

Thank you.

You can see whats left in Extra in June/July once you have your results. You might find though that you have more options when Clearing opens after A-Level results day in Mid August. This is when universities look to fill any remaining vacancies for 2016 entry and the number of vacancies has been increasing each year. Either way you need to make sure the places you apply to more closely match the grades you have.
If you email them explaining they might reconsider your application, it happened to me, although I didn't get a place the second time round either lol.
Original post by n0stie
Thanks for advice.

But I still don't undestand why they don't want to consider me for foundation year with MMM predicted.

They might see ppp to mmm as an unrealistic jump, were your health problems something your referee mentioned at all?
Reply 6
Original post by claireestelle
They might see ppp to mmm as an unrealistic jump, were your health problems something your referee mentioned at all?

No, not really.

Original post by Dinasaurus
If you email them explaining they might reconsider your application, it happened to me, although I didn't get a place the second time round either lol.

I will e-mail them, thanks.
Original post by n0stie
No, not really.

In that case they would have no clue that your grades were effected by a health problem, they could have assumed that PPP was a grade you would have got in normal circumstances and that your teacher over predicted.
Reply 8
In that case they would have no clue that your grades were effected by a health problem, they could have assumed that PPP was a grade you would have got in normal circumstances and that your teacher over predicted.

Well, the health and family problems didn't last long time, I had a chance to get at least MMM but was I very unmotivated and started missing single days at college which affected my attendance and grades at some sort. So I don't blame a health problems. I was more lazy I would say.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by n0stie
Well, the health and family problems didn't last long time, I had a chance to get at least MMM but was I very unmotivated and started missing single days at college which affected my attendance and grades at some sort. So I don't blame a health problems.

Ah i understand,its probably best to wait to get your result and then go through extra/ clearing then
Reply 10
Ah i understand,its probably best to wait to get your result and then go through extra/ clearing then

Thanks for help. I will probably e-mail Uni first and see what they reply about my application for foundation year. The person on the phone seemed to be very polite and understanding but still declined.

If I go through clearing, will I start in September 2016?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by n0stie
Thanks for help. I will probably e-mail Uni first and see what they reply about my application for foundation year. The person on the phone seemed to be very polite and understanding but still declined.

If I go through clearing, will I start in September 2016?

Yes you will :smile:
Reply 12
Yes you will :smile:

Thanks,

I guess I wasted all my 5 main UCAS slots, by stupidity I applied for courses that require at least DMM hoping I will get any offers.
Reply 13
Hi,

So I received an e-mail from the Uni I'd like to go to. They sent me a conditional offer. I need to get at least MMM and C in GCSE English which I am currently working towards them.

The course is IT Computer Studies with foundation year (1+3 years)

I think this course will be fine for me but I have some questions.

-Can I accept the offer now or do I just need to get the grades first? I have time to respond till 22 July.
-Do I apply for student finance now, even if I do not have the place secured yet?
-Will I do the foundation year at uni or in college where I am currently?

Thank you so much!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by n0stie
Hi,

So I received an e-mail from the Uni I'd like to go to. They sent me a conditional offer. I need to get at least MMM and C in GCSE English which I am currently working towards them.

The course is IT Computer Studies with foundation year (1+3 years)

I think this course will be fine for me but I have some questions.

-Can I accept the offer now or do I just need to get the grades first? I have time to respond till 22 July.
-Do I apply for student finance now, even if I do not have the place secured yet?
-Will I do the foundation year at uni or in college where I am currently?

Thank you so much!

Congratulations :smile:

1. Accept the offer now, if you're sure you want to go there and you're not waiting on any other responses. If you're not sure, wait until July. You do not need to get the grades first.
2. Yes, apply asap otherwise it might not come through on time
3. It sounds like you'll do it at the Uni, but do double check with them

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by Origami Bullets
Congratulations :smile:

1. Accept the offer now, if you're sure you want to go there and you're not waiting on any other responses. If you're not sure, wait until July. You do not need to get the grades first.
2. Yes, apply asap otherwise it might not come through on time
3. It sounds like you'll do it at the Uni, but do double check with them

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks!

I don't have any other offers. I also can't add an extra as I already have a pending offer I suppose.

I can't see an option on UCAS track. May it be, because it is a conditional offer?

Do I just go at gov.uk and simply apply there?
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest