The Student Room Group

Is it time to stop student finance being based on parental income

Poll

Should maintenance loans be based on parental income?

There is currently a petition calling for student finance to not be based on parental income. I completely agree, why should the government care what income my parents make, why should the chavvy UKIP types studying PE get more money than me because of what their parents earn? Education is a right for everyone FACT so I should not be excluded due to low maintenance loans. I can't wait for 2020 so I can vote for Jeremy Corbyn who will give me free education and abolish these discriminatory loans. Do you guys agree everyone should be entitled to the same amount?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well the maintenance loan screws me over anyway so.....
Reply 2
There simply isn't enough money to give every student the same level of support granted to students from low income families, so the end result of this would be preventing the poorest from attending uni, rather than the middle class students. Exactly how would that be an improvement?
Where would the extra money come from?
Reply 4
The other challenge about student finance being based on overage working class parent and their income is that sometimes, though parents may have a decent income, their expenditures are high (mortgage etc etc) and maybe this is only a recent financial position for them, and they have not had time to save etc, so their disposable income is limited. Their son/daughter receives a reduced student loan/grant, parents can't afford to top up their money, and even with a casual job, struggles to make ends meet while away at uni. Or parents put themselves into further debt too while their son/daughter studies. Vicious circle!!
Original post by intelligent con
There is currently a petition calling for student finance to not be based on parental income. I completely agree, why should the government care what income my parents make, why should the chavvy UKIP types studying PE get more money than me because of what their parents earn? Education is a right for everyone FACT so I should not be excluded due to low maintenance loans. I can't wait for 2020 so I can vote for Jeremy Corbyn who will give me free education and abolish these discriminatory loans. Do you guys agree everyone should be entitled to the same amount?

No. Someone with a family income of 80k shouldn't receive the same as someone with an income of 25k. How is that fair?
You aren't being excluded. If you're wealthier than average parents chose not to financially support you, take responsibility and get job to fund your studies. If you value your education that much, you will do it.
Reply 7
So the rich dont get richer...
Reply 8
Education is not a right get a grip. Student loans should only be given to high achievers to begin with.
Reply 9
Original post by Quantex
You aren't being excluded. If you're wealthier than average parents chose not to financially support you, take responsibility and get job to fund your studies. If you value your education that much, you will do it.

I am a parent of a university student (who does by the way work as many hours as is feasibly possible and in fact cover much of his own expenses, but because of my income he is penalised). He is also working when I believe he should be concentrating on studies. Yes I agree, a balance - some part time hours etc. But quite often, the balance is against those students who are from households such as mine. Often the part time hours become full time, and studies are compromised.
Reply 10
Original post by whorace
Education is not a right get a grip. Student loans should only be given to high achievers to begin with.

"Education is a fundamental human right and essential for the exercise of all other human rights. It promotes individual freedom and empowerment and yields important development benefits. Yet millions of children and adults remain deprived of educational opportunities, many as a result of poverty. "

The Right to Education | Education | United Nations Educational, ...www.unesco.org education themes
And when it isn't based on parental income anymore, what's to say that wealthier parents will stop helping their kids out?
I agree totally!! just because parents income is high they have other children to care for! not all their income will be dedicated to that one child at university!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by intelligent con

YES - I do think everyone should be entitled to receive the same about and then be able to decide for themselves whether they need it all or will manage on a portion of the amount offered.
Reply 14
Original post by BBSAN
"Education is a fundamental human right and essential for the exercise of all other human rights. It promotes individual freedom and empowerment and yields important development benefits. Yet millions of children and adults remain deprived of educational opportunities, many as a result of poverty. "

The Right to Education | Education | United Nations Educational, ...www.unesco.org education themes

Education up to the age of 16 is a right. University education, even A Levels is a choice.
voted for the wrong option in the poll, oops.

I agree that it should be based on parents income. Students whose parents earn over 100k should not receive the same amount as students whose parents earn 30k.
And the ugly nature of TSR reveals itself, as it votes overwhelming for poor people to pay for kids from rich families to go through uni.
Original post by BBSAN
I am a parent of a university student (who does by the way work as many hours as is feasibly possible and in fact cover much of his own expenses, but because of my income he is penalised). He is also working when I believe he should be concentrating on studies. Yes I agree, a balance - some part time hours etc. But quite often, the balance is against those students who are from households such as mine. Often the part time hours become full time, and studies are compromised.
It is generally expected that students from higher-income families will be able to get their parents to support them. If you really do have a high income, why don't you support him more so he could focus on his studies instead of working?If my parent was in a position to, I know they would help me financially. But they're not, which is why I need a bigger loan than someone from a higher-income background such as your son.
Original post by Quantex

Why don't the poorer kids get a job as well?
The extra money will come from flying unicorns and their rainbows I guess

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending