The Student Room Group

C4 calculus help?

Photo on 16-03-2016 at 10.27.jpg

Hello! I've attached a picture of the question I'm currently stuck on.

So I've answered part i and part ii and I've got the partial fraction to be 1/t - t/1+t^2

then i said 1/m dM/dT = 1/t(1+t^2)

Then: integral(1/M)dM = ingegral of 1/t(1+t^2) dt

then i substitututed in my partial fraction so I wrote

integral(1/M)dM = ingegral of (1/t - t/1+t^2) dt

Then I integrated this and got

lnM = lnt- 1/2ln(1+t^2) + c

Now I'm not quite sure what to write...Do I find C? Did I even need to include C?

I know I should probably bring up the -1/2 and make it into a power...

How do I show that M = Kt/sqr(1+t^2) like I'm asked to?

Where does the K come from? Is it the integration constant C?

Please help...
Reply 1
Original post by KateAteKarrots

Now I'm not quite sure what to write...Do I find C? Did I even need to include C?

I know I should probably bring up the -1/2 and make it into a power...

How do I show that M = Kt/sqr(1+t^2) like I'm asked to?

Where does the K come from? Is it the integration constant C?

Please help...

Yes, you should include C - keep working and simplifying and eventually you can just replace whatever function of the arbitrary constant you have with KK, another arbitrary constant.
Reply 2

lnM = lnt- 1/2ln(1+t^2) + c

From here you can already see lnM=lntln1+t2+clnM=lnt1+t2+c\displaystyle \ln M = \ln t - \ln \sqrt{1+t^2} + c \Rightarrow \ln M = \ln \frac{t}{\sqrt{1+t^2}} + c

Now if you take the exponential of both sides: M=ect1+t2\displaystyle M = \frac{e^c t}{\sqrt{1+t^2}}, now just let K=ecK = e^c.
Original post by Zacken
From here you can already see lnM=lntln1+t2+clnM=lnt1+t2+c\displaystyle \ln M = \ln t - \ln \sqrt{1+t^2} + c \Rightarrow \ln M = \ln \frac{t}{\sqrt{1+t^2}} + c

Now if you take the exponential of both sides: M=ect1+t2\displaystyle M = \frac{e^c t}{\sqrt{1+t^2}}, now just let K=ecK = e^c.

Oh thank you for the help! I didn't realise you could take the exponential of both sides?
Reply 4
Oh thank you for the help! I didn't realise you could take the exponential of both sides?

You can usually do whatever you'd like to both sides of an equation, for example, if you have the equation x3=27x^3 = 27, when you're solving this, you're implicitly taking the cube root of both sides to get x=271/3=3x = 27^{1/3} = 3.

If you want another way of looking at it, though, we have:

lnM=lnt1+t2+c=lnt1+t2+lneclnM=lnect1+t2\displaystyle \ln M = \ln \frac{t}{\sqrt{1+t^2}} + c = \ln \frac{t}{\sqrt{1+t^2}} + \ln e^c \Rightarrow \ln M = \ln \frac{e^c t}{\sqrt{1+t^2}}

Now the logs 'cancel' to get you M=ect1+t2\displaystyle M = \frac{e^c t}{\sqrt{1+t^2}}, if you're more comfortable working this way.
Original post by Zacken
You can usually do whatever you'd like to both sides of an equation, for example, if you have the equation x3=27x^3 = 27, when you're solving this, you're implicitly taking the cube root of both sides to get x=271/3=3x = 27^{1/3} = 3.

If you want another way of looking at it, though, we have:

lnM=lnt1+t2+c=lnt1+t2+lneclnM=lnect1+t2\displaystyle \ln M = \ln \frac{t}{\sqrt{1+t^2}} + c = \ln \frac{t}{\sqrt{1+t^2}} + \ln e^c \Rightarrow \ln M = \ln \frac{e^c t}{\sqrt{1+t^2}}

Now the logs 'cancel' to get you M=ect1+t2\displaystyle M = \frac{e^c t}{\sqrt{1+t^2}}, if you're more comfortable working this way.

Yes, that makes complete sense now! Thank you very much for the guidance!
Reply 6
Yes, that makes complete sense now! Thank you very much for the guidance!

Glad I helped.

Quick Reply

Latest