The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Chemistry (York) student studying/procrastinating, ask me anything about chem@york

***Ignore what I said earlier peole, ask anyhing you want, I'll be on in the evening after a good be of studying to chat or whatever***

I'm currently making up for my laziness in Term 2, more studying and catch up to do that I theoretically have time for, but, I'll be fine

I thought I'd be positive with my bouts of procrastination, any future students, or potential ones, ask me anything specific to chemistry here, I can even give some tips for what to watch out for like our villainous NMR Lecturer. And just anything really.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Which topic(s) are you dreading to revise/go through atm?
University of York
York
organic vs inorganic vs physical?
Original post by InadequateJusticex
What topic are you dreading to revise/go through atm?

Not really dreading any of it, its a very long story, but i've got massive gaps in my knowledge that would be assumed we know, and suffer from extremely entropic handwriting notating, so I feel a bit behind. Plus some end of term laziness came in.
Original post by High Stakes
organic vs inorganic vs physical?

What specifically, asking how they compared or what I'm doing?
Original post by FailingChemist
What specifically, asking how they compared or what I'm doing?

wat u prefer
Its funny they don't segregate our topics like that, so until I start a course I wouldn't know which it is.

Anything with lots of calculations, so mix of inorganic, physical/quantum.

Organic I like, you start to get a feel for that those electrons are going to do if you pay attention in the main course and do the work, it becomes easy. Just make sure you know your stereo chemistry.

Main group my least favorite, since its like trends observations and attempts to rational odd behaviors.
And do you want to continue working in Chem after your degree? A lot of Chem grads are going into finance industry. You after that money?
Not really dreading any of it, its a very long story, but i've got massive gaps in my knowledge that would be assumed we know, and suffer from extremely entropic handwriting notating, so I feel a bit behind. Plus some end of term laziness came in.

Gaps from what exactly, A level or just the last term?
Original post by High Stakes
And do you want to continue working in Chem after your degree? A lot of Chem grads are going into finance industry. You after that money?

Not to be rude.

I only really want to reply to anything that might be useful for future students or people thinking of applying, not to chat about my life, But since you asked I have no idea what I'll do after this, clueless.

To be polite, as I changed my mind annd i doubt i'm going to be flooded with the questions I was expecting, I will answer more completely for you. This degree is entrely a distrction for me, keep me busy and out of trouble. Science in this crazy world is as close as we can do too make sense out of it. And hopefully, I'll meet lots of interesting people along the way. That's all it is to me.
(edited 8 years ago)
***Ignore what I said earlier peole, ask anyhing you want, I'll be on in the evening after a good be of studying to chat or whatever***

Gaps from what exactly, A level or just the last term?

Both, never did A level, GCSE maths back in 2003, had a 2 A level equivalent BTEC focused mostly on biology. And between term 1 and 2 I had a year long break due to severe illness and didn't do a single bit of revision.

I came here on my first day, knew a little bit about the periodic table, and hoow to add substract and devide.

But it goes to show you don't need t know much prior to undertaking the degree.
I have an offer for chemistry at york (sept 2016) How hard is first year and the maths involved ?:smile:
Original post by SubwayLover1
I have an offer for chemistry at york (sept 2016) How hard is first year and the maths involved ?:smile:

Also most lectures get recorded to playback, but try to go in person or you will miss out some stuff on the blackboard ocasionally, and any of the fun chemical demonstrations, like getting to choke on ammonia from the lecturer chosing the wrong reagent. But there is an optin to catch up whch is good,
If you put in the effort, it will be easy.
The course is not hard, its all about fnding the motivation.

Go to all of the tutorials, attempt all of the work, take notes of the bits that confuse you and always hand it in on time even if its half finished, if you don't understand a question, skip it. Go along to the tutorial and ask all of the those questions, make the most of it

Get into a habbit of reading your handout and notes the day you write/get them, and you will have no problem. It's a lot to do, but it will pay off.

And thats it keep up that habbit and you're ready for your exams in January, with a touch of revion in between.

Maths courses are semi self learning,
Term 1 maths = basic, quadractics smultaneous equastions, functions, algebra, logs, expenents and tiny biit of differentiation. Second half a bit more intense, interpretation of equasions, understanding how they work under different iputs or functions, and a bit on deriving you own eqations from just units, you'll get taught how to do this.

Term 2 Maths Lots of Calculus, complex numbers, powder series vectors. This is meant to bea tuaght caource, but out lecturer is a bit crazy, but help sessions are there. Bit of a warning even A level students sometimes struggle with the Maths Part II, But turn up give it a go ad get help, and you'll manage fine.

Term 1 synthesis easy, everyone does well, term 2 analytical, learn that lab scrip inside ad out, and ask if you are not sure, you can lose so many marks so easily, proper graphs and units are key here get a freind to check through before you hand it in or somethiing.

Just make sure you you pay attention in the Dimensional Analaysis course, it will make phsycal chemstry so easy for the rest of your degree.
(edited 8 years ago)

Both, never did A level, GCSE maths back in 2003, had a 2 A level equivalent BTEC focused mostly on biology. And between term 1 and 2 I had a year long break due to severe illness and didn't do a single bit of revision.

I came here on my first day, knew a little bit about the periodic table, and hoow to add substract and devide.

But it goes to show you don't need t know much prior to undertaking the degree.

That says more about York's course as opposed to a Chemistry degree in general. No offense, but the content you listed for first year was significantly below the level we did in first year in Bristol so don't be quick to imply a chemistry degree is easy.
That says more about York's course as opposed to a Chemistry degree in general. No offense, but the content you listed for first year was significantly below the level we did in first year in Bristol so don't be quick to imply a chemistry degree is easy.

I haven't listed what we did in first year, that was just term 2, and only summaried.
(edited 8 years ago)

This is what we need to do for the full year

Complete Year 1
Term 1
Acids and Bases
First Law of Thermodynamics
Organic Reaction Mechanisms
Periodcity of the Elements
Gases and Equilibria
Structure and Bonding
Quantum Chemistry
Stereochemistry
Srparation Sciences and MC
Synthesis practicals 1 day a week
Skills for Chemists (presentation)
Maths I

Term 2
Molecular Orbital Theory
Solid State
NMR
Srcond Law
Macromolecules
Maingroup Chemistry
Substitutoion and elimination
Alkenes and Alkynes
Aromatic Chemistry
Transition Metal Chemistry
Solid State
Spectroscopy
Kinetics
Analytical Practcals (1 day a week)
Maths II

Term3
Organic CarbonylsBiologcal Moleculle
Physical Chemistry Practicals
And some 3 daylong assessment at the end

Might have missed some out.

Not so lacking now is it?

Also there was a biological mmodule in term one.
(edited 8 years ago)

And I didn't say it was easy, I said you don't neeed to know much prior knowledge to survive it. If i had done A levels, and knew a bit of maths it woud have been easy. But I turned up with an empty head and did just fine.

Just like to say as an older student at York doing chemistry, first year here isn't as 'easy' as the OP is making out- York's course might possibly have first year as a tiny bit 'easier' than other similarly top unis, but the jump from first to second year is pretty damn big (sorry OP)....the department know this and are working on making first year a bit more of a jump from A level to aid all parties involved. The content does get much more advanced immediately in second year onwards.
I for one found first year difficult especially in terms of lab work adjustments especially from A level. The first year first term lectures are dragging in completely new stuff as well as partly recapping A level and from second term it is building on a lot of first term lecture content.

I would never class a chemistry degree as 'easy' hence the inverted commas!
Original post by fenton95
Just like to say as an older student at York doing chemistry, first year here isn't as 'easy' as the OP is making out- York's course might possibly have first year as a tiny bit 'easier' than other similarly top unis, but the jump from first to second year is pretty damn big (sorry OP)....the department know this and are working on making first year a bit more of a jump from A level to aid all parties involved. The content does get much more advanced immediately in second year onwards.
I for one found first year difficult especially in terms of lab work adjustments especially from A level. The first year first term lectures are dragging in completely new stuff as well as partly recapping A level and from second term it is building on a lot of first term lecture content.

I would never class a chemistry degree as 'easy' hence the inverted commas!

No of course not, I wouldn't classify chemistry as an easy degree anywhere (except maybe the likes of london met if they even offer chemistry...), but perhaps it's not as difficult as the other top universities.

But what the hell do I know, I'm a Bristol chemist not a York chemist. Saying that, I wish chem at Bristol was easier, I'm so desperate for a first so you're luckier in that respect :frown:
Well I wouldn't say that, the rest of the degree is blumming hard, I was referring specifically to the first year, we're all having to work our backsides off to get anywhere near a first also second and third year!

Quick Reply

Latest