The Student Room Group

University History essay sample...

I study history at uni, but have not been doing especially well in my essays. To put it shortly, I just don't know what makes a good essay (i.e. a first class essay). So if there is anyone out there who could possibly send me their first-class essay (even just part of it), doesn't matter what period. Its just so I can see the difference between my essay and an actually good one.

I've tired talking to the tutors about what I'm doing wrong but all they say is that my essays are fine... I, however, am not happy with a 2:2. So please if anyone would help that would be great :smile: thank you
Original post by Mushrooms
I study history at uni, but have not been doing especially well in my essays. To put it shortly, I just don't know what makes a good essay (i.e. a first class essay). So if there is anyone out there who could possibly send me their first-class essay (even just part of it), doesn't matter what period. Its just so I can see the difference between my essay and an actually good one.

I've tired talking to the tutors about what I'm doing wrong but all they say is that my essays are fine... I, however, am not happy with a 2:2. So please if anyone would help that would be great :smile: thank you

Heya, what kind of feedback have you been getting for your essays? Do you have anything in writing? That's probably the best place to start figuring out what you can do to improve. Have you been getting 2:2s so far?

Some things to think about:

Are you making original arguments and backing up your arguments with evidence? Do you have a clear argument which carries through the whole essay?

Are you addressing theoretical considerations/historiography as part of your argument?

Are you making sure you're always analytical and not slipping in to patches of telling a story (super easy to do with history!)...?

Do you have a strong introduction and conclusion?

It's difficult to pin-point what makes a first class essay but it's about original thought, going beyond the specification, analysis and not just regurgitating facts. I found this quote from St Andrews which is helpful:

"Writing an essay is not supposed to be a form of worship in which various historical text books are venerated. Although you must always back up your arguments with evidence, you should assume, until proven otherwise, that your mind is as good as anybody else's."

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending