The Student Room Group
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford

Event management: is Surrey the right choice?

Hello,
I'm an international student from Italy and both Surrey and Coventry offered me a spot into their event management courses. I really can't decide which one I should accept. Is university of Surrey as good as tables show? Does it give good job opportunities after graduation? (I would prefer not to continue on postgraduate study). Any oder advice is welcomed!

Thank you
Reply 1
Original post by figureskate
Hello,
I'm an international student from Italy and both Surrey and Coventry offered me a spot into their event management courses. I really can't decide which one I should accept. Is university of Surrey as good as tables show? Does it give good job opportunities after graduation? (I would prefer not to continue on postgraduate study). Any oder advice is welcomed!

Thank you

I have the exact same question as yours, I couldn't pick which one I should go. Is there any advice on which course is more practical and which could provide more opportunity if I'd like to take up internship during the course. Many thanks!
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford
Ciao! Anche io sono nella tua stessa situazione ma sono più propensa per quella nel Surrey. Non sono certa di voler fare event management o hospitality and tourism management..
Hi @figureskate,

I studied at Surrey from 2012-2015, so I'm happy to answer any specific questions you have with regards to accommodation, night life, facilities, the local area etc.

I'm afraid I don't know firsthand what the event management course is like, but one of our student ambassadors, Harry, is really enjoying it. If you contact our Admissions team, they'd be more than happy to put you in touch with a lecturer from Event Management who can discuss the course with you and answer any questions you may have They may even be able to put you in touch with a current student so you can hear about their experience of the course. You can email them on [email protected] or call them on +44 (0)1483682222.

We offer a placement year on all of our programmes, which gives students a year of work experience (normally paid). This is a huge advantage when you're applying for graduate jobs, as you've already experienced what working life is like and having a year of experience on your CV looks great. Students are often offered graduate roles in the company they did their placement with, which really takes the pressure off in your final year as you've already secured employment. You are responsible for securing your placement year, but we already have very strong links with over 2,300 companies across the UK and globally. Graduates have gone on to work in events for BAFTA, The Goodwood Group and the International Air Transport Association. The School of Hospitality and Tourism Management was just voted 5th best school of its kind in the world in the QS World University Rankings a couple weeks ago, so it's highly regarded internationally as well as in the UK.

I hope this helps! If you have any other questions just let me know and I'll try to help

All the best,
Ashley
Hey @figureskate,

Our lovely student ambassador Harry has been kind enough to give us a brief overview of his experience of the Event Management course so far in response to your question:

International Events Management at The University of Surrey is a varied, dynamic and industry relevant mix of modules stitched together by a handful of dedicated lecturers within the wider Esteemed Academic Community here in Guildford with a breadth of industry knowledge and experience. The course marries practical project and event management skills with modules in business law, finance and staging live events to create the perfect professional profile within its graduates. Now three years old, IEM is the newest of the School of Hospitality and Tourism Management's courses (the school itself is actually ranked 5th in the world), and attending will enthuse students about the subject and light a fire which will fuel a passion for the industry for years to come.

I was never totally sure about my future in education nor in industry. One open day at University of Surrey was enough to whet my appetite and convince me this beautiful campus was the place for me!

The course is very hands on and industry relevant and I've been impressed by the standard of lecturing and the amount of opportunity I've been afforded. In my two years thus far I've worked on Surrey Half Marathon, The London Marathon, Ride London, Always The Sun Festival, The International Production Meeting and flown to Malaysia on a scholarship with The International Congress and Convention Association (ICCA)!

The contacts I've made in-industry and the experience and skills I've learned are invaluable for my future career prospects and now I can't wait to get out into the world of Events Management and start having some fun!

Hope this helps! :smile:

All the best,
Ashley

Quick Reply

Latest