The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Firm QMUL or Uni of Southampton

I've applied to History and Politics for both but I'm not sure which one to firm? How's the nightlife? Lectures? Surrounding area of Southampton? I live in London so I'm used to the city scene and the multi- cultural aspect

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BlckPlath
I've applied to History and Politics for both but I'm not sure which one to firm? How's the nightlife? Lectures? Surrounding area of Southampton? I live in London so I'm used to the city scene and the multi- cultural aspect

Hi! The night life round QMUL is fairly good. We're a short walk/bus ride from Shoreditch that has plenty of places to go out. I'm actually from the Isle of Wight, which is fairly close to Southampton, and personally I thought London could offer me more opportunities. Hope this helps! -Sarah
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Reply 2
Original post by Queen Mary University of London
Hi! The night life round QMUL is fairly good. We're a short walk/bus ride from Shoreditch that has plenty of places to go out. I'm actually from the Isle of Wight, which is fairly close to Southampton, and personally I thought London could offer me more opportunities. Hope this helps! -Sarah

Oh is that so?

Why don't you also tell him about the massive pollution around the campus due to the useless constructions going on there along with the large amount of incompetent teachers present.
Reply 3
As a person who has schooled at QMUL, and is ironically transferring to Southampton in September, (Southampton or King's, you can check my profile) I can honestly tell you that Queen Mary is one of the most overrated Universities in England. Don't go there if you want to achieve great things go to Southampton.
Reply 4
Original post by wdkmwd
As a person who has schooled at QMUL, and is ironically transferring to Southampton in September, (Southampton or King's, you can check my profile) I can honestly tell you that Queen Mary is one of the most overrated Universities in England. Don't go there if you want to achieve great things go to Southampton.

I don't hold opinions on either University, but anecdotal accounts don't bolster your opinion. Help OP by explaining your opinions, then if they trust your recount they'll be in a better position.
Original post by wdkmwd
l
What course do you do and what about QMUL is causing you to transfer
Reply 6
Original post by PsychoD
I don't hold opinions on either University, but anecdotal accounts don't bolster your opinion. Help OP by explaining your opinions, then if they trust your recount they'll be in a better position.

If the OP needs further information he can ask for it. I beat to my own drum and say whatever the hell i want. So don't tell me what to do okay?
Original post by BlckPlath

IMO QM, very few course + uni combos can beat the London factor, also, in this particular case - QM has a slight edge Southampton, so there is almost no reason to choose Southampton on the academic side of things.

Were it CS/Engineering i'd say Southampton easily but it's not, I'll probably be making use of the QM campus during masters and visit friends there frequently the campus is really nice and self-contained, the surrounding areas a bit of a predicament but honestly these issues are greatly exaggerated.

All this being said visit both (if you haven't already), see which institution/faculty would be a better fit for you personally.
Reply 8
Original post by rachelbemah
l

Computer science.

I am transferring away from Southampton because for starters, the location of the campus is in a disgusting second-rate sh*thole, infested with unambitious people, the lecture theatres and the accommodations are dreadful and expensive, even for someone of my wealth bracket. The lecturers are a joke, they NEVER reply to student enquiry emails, and the rare occasion where they do, you'll have to wait for at-least a fortnight for a decent reply. And finally my department is so low down the student rankings i might as well just drop out and become a carpenter. Thank heavens my academic achievements allowed me to transfer from one of the worst computer science departments in the UK to one of the best computer science departments in the UK.
Reply 9
Original post by Oilfreak1
IMO QM, very few course + uni combos can beat the London factor, also, in this particular case - QM has a slight edge Southampton, so there is almost no reason to choose Southampton on the academic side of things.

Were it CS/Engineering i'd say Southampton easily but it's not, I'll probably be making use of the QM campus during masters and visit friends there frequently the campus is really nice and self-contained, the surrounding areas a bit of a predicament but honestly these issues are greatly exaggerated.

All this being said visit both (if you haven't already), see which institution/faculty would be a better fit for you personally.

Your delusion is almost as bad as your sentence structure.
l

he's not studying anything at QM, he was inquiring as to whether or not he would be able to transfer to QM/KCL this september.

I've also seen mention of transferring from Hull in his visitor messages despite the thread linked earlier speaking about Brunel.

If you want to know about a particular course at QM i'll see if anyone I know is currently on the course (I don't study at QM myself) and get their reviews for you.
Reply 11
he's not studying anything at QM, he was inquiring as to whether or not he would be able to transfer to QM/KCL this september.

I've also seen mention of transferring from Hull in his visitor messages despite the thread linked earlier speaking about Brunel.

If you want to know about a particular course at QM i'll see if anyone I know is currently on the course (I don't study at QM myself) and get their reviews for you.

You're obviously full of horse **** because I did study at QM. And regretted it.

And now i do have 2 unconditional offers from Southampton and KCL for a transfer.

You lying ringpiece.
Original post by wdkmwd
You're obviously full of horse **** because I did study at QM. And regretted it.

And now i do have 2 unconditional offers from Southampton and KCL for a transfer.

You lying ringpiece.

oh ok then I guess this , this , this or this isn't you.

Just decided to quote one of the sources in case you go on a deleting spree :smile:

Also funny how you went from "being a student at KCL" to having unconditional offers :biggrin:.

Original post by wdkmwd
What are you mentally impeded?And no I'm not a surrey student darling. I'm actually a student at King's and I understand the fact that my Uni is ranked horribly on the NSS, but much like most of British students. I couldn't give a rat's åss about that :smile:

Is there seriously no end to your lying on an internet forum?:bl:
Your lies are harmless so I've never called you out on them, but now lying to misinform prospective students? That's just frigging low.

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 13
oh ok then I guess this , this , this or this isn't you.

Just decided to quote one of the sources in case you go on a deleting spree :smile:

Also funny how you went from "being a student at KCL" to having unconditional offers :biggrin:.

Is there seriously no end to your lying on an internet forum?:bl:
Your lies are harmless so I've never called you out on them, but now lying to misinform prospective students? That's just frigging low.

Spoiler

LOL at your desperation.

At the end of the day, I have studied at Queen Mary, and I am transferring to either King's College or Southampton which ever one i choose and QM is still vastly overrated. You going through my old threads won't change that haha.
Original post by wdkmwd
LOL at your desperation.

At the end of the day, I have studied at Queen Mary, and I am transferring to either King's College or Southampton which ever one i choose and QM is still vastly overrated. You going through my old threads won't change that haha.

yeah cool you studied at QM, Brunel, Hull and KCL simultaneously. And despite currently being a KCL student you are now also in receipt of an unconditional offer for a uni you are already attending.

Totally legit. /s

Wanna add more universities to that list?

You can say what you want from here on out, my post has served its purpose any potential students will see your string of lies neatly presented in one post and will dismiss your misinformation.

/s for your benefit because from past experience you're too dense to understand sarcasm.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 15
yeah cool you studied at QM, Brunel, Hull and KCL simultaneously. And despite currently being a KCL student you are now also in receipt of an unconditional offer for a uni you are already attending.

Totally legit. /s

Wanna add more universities to that list?

/s for your benefit because from past experience you're too dense to understand sarcasm.

I never studied at Brunel or Hull, I only asked those questions based on wishful thinking. I am infact a student at QM and intend to transfer to King's or Southampton. An ignoramus on the internet like yourself believing me or not doesn't affect me in the slightest. Anyone that goes to QM can testify to the fact that what I'm saying about the pollution due to construction sites at QM greatly affects students.

You tried to embarrass me but you failed.

HHAHAHAHAHAH
Original post by wdkmwd
I never studied at Brunel or Hull, I only asked those questions based on wishful thinking. I am infact a student at QM and intend to transfer to King's or Southampton. An ignoramus on the internet like yourself believing me or not doesn't affect me in the slightest. Anyone that goes to QM can testify to the fact that what I'm saying about the pollution due to construction sites at QM greatly affects students.

You tried to embarrass me but you failed.

HHAHAHAHAHAH

Original post by wdkmwd

What are my chances of transferring to queen mary or kings for my computer science degree in 2nd year if i can get a first class in my first year at Brunel University, the University i'm currently in?

You don't need me to embarrass you, you're doing fine yourself.

I'm planning to study Comparative literature
Reply 18
You don't need me to embarrass you, you're doing fine yourself.

I Suggest you log out quick if that's the best you've got.
I'm planning to study Comparative literature

I know someone who studied english lit at QM but haven't spoken to him in 2 years I'll see if he's still willing to talk to me :biggrin:.

Generally speaking QMs english department is solid, I can only really fault their (non-bio) Sciences, engineering and business courses.

What other offers do you hold?
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending