The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Applicant: Scared over module availability

I recently received an unconditional offer to read Film Studies at the University of St Andrews. Before applying, I spoke with one of the uni's admissions staff and expressed my interest in studying a Joint Honours in English & Film Studies. Although I met the entry requirements for both subjects, it was suggested to me that I only apply for Film Studies to allow myself a better a chance of being accepted, as it had the slightly lower entry requirements and then to change at some point during my time at the university to my originally desired Joint Honours.

I have become increasingly concerned, however, that taking the English modules may not be possible. My main concern is that the course will be too full, and I won't get a space to take the modules, therefore ruining my chances of taking it at Honours level in the future.

How likely is it that I will get to take the modules I want? Specifically English is it likely to be too full to accommodate me if I didn't apply for it specifically?
Reply 1
Original post by metamorph0sis
I recently received an unconditional offer to read Film Studies at the University of St Andrews. Before applying, I spoke with one of the uni's admissions staff and expressed my interest in studying a Joint Honours in English & Film Studies. Although I met the entry requirements for both subjects, it was suggested to me that I only apply for Film Studies to allow myself a better a chance of being accepted, as it had the slightly lower entry requirements and then to change at some point during my time at the university to my originally desired Joint Honours.

I have become increasingly concerned, however, that taking the English modules may not be possible. My main concern is that the course will be too full, and I won't get a space to take the modules, therefore ruining my chances of taking it at Honours level in the future.

How likely is it that I will get to take the modules I want? Specifically English is it likely to be too full to accommodate me if I didn't apply for it specifically?

Well if you manage to change then they will have to accommodate you. I suspect they will only find you places on your compulsory modules and for other optional ones you're in the same boat as everyone else.

I know there are some English students on here who may give your more accurate information regarding English modules.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
I can't say definitely of course, but English is normally fine to take as an extra module as long as you have the grades! I'd speak to the department if you're worried though.
Pretty much the only modules that get too full to accept people are the first year International Relations ones.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending