The Student Room Group

Keeping feet flat whilst squatting...

I just can't seem to do it...Whenever I go down into a squat (or attempt to should I say) my heels lift off the ground and going down into a deep squat all my weight ends up on my toes...There's no pain, I just physically cant keep my foot flat..

Anything I can do to help it?

Scroll to see replies

You don't need to do squats, bae.... :love::love::love::love:
I dunno how helpful it is but try and drive through your heels. I also think you're leaning forwards too much on your descent. When you descend make sure your knees aren't well over your toes
Try keeping your toes off the ground, as in lift them up (though this might make you unstable a bit) and forcing the weight to go through your heels. You could also place some small flat weight plates e.g. 2.5/5kg ones under your heels which could help you to use your heels mostly when squatting.

Edit* How do you perform your squat usually? Do you keep your elbows tucked into your sides, back straight with chest extended out, neutral neck position (looking straight ahead in the mirror wall instead of the floor might help also to prevent you from looking down which may make you lean forward) :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
I find using dumb bells help
Reply 5
Might be helpful to squat with a small plate under your heel, or just practice balancing more without the weight first

Posted from TSR Mobile
do it in front of the mirror.

make sure when squatting your knees aren't going over your toes first all, otherwise the pressure goes forward + can also cause knee pain.

also if you're holding the weights in front of you it's going to pull forward, it's better to hold it by your side or like near your butt for some reason it actually works out your butt more..

advice would be, don't go so deep. It's better to go shallower but doing it properly I'd say than "deeper" and doing it wrong. Also, for some "areas" of the butt - shallower with legs together can be better.
Reply 7
try to shift ur weight backwards instead of infront i dunno
Original post by Biryani007
I just can't seem to do it...Whenever I go down into a squat (or attempt to should I say) my heels lift off the ground and going down into a deep squat all my weight ends up on my toes...There's no pain, I just physically cant keep my foot flat..

This is due to a lack of ankle mobility. I see a lot of people with this problem place small plates (often 2.5kg plates) under their heal when they squat.

It can be linked to your calves being tight as well, so foam rolling might be a good idea.
Reply 9
Original post by Boss_Rhythm
You don't need to do squats, bae.... :love::love::love::love:

I definitely do, I'm on a mission to sort out my body :ahee:

Original post by Pavzky
I dunno how helpful it is but try and drive through your heels. I also think you're leaning forwards too much on your descent. When you descend make sure your knees aren't well over your toes

My knees cannot get near my toes without me lifting my heel...they seem to lock as soon as my legs are like the left in this pic, I cant go down like the right without my heels lifting :/

Original post by Random.guy
Try keeping your toes off the ground, as in lift them up (though this might make you unstable a bit) and forcing the weight to go through your heels. You could also place some small flat weight plates e.g. 2.5/5kg ones under your heels which could help you to use your heels mostly when squatting.

Edit* How do you perform your squat usually? Do you keep your elbows tucked into your sides, back straight with chest extended out, neutral neck position (looking straight ahead in the mirror wall instead of the floor might help also to prevent you from looking down which may make you lean forward) :smile:

I've tried that and I just end up falling backwards :/...that makes sense to be honest, I've tried squatting in heels and can do it fine...why is that?

Keeping my posture correct I can only bend my legs like the left side of the pic above, going deeper down my posture gets messed up as I have to lift my heels.

Original post by xobeauty
I find using dumb bells help

How?
I definitely do, I'm on a mission to sort out my body :ahee:

My knees cannot get near my toes without me lifting my heel...they seem to lock as soon as my legs are like the left in this pic, I cant go down like the right without my heels lifting :/

I've tried that and I just end up falling backwards :/...that makes sense to be honest, I've tried squatting in heels and can do it fine...why is that?

Keeping my posture correct I can only bend my legs like the left side of the pic above, going deeper down my posture gets messed up as I have to lift my heels.

How?

One in each hand on your sides or one in front of you held by both your hands
Your hips, hamstring and ankles are tight I imagine. You need to sort that out. Read the FAQ section on it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by alkaline.
do it in front of the mirror.

make sure when squatting your knees aren't going over your toes first all, otherwise the pressure goes forward + can also cause knee pain.

also if you're holding the weights in front of you it's going to pull forward, it's better to hold it by your side or like near your butt for some reason it actually works out your butt more..

advice would be, don't go so deep. It's better to go shallower but doing it properly I'd say than "deeper" and doing it wrong. Also, for some "areas" of the butt - shallower with legs together can be better.

I'm not using any weights until I get my form right and my feet flat...

What I can do is barely a squat tho :rofl:
I want to be able to do a full squat like this:

Spoiler

Original post by PsychoD
Might be helpful to squat with a small plate under your heel, or just practice balancing more without the weight first

Posted from TSR Mobile

Using the plates, will I be able to squat without them after a while or will I always need them?

Original post by zanner
try to shift ur weight backwards instead of infront i dunno

Lol I try but when I go lower it just switches...I can't help it and my heels rise :/

Original post by ABsoluteX
This is due to a lack of ankle mobility. I see a lot of people with this problem place small plates (often 2.5kg plates) under their heal when they squat.

It can be linked to your calves being tight as well, so foam rolling might be a good idea.

Any ways to improve ankle mobility? Will I always need to use the plates or will I be able to do without after a while?

Gotta google foam rolling :lol:

Any ways to improve ankle mobility? Will I always need to use the plates or will I be able to do without after a while?

Gotta google foam rolling :lol:

Foam rolling worked for me, as well as getting the physio from my rugby club to give me a rub down.
Original post by PsychoD

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is what I do.

That's a good way of identifying if a person has ankle flexibility.

However squatting heavy/ reasonably heavy - if you mess up you fall with weight which is a one way street to snap city

Posted from TSR Mobile
Try duct taping your feet to the floor.
Original post by Angry cucumber
Your hips, hamstring and ankles are tight I imagine. You need to sort that out. Read the FAQ section on it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you..

Foam rolling worked for me, as well as getting the physio from my rugby club to give me a rub down.

Realised my posture was kinda off and I was shifting my weight to my toes :rolleyes: I can go down into squat but not a 'third world squat' without my heels rising...my sister and parents can do it just fine, it's just me :/

Will look into foam rolling, thank you..

Im literally exactly the same... Screws up my leg day workout. Ive tried many times with people etc but still cant do it.

Get a pair of weightlifting shoes.

Quick Reply

Latest