The Student Room Group

Compsci Choices for Scottish Applicant?

Hi, might apply to Compsci next year, also interested in AI too!

I want to study in Scotland, because it's cheaper.
So far my Scottish choices are:
Edinburgh Minf
St Andrews
Glasgow

But I'm a bit torn between English unis:
Out of UCL/Warwick/Bristol/Notts/Manchester/Southampton which 2 are best for career prospects?

Also how good is Glasgow compared to the other English unis? Nobody seems to recommend Glasgow for CS on tsr?

Ps, sorry if this has been asked before million of times!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by muchensmile

Edinburgh Minf
St Andrews
Glasgow

Out of UCL/Warwick/Bristol/Notts/Manchester/Southampton which 2 are best for career prospects?

Also how good is Glasgow compared to the other English unis? Nobody seems to recommend Glasgow for CS on tsr?

If you're confident about your grades, I'd recommend you to pick UCL and Warwick.

Not as confident then probably Notts and Southampton which are lower down in reputation compared to the other unis in your list.
Reply 2

Edinburgh Minf
St Andrews
Glasgow

Glasgow is OK for CS, maybe on par with Notts/Manch. St Andrews and Edinburgh are meant to be really good so consider them strongly. English unis: UCL is best in my opinion for grad prospects followed by Warwick. Out of all of them, UCL is best in my opinion, with Edin/Warwick being very close behind. Being in central London is great, we placed top in the REF for CS and we have some pretty decent modules. Full disclosure: I'm at UCL.
Reply 3

Edinburgh Minf
St Andrews
Glasgow

Edinburgh Uni is the best department for AI in the UK, and that's where I'm going 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TVIO
Glasgow is OK for CS, maybe on par with Notts/Manch. St Andrews and Edinburgh are meant to be really good so consider them strongly. English unis: UCL is best in my opinion for grad prospects followed by Warwick. Out of all of them, UCL is best in my opinion, with Edin/Warwick being very close behind. Being in central London is great, we placed top in the REF for CS and we have some pretty decent modules. Full disclosure: I'm at UCL.

I think you'll find that they are the same lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Princepieman
I think you'll find that they are the same lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

For CS? Nah m8, UCL avg. starting salary is like 5k higher. Though I guess being in London, that basically evens out to the same.

Edinburgh Minf
St Andrews
Glasgow

IMO

Edinburgh is the best uni out of those for CS, then UCL/Warwick/Bristol/St As then Notts/Southampton/Ed/Glasgow.

I'd pick Edinburgh and Glasgow for the Scottish ones, then Warwick, UCL and Nottingham/Bristol. Disclosure: this is what I did (Notts, Bris, UCL and Warwick) except I'm biased against Edinburgh for rejecting me last year lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Thanks everyone for their opinions, very helpful!
For now, potential unis will be:
Edinburgh
St. A
UCL
Warwick
Glasgow or Bristol
:smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending