The Student Room Group

PwC Flying start degree - insight

Hi all,

My names Ashleigh and I'm currently in third year at Newcastle University, studying on the Flying Start degree with PwC.

I just wanted to give you a brief explanation of how the degree works and to let you know if you have any questions whether related to the degree or Newcastle, I'm here to help!

I currently do placements with PwC in the Leeds office in Assurance. This is during each university year, we take three months out of study to go on placement, and then go back to sit our exams.

I chose this degree beause I believe it puts you above everyone else when you all graduate. As you have experience with a highly regarded company and a professional qualification. You also get offered a graduate job at PwC if you meet the requirements, which the majority of people do, due to the support you receive on the degree.

For the application process, you apply on UCAS like any other degree and get invited to sit some online tests. If you get through that stage you get invited to Newcastle to attend an interview and group assessment. The day is really relaxed, they spend most of it telling you about the degree and how it works so that your as relaxed as possible for your interview. If you receive an offer after this, you can confirm this as your first choice on UCAS and will get a place if you make the A-level requirements.

I found out about the degree through my colege teachers, however I found most people on course found out through parents friends, therefore we are trying to inform people of the opportnities in PwC as widely as we can!

This is a really great opportunity as it gives you a fast track to a professional qualification and you get so much support and experience along the way!!

Anyway, thanks for reading! Let me know if you have any questions, no question is too silly!

Ashleigh :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi Ashleigh,I have a few question I hope you are ok with answering!

1. How much quicker is this route rather than applying to PWC and obtaining your ACA as a graduate?

2. Is it unheard of for students to obtain their ACA qualification and then leave PWC and use the qualification in 'the city'?

3. How easy is it to progress through the 'hierarchy' at PWC?

Thank you for your time!!
Hi Gill,

The degree means that you become fully chartered about 12 months before the normal graduate, it also means you don't have to sit your ICAEW exams whilst working full time as you sit them at university.

No, the company works on the basis that they expect some people to leave once they become qualified to find other careers.

It's quite easy to progress as the majority of people get promoted to the next grade each year and by the time you get to applying to management, there is a lot less competition, so going up the hierarchy is quite easy if you work hard.

Anymore questions let me know!!
Hi,
Sorry I'm a bit late to post but would pwc view a A grade in A level business as the same as a A grade in another subject. I ask this as business studies is seen as a weak subject so if I pick it will I be at a disadvantage?
Thanks in advance.
Hi,
Yes, all A levels are viewed the same, I did A level business too.
Ashleigh
Reply 5
Hi Ashleigh,

Thanks for the reply!
I know it may seem some time away but how quickly could you make partner at PwC if you were to really apply yourself at work?
Also, how did you find missing large chunks of university life for you placements?
Reply 6
hi, I have my assessment day at Newcastle next week and was wondering if you had any interview advice!
Original post by alb3
hi, I have my assessment day at Newcastle next week and was wondering if you had any interview advice!

Hi! I'm going to an assessment day at Newcastle next week too- is this the one on the 13th? Have you done much preparation for it so far? :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Sophie178
Hi! I'm going to an assessment day at Newcastle next week too- is this the one on the 13th? Have you done much preparation for it so far? :smile:

Hi, yeah it’s the same one! I’ve just done what I can off the pack/document thing they sent us, what about you?
Hi,Make sure you are friendly and show that you are a team player.Being part of a team is key for the job and they want you to do well in the group task.Make sure to do some research to show you've made an effort and just try to he yourself.
Original post by alb3
Hi, yeah it’s the same one! I’ve just done what I can off the pack/document thing they sent us, what about you?

Yeah, same here!
Original post by AshleighFlyingS
Hi,Make sure you are friendly and show that you are a team player.Being part of a team is key for the job and they want you to do well in the group task.Make sure to do some research to show you've made an effort and just try to he yourself.

Great, thanks for your insight!
Reply 12
Hi Ashleigh.. currently I am in year 10 n contemplating on trying to take up the Flying Start degree of PWC.. Any suggestions on what A level subjects will be preferred by the Universities and PwC?Appreciate your reply
Reply 13
Hi Ashleigh.. currently I am in year 10 n contemplating on trying to take up the Flying Start degree of PWC.. Any suggestions on what A level subjects will be preferred by the Universities and PwC? Maths is One of the A level subjects I will be taking. Bit confused about the other two.
Appreciate your reply
heyy
what about the student life?
Do you need to take student finance for this course or it is funded by the organisation
Original post by AshleighFlyingS
Hi all,

My names Ashleigh and I'm currently in third year at Newcastle University, studying on the Flying Start degree with PwC.

I just wanted to give you a brief explanation of how the degree works and to let you know if you have any questions whether related to the degree or Newcastle, I'm here to help!

I currently do placements with PwC in the Leeds office in Assurance. This is during each university year, we take three months out of study to go on placement, and then go back to sit our exams.

I chose this degree beause I believe it puts you above everyone else when you all graduate. As you have experience with a highly regarded company and a professional qualification. You also get offered a graduate job at PwC if you meet the requirements, which the majority of people do, due to the support you receive on the degree.

For the application process, you apply on UCAS like any other degree and get invited to sit some online tests. If you get through that stage you get invited to Newcastle to attend an interview and group assessment. The day is really relaxed, they spend most of it telling you about the degree and how it works so that your as relaxed as possible for your interview. If you receive an offer after this, you can confirm this as your first choice on UCAS and will get a place if you make the A-level requirements.

I found out about the degree through my colege teachers, however I found most people on course found out through parents friends, therefore we are trying to inform people of the opportnities in PwC as widely as we can!

This is a really great opportunity as it gives you a fast track to a professional qualification and you get so much support and experience along the way!!

Anyway, thanks for reading! Let me know if you have any questions, no question is too silly!

Ashleigh :smile:

whats the online test like?
Reply 17
Hey, I know this thread is from a year ago but thought it was worth asking, is extra-curricular and experience important? What types of things are they looking for/did you have? :smile:
Original post by emaya1
Hey, I know this thread is from a year ago but thought it was worth asking, is extra-curricular and experience important? What types of things are they looking for/did you have? :smile:

applied to reading one and I mentioned both in my PS
Reply 19
thanks for replying! do you have any suggestions as to what types of extra curricular activities or experience are desirable for this degree?

Latest

Trending

Trending