The Student Room Group

2016 | OCR A2 Advancing Physics B | G494 & G495 | 20th & 28th June

Scroll to see replies

That was certainly interesting... Lots of wordy questions. I couldn't do the exponential disproof at all because the data that I used actually did follow an exponential relationship.. I'm fairly certain I also mucked up the double mass half pressure question where I chose the line with gradient 1. Fairly certain that gradient 1/4 was correct. Oh well, I just hope that G495 is a bit better because I really need an A.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 41
Original post by Polyrogue
Was struck with a splitting headache just before the exam :'( had to battle through it the entire time. I think I did quite well, but given the constant throbbing pain I feel right now I can't be sure.

What did u do for the one with wide range of values of helium energy and the one right after with boltsman factor
Original post by VlAd x
What did u do for the one with wide range of values of helium energy and the one right after with boltsman factor

I guessed it was talking about Brownian motion, and so how all the particles would be randomly colliding and exchanging momentum and energy. Could be wrong.

And to the other guy about the exponential disprove, I found that the p.d halved at like 2 s, from 6V to 3V, but then at 4s (i.e. supposedly 2 half lives later) it went down to 1V instead of 1.5V.

Idk if that's right but it makes sense.
Reply 43
paper was fine i thought, apart from the 10 mark question using the vacuum, absolute crap honestly.
Reply 44
Original post by danthebox
paper was fine i thought, apart from the 10 mark question using the vacuum, absolute crap honestly.

i hope they take 10 marks off of the usual mark for an A.
Reply 45
Original post by Polyrogue
I guessed it was talking about Brownian motion, and so how all the particles would be randomly colliding and exchanging momentum and energy. Could be wrong.

And to the other guy about the exponential disprove, I found that the p.d halved at like 2 s, from 6V to 3V, but then at 4s (i.e. supposedly 2 half lives later) it went down to 1V instead of 1.5V.

Idk if that's right but it makes sense.

half lives were not constant, therefore wasn't exponential decay. i.e. 6 to 3 was 2 seconds, 3 to 1.5 was 4 seconds.
hard paper, rip
Reply 47
The one about the vacuum was just a joke, who writes that rubbish?
My calculator betrayed me, gave me k= 16 rather than k= 13 (2 S.F.) .

:angry:

But yeah that vacuum thing.
Reply 49
Thoughts on grade boundaries??
Quite enjoyed that tbh, don't see the problem with the vacuum question, interesting concept with forces and pressure... :cute:
Reply 51
Original post by Wunderbarr
My calculator betrayed me, gave me k= 16 rather than k= 13 (2 S.F.) .

:angry:

But yeah that vacuum thing.

What were the numbers used in that question? I can't remember
Original post by js1953
What were the numbers used in that question? I can't remember

5 oscillations in 3 seconds (one oscillation 0.6 seconds), 0.12kg mass
Reply 53
Original post by uk_shahj
5 oscillations in 3 seconds (one oscillation 0.6 seconds), 0.12kg mass

Thanks! What equation did you use? I'm trying to work out what I did wrong and I can't get anything close now :/
Original post by Jbird1
Thoughts on grade boundaries??

Well based on the usual grade boundaries I'd say 40 for an A, 39 for B, 38 for C, 37.5 for D, 37 for E and <37 for a U
Original post by js1953
Thanks! What equation did you use? I'm trying to work out what I did wrong and I can't get anything close now :/

T = 2pi sqrt( m/k )
Reply 56
T = 2pi sqrt( m/k )

Needed to square T :/ hopefully I get a mark for rearranging for k
Reply 57
What was the answers to the distribution one?
0.5 and 8 or 0.5 and 2??
Original post by duxlen
What was the answers to the distribution one?
0.5 and 8 or 0.5 and 2??

I put 0.5 and 8.

definitely 0.5 but not entirely sure about 8.
I put 0.5 and 8.

definitely 0.5 but not entirely sure about 8.

I put 0.5 and 8 as well. Maybe we all made the same mistake though

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending