The Student Room Group

2016 | OCR A2 Advancing Physics B | G494 & G495 | 20th & 28th June

Gathered I should create a thread for the OCR B syllabus.

Please post resources and any tips for exam!

Link for OCR B Spec:
http://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/as-a-level-gce-physics-b-advancing-physics-h159-h559/

Website with all past papers from the old syllabus:
http://rswebsites.co.uk/science/Documents/A%20Level%20Physics/Physics%20Past%20Papers/Index.htm

Matthew Arnold School with question sets for Section C for G495 2016:
https://sites.google.com/a/maschool.org.uk/physics/home/as-and-a2-physics/advance-notice-2016-a2-g495

Also a link for this years pre release material for section C on G495 only:
http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/291835-unit-g495-advance-notice-article-june-2016.pdf

I have also made a .doc version of the pre release material, so if you would like that message me.
I also have examquest, so if you would like question sets please message me.

Happy revising!
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi! Thanks for creating this thread. I've added it to the A Level Exam Directory Thread which you can find here. You can use that to find discussions about your other exams too :parrot:
You're a bloody life saver! Been looking all over for advance notice questions🙏🙏🙏
Reply 3
Original post by carysholland
You're a bloody life saver! Been looking all over for advance notice questions🙏🙏🙏

i think the school upload various question sets, well they did for G492 last year so!!
Anybody got tips with time management for G494? I just finished a paper with only about 5 mins left to check my answers meaning I had quite a lot of dropped marks due to mistakes/carelessness and cutting corners
Original post by Fangedbeast
Anybody got tips with time management for G494? I just finished a paper with only about 5 mins left to check my answers meaning I had quite a lot of dropped marks due to mistakes/carelessness and cutting corners

Maybe flick through the paper at the beginning and dealing with the questions on topics you like first so they are done with quick then you can focus all your time on the harder ones knowing that the amount of time you have left isnt needed for anything else
Reply 6
who's ready for this exam on monday?
Does anyone have any official/unofficial mark schemes for the G495 pre release questions from Matthew Arnold school? I'd really really appreciate them!
Original post by danthebox
who's ready for this exam on monday?

Knowing the amount of times OCR has made me say "OCR'S F#!@ED US AGAIN!" since year 10, it may be best to just worry about revising off-spec' material xD .

But in all seriousness G494 is much more pleasant to revise than G491 was so hopefully it won't be too bad, especially with the extra 15 minutes as well.
It astounds me how empty this thread is compared to most exam ones.

Somebody tell me June 2014 was an unusually hard paper, and that I'm not just stupid for finding it really tough.
Original post by Polyrogue
It astounds me how empty this thread is compared to most exam ones.

Somebody tell me June 2014 was an unusually hard paper, and that I'm not just stupid for finding it really tough.

I think that's because most people do OCR Physics A. Even my college, which has been teaching B for years, has now decided to switch to the new spec A for the first years.

What in particular did you find hard about June 14? I find that the timings are still an issue for me and am hoping for a straight forward section A.
Original post by notrodash
I think that's because most people do OCR Physics A. Even my college, which has been teaching B for years, has now decided to switch to the new spec A for the first years.

What in particular did you find hard about June 14? I find that the timings are still an issue for me and am hoping for a straight forward section A.

I should clarify that this is G494. Yes I think mostly that it took ages, far longer than it should have, and also touched on some odd/uncommon stuff, like using 1/3nmc² a fair bit, as well as that explanation of Boltzmanns constant bit, as well as the watery bit, haha.

I just need to remember more things, like impulses and force being the change in momentm, etc.

Also, they're scrapping this particular syllabus, I'm pretty sure. Or at least, changing it. So we're the last ever students to take G494 and 5.
I should clarify that this is G494. Yes I think mostly that it took ages, far longer than it should have, and also touched on some odd/uncommon stuff, like using 1/3nmc² a fair bit, as well as that explanation of Boltzmanns constant bit, as well as the watery bit, haha.

I just need to remember more things, like impulses and force being the change in momentm, etc.

Also, they're scrapping this particular syllabus, I'm pretty sure. Or at least, changing it. So we're the last ever students to take G494 and 5.

Ah yes I assumed G494 since that's the first one. They do indeed have a new spec, but the new B spec and old B spec do not differ by much. I have the new spec textbook for my revision because the old spec one is horrible.

With the bolzmann questions I always have the tendency to go into too much irrelevant detail… I'm probably just going to do as many papers as I can to hopefully remember how to do the tricky questions :/
Ah yes I assumed G494 since that's the first one. They do indeed have a new spec, but the new B spec and old B spec do not differ by much. I have the new spec textbook for my revision because the old spec one is horrible.

With the bolzmann questions I always have the tendency to go into too much irrelevant detail… I'm probably just going to do as many papers as I can to hopefully remember how to do the tricky questions :/

Yep! I have the new textbook too. The annoying part is that I've also got three other exams next week :/

Including Maths the day after G494... ugh.
I always flop on the derivations and longer written questions :<

Only got 2 papers left - still not feeling 100% confident

p.s anybody got any other ideas for revision (apart from past papers)? I've got some revision cards and I'm going to skim the CGP guide tomorrow
Yep! I have the new textbook too. The annoying part is that I've also got three other exams next week :/

Including Maths the day after G494... ugh.

Edexcel C3?
Lots of exams for me too because in my infinite wisdom I decided to continue with 4 A-Levels.
Edexcel C3?

Just the one, haha. C4 on Friday, with Computing sandwiched between.

A Computing exam, I might add, that my inept teacher didn't plan well enough to teach us the whole thing before lessons ended.

/rant
Just the one, haha. C4 on Friday, with Computing sandwiched between.

A Computing exam, I might add, that my inept teacher didn't plan well enough to teach us the whole thing before lessons ended.

/rant

Hey we're doing the same exams then! We were literally doing COMP3 theory up until the last day of teaching and even then we missed out details here or there. My college has the textbooks available in the library so I took one out over half term and made notes on the stuff that we didn't cover in enough detail. The week after next will be interesting for me since the FP3 and S2 exams clash. *sigh*
Do we need to know much on luminosity for the g494?
Original post by brouser79
Do we need to know much on luminosity for the g494?

UwotM9 ?

I highly doubt you need to know that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending