The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I do Sociology and Psychology and I think they go very well together.

If you want to go into journalism English Language might be a better option, just a suggestion. :smile:
Reply 2
yah i do psychology and sociology, and they are closely linked, such as research methods

hope this helps
Reply 3
moomins
I do Sociology and Psychology and I think they go very well together.

If you want to go into journalism English Language might be a better option, just a suggestion. :smile:

I thought this before too, but I asked my english teacher and she said literature is a lot more useful in which the way you contrast and compare a lot of things as well as the fact that universities love literature and I'm definitely wanting to go to uni. :]
Reply 4
Also, how difficult is it to get A's in both?
I only did sociology, but lots of people at my school did both- it's a very popular combination. They interlink because both cover theory and methods and research studies, but psychology is more science based. How difficult it is to get an A depends how good you are, as with any other subject. They're both essay subjects, so they'll also go well with English lit.
Reply 6
yehh its ok AS is ok then you get to A2 then u have to learn like 50 million studies lol between both pyschology and socio

i take both of them and now i find it soo boring..lol
not to put you off or anything
but to answer your question yeah you can relate some studies and espcially methods!
Reply 7
They go very well together in terms of research methods and terminology, and also for comparing the social sciences against each other.

However, due to slight overlaps you may find it getting boring, but that's totally subjective. I'm ending up finding both get slightly more boring as the time went on, but then others doing both realy liked them - so it's down to the individual.

The difference though I guess is that sociology is has a lot more waffle and psychology is more factually based. If you were bright you might for example be able to get away without revising much for soc' but you'd never be able to get away with it for psych. That's not to say that one is easier than the other though by any means.
Reply 8
I took psychology and sociology and the things that I learned in one would help with things I learnt in the other. I often found that the sociologists were a step ahead in psychology lessons because we'd covered similar topics (but from a different angle, obviously).

I also took philosophy which helped with both. :p:
Reply 9
Ya me too. i took sociology and psychology nd its a breath of fresh are when doing research methods together as its less hard work~ mind you i got a D in sociology research methods exam :-(
i do both, and it's a decision I'm glad I made.
For both there are lot of theories/theorists, evaluations, studies, dates, and notes. Revision is essential!
I'm wanting to do Journalism as well, but only after uni.
Btw, you dont have to have any specific subjects at any specific level to do Journalism; all you need are your NCTJ qualifications. It's just that something like 60% of entrants are graduates, so a degree would help :wink:
Reply 11
I took both for AS - Psychology and Sociology definitely compliment each other more directly, with both having a research methods module. It's a lot of revision though - very content heavy for both!

For journalism, however, maybe look into English Language? Or maybe even Media Studies?

I'm not much of an authority of Journalism but I *think* you have a bit more freedom with your A Level choices than in other choices, such as Medicine. I can see why all your choices would benefit you.

But don't take my word for it. :smile:

Latest