The Student Room Group

Getting an A in Chemistry and Biology AS

What is the best method, so far I have just been doing past paper after past paper after past paper. In some papers I score 90% in others 50% what should I do? I think in Biology I really need to go over the key topics in each area and try to improve my knowledge bcause there are just some areas I don't understand, but for chemistry it is very good mostly. Does anyone who has done/doing these have any ideas? Im doing edexcel for both btw. Thanks
Reply 1
Bio - memorise & regurgitate the mark scheme! First learn all the mechanisms, reactions, processes, factors etc etc from a good revision guide (Collins is excellent for Edexcel). Then plunge into past papers and just keep doing them, because they repeat themselves.

Chem - less memorisation and more understanding. You should go through the content using a revision guide/textbook a least once so that you get everything in your head. For Unit 2, make sure you know the organic reactions and conditions, and know the little things (alkene + Hbr --> H goes on the carbon with the most number of hydrogens etc). For paper 3B know all your tests for gases, cations and anions, be able to draw reflux and distillation equipment, plan an experiment including a titration and making up a standard solution, etc. Chem papers get very repetitive after a while too!
Reply 2
with me, I just try to understand them all then I can remember. Practise some exam papers . Go for exams, guess and see what U got. I think just thinking common sense and it's gonna be ok.
If you try ur best n not get A , go play games or shopping or eating to relax. :P Life is too short. I prefer enjoying it.

Latest