The Student Room Group

Has anyone self-taught A-level Maths?

Has anyone self-taught A-level Maths? If so, what grades did you get? Did you struggle at all? How much did you study/revise? I ask because I'm a mature student teaching myself Maths and am struggling a lot with the material :frown:
Reply 1
i tried teaching myself a level maths as well but you certainly need guide to understand them.
im a year 9 and doing A level maths 2 year early. it tough cause the teacher is busy helping others and im left behind.
Reply 2
Original post by Philip-flop
Has anyone self-taught A-level Maths? If so, what grades did you get? Did you struggle at all? How much did you study/revise? I ask because I'm a mature student teaching myself Maths and am struggling a lot with the material :frown:

I did - ended up with 596/600, it didn't require much study and about 2 hours a day for three months with copious breaks; varies from person to person and we're all going to be different, so I'd advise you to ignore on what others do and do what works best for you. :smile:

I'm assuming you're learning it from a textbook. Maths is a subject where you learn by doing so make sure you're going through all of the examples and doing all of the exercises. If there are things you simply can't understand, that's where you've got the disadvantage as a private candidate because you don't have a teacher to explain things; however, there are lots of good YouTube channels that go through A Level problems (such as Maths247 and KhanAcademy [not A Level specific but still great] to mention but a few) which can be extremely useful. It's worth doing this even if you think you do understand it; I self-taught M1 and then realised months later that there was a much better way of thinking about a type of question that I only realised when I watched a video of someone else solving it.

I should add that TSR is a really awesome resource if you're self-teaching because you can pretty much guarantee that someone will answer your maths question in minutes so it's almost as good as having a teacher :smile:
Yes I think you can do this; if you find it difficult, try to use Youtube videos. Examsolutions seems to be a favourite for people stuck on certain maths topics
Original post by Zacken
I did - ended up with 596/600, it didn't require much study and about 2 hours a day for three months with copious breaks; varies from person to person and we're all going to be different, so I'd advise you to ignore on what others do and do what works best for you. :smile:

So you're saying you picked up and started learning A-level Maths 3 months before you had exams? That's so impressive!! Did you do both AS and A2 in one sitting?
Reply 6
So you're saying you picked up and started learning A-level Maths 3 months before you had exams? That's so impressive!! Did you do both AS and A2 in one sitting?

Yes, picked it up in September 2015 along with FM AS and A2 (-FP2/3 because they're not available in January) and well as Physics and sat the exams in January 2016.

But as I said, ignore what everybody else does - we all pick things up at our own pace, so there's no need to feel pressured into anything. Do what you feel is right for you.
Original post by Zacken
Yes, picked it up in September 2015 along with FM AS and A2 (-FP2/3 because they're not available in January) and well as Physics and sat the exams in January 2016.

But as I said, ignore what everybody else does - we all pick things up at our own pace, so there's no need to feel pressured into anything. Do what you feel is right for you.

Wow!! that's so good!! I thought they stopped any exams being held in January?
Reply 8
Wow!! that's so good!! I thought they stopped any exams being held in January?

It's nothing special, honest. I'm an international student (IAL) so we have January sessions.
Original post by Plagioclase
I'm assuming you're learning it from a textbook. Maths is a subject where you learn by doing so make sure you're going through all of the examples and doing all of the exercises. If there are things you simply can't understand, that's where you've got the disadvantage as a private candidate because you don't have a teacher to explain things; however, there are lots of good YouTube channels that go through A Level problems (such as Maths247 and KhanAcademy [not A Level specific but still great] to mention but a few) which can be extremely useful. It's worth doing this even if you think you do understand it; I self-taught M1 and then realised months later that there was a much better way of thinking about a type of question that I only realised when I watched a video of someone else solving it.

I should add that TSR is a really awesome resource if you're self-teaching because you can pretty much guarantee that someone will answer your maths question in minutes so it's almost as good as having a teacher :smile:

Yeah, you're right, I definitely have a disadvantage when I get stuck on certain questions. It's okay if I'm doing past papers because I just check how to work through questions on ExamSolutions if I'm having trouble.

Original post by PricklyPorcupine
Yes I think you can do this; if you find it difficult, try to use Youtube videos. Examsolutions seems to be a favourite for people stuck on certain maths topics

Thank youuuuuu! I think I just need to have a little more faith in myself! I just really want to get the best grades I possibly can! :frown:
Original post by Zacken
It's nothing special, honest. I'm an international student (IAL) so we have January sessions.

Oh yeah I forgot international students still have January sittings!! Did you study Maths when you were back at school? I hadn't studied Maths for 6 years until now (September 2015). I had so much to catch up on in the beginning but still feel like I'm miles behind everyone :frown:
Original post by OfficialDuck
Also, I'm currently self teaching and it's very fun! Make sure you use ExamSolutions for topics you don't understand

Oh you're self-teaching too? Did you do Maths at GCSE? What made you decide to self teach it for A-level?
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest