The Student Room Group

King's College London vs Birmingham for medicine

I'm a medicine applicant that's currently in year 13. As of about 5 hours ago, I've heard back from all the medical schools I applied to -
Oxford - rejection, pre-interview
Manchester - offer - AAA
King's College London - offer - AAAC
Birmingham - offer -A*AA
(And Bristol - offer for biomed - AAB)

I'm torn between KCL and Birmingham at the moment. Whilst King's is more prestigious, and my mum/the rest of my family/school expect me to firm it, I didn't love it when I went for the offer holder's day (but I didn't hate it either). There seem to be a lot of international students/south Asian students who know each other already and it was very cliquey at the offer holders day - doesn't bode well for the beginning of term, does it? As a black student, I was a minority (which isn't a problem in itself) which will take some getting used to :lol:

Birmingham is less cliquey but it doesn't offer full body dissection and I feel that my family would be disappointed in me if I went there. I personally think it's a fantastic university but they don't think it's very good.

Thoughts? I would appreciate any current/former students who could give me some pros and cons of the universities. Thanks! :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by happydays101
I'm a medicine applicant that's currently in year 13. As of about 5 hours ago, I've heard back from all the medical schools I applied to -
Manchester - offer - AAA
Birmingham - offer -A*AA

I'm torn between KCL and Birmingham at the moment. Whilst King's is more prestigious, and my mum/the rest of my family/school expect me to firm it, I didn't love it when I went for the offer holder's day (but I didn't hate it either). There seem to be a lot of international students/south Asian students who know each other already and it was very cliquey at the offer holders day - doesn't bode well for the beginning of term, does it? As a white student, I was a minority (which isn't a problem in itself) which will take some getting used to :lol:

Birmingham is less cliquey but it doesn't offer full body dissection and I feel that my family would be disappointed in me if I went there. I personally think it's a fantastic university but they don't think it's very good.

Thoughts? I would appreciate any current/former students who could give me some pros and cons of the universities. Thanks! :biggrin:

You're the one who'll have to spend most of your time there, not your family, so if you truly feel uncomfortable at Kings, and more at home at Birmingham, go with your gut instinct.
Reply 2
Original post by happydays101
Manchester - offer - AAA
Birmingham - offer -A*AA

There seem to be a lot of international students/south Asian students who

So you rather go to Birmingham?

The Asian capital of Britain?
It seems like you've already made up your mind :smile: Go to Birmingham!

At the end of the day, all medical schools are equal so it's best to go to the place you'll adjust to best. It'd suck if you went to KCL and constantly thought "What if?" for the 5 years of your degree.
Original post by wdkmwd
So you rather go to Birmingham?

The Asian capital of Britain?

... Really? :O

Original post by melanin101
It seems like you've already made up your mind :smile: Go to Birmingham!

At the end of the day, all medical schools are equal so it's best to go to the place you'll adjust to best. It'd suck if you went to KCL and constantly thought "What if?" for the 5 years of your degree.

Ah no, not really - I just couldn't be bothered to type an essay for Birmingham since I'd done one for King's :lol:

That's a very good point tbh, wouldn't want to be stuck what-ifing :/
Reply 5
In the same dilemma at the moment haha, and completely agree with your opinions on the offer day
Reply 6
Honestly, your family need to mtob. It's your life, and you are the one who has to spend 5 years there. A good decision made for the wrong reasons can still be a wrong decision.

Full body dissection is swings and roundabouts for me. There are pros and cons between dissection and prossection. Ultimately you should go to the place where you think you'll be happiest, and therefore more able to learn.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending