The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

Joining gym at Cardiff

Looked at the full gym membership at Cardiff uni gym and it's £380 for the year. This seems like a lot for a uni gym-- other unis have membership included in their accommodation. Is it worth it? I want to be able to do good classes as well as use a good gym with good equipment etc.

Do many students instead opt for cheaper gyms in Cardiff like thegymgroup or puregym? :smile:

(I don't actually have a medicine offer from Cardiff yet but I'm thinking ahead for in case I do (lol I won't))

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
thegym and puregym is 24 hours plus is pretty decent, you're safe to go with them. If you're going to spend £380 for the year you're best off joining a high standard gym.
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Original post by Fibsy
Looked at the full gym membership at Cardiff uni gym and it's £380 for the year. This seems like a lot for a uni gym-- other unis have membership included in their accommodation. Is it worth it? I want to be able to do good classes as well as use a good gym with good equipment etc.

Do many students instead opt for cheaper gyms in Cardiff like thegymgroup or puregym? :smile:

(I don't actually have a medicine offer from Cardiff yet but I'm thinking ahead for in case I do (lol I won't))

Posted from TSR Mobile

From what I've heard the uni gym gets very busy as well. While a student I joined Vitality (£11 a month but unfortunately the city centre branch has closed :frown: ), and easygym, for a year each. Easygym is fine and bigger than the student one...but depends which halls you're in as to how far it would be to walk.
Depends what you get for your money plus quality of the equipment. PUre Gym and The Gym are pretty good. if they are close enough. Proximity is very important in how often you go. they are also rolling monthly contracts.
Reply 4
Thanks everyone! One drawback I suppose is how you meet other students at the uni gym, whereas you'd be by yourself at some 24 hour gym somewhere in the city.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I use easygym which is £18.99 a month (so you can cancel for over summer) and pretty good! I signed up when there was no registration fee (another £18.99) so that was a bonus. It's not 24 hours but it's open until quite late.
Drawback and advantage is it is on the high street (so you can see people and vice versa).
It can get quite busy some days but I've never had a problem trying to use the machines as there was always one free of whatever I wanted to do.
Reply 6
Oh great, so there's easygym, puregym and thegymgroup, all roughly similarly priced. Does anyone know if a lot of students use them to save money?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fibsy
Oh great, so there's easygym, puregym and thegymgroup, all roughly similarly priced. Does anyone know if a lot of students use them to save money?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Go and vist each one and do a pros and cons.

How close, what the atmosphere is like, rolling contract and qualiyu of equipment are important. there will be students based on proximity to uni or uni residence. They offer good value for money. one of them should be obvious and if you dont like it then cancel.
I joined easygym and absolutely hated it. It's so full of uni students who don't want to pay for the uni gym. I'd go through my snapchat and often seen videos people had filmed of other people in easygym. The staff don't care what you do, it's chaotic.
Then I joined The Gym on Newport Road, it's further out of town but it's worth it. 24 hour, cheaper and much much more friendly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending