The Student Room Group

Failure..,

(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Habina786xx
I went to my Art teacher first and she was so positive and lovely saying she loves my work and she will photocopy it for her next year 10 class...

I then went to my English teacher... My english teacher is really rude in class, he always does group work and we have to work with other people in class and i really hate it because people talk about rubbish. For example, i have a girl and a guy on ny table who talk about drugs and girls... And when sir comes over they suddenly start talking about the work and i just sit their quietly writing my ideas out..
As soon as i took my dad to him, i went to thim second. He started off to negative he didnt say anything positive. Im currently on a solid D, and he said i can get on a border like of a C at the end of year 11 and i only started GCSE English!
He also said im lazy, i lack effort and im slacking... I got a bit angry i never talk but i said "SIR last year i was in set 5 and i use to get the highest in the class, our teacher explained everything we never did group work or anything and since year 10 im getting low grades now". And he says well thats awesome but thats the nation curriculum grade not GCSE. And my dad just said thanks and went... He also started asking my dad how many books i read and how im doing in English?? Like how does my dad know?????!!!

I feel like such a big faliure and disappointment , i can't concentrate in other lessons any more because ill just get a C for english at the end of year 11 according to him!
I cant aleep its 6:36AM !
I dont know what to do!

MOVE ON you have one year to prop up youre grades use your time wisely and practice practice practice for English its not an easy subject..Your not a failure and in your next teast you need to show this to your teacher ok?
Reply 2
Original post by malaikaxx
MOVE ON you have one year to prop up youre grades use your time wisely and practice practice practice for English its not an easy subject..Your not a failure and in your next teast you need to show this to your teacher ok?

😓😔
Thank you X

Posted from TSR Mobile
😓😔
Thank you X

Posted from TSR Mobile
It seems to me the reason you're struggling in lessons is because you learn in a different way to the way your teacher prefers (I had a similar issue too with GCSE history). Although you may not want to, I really think you need to put more of an effort into contributing into the class work and also try doing extra at home to catch up. Have you considered possibly asking to switch groups or explaining to your teacher the situation so he understands? I understand you may not want to, but at the end of the day this is your education and you can't stay quiet and let other people drag you down. If all else fails, get an English tutor :smile: Chin up though, your teacher seems like a very pessimistic dude and if you put your mind to it I'm sure you can achieve a C or better.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by goldenshades
It seems to me the reason you're struggling in lessons is because you learn in a different way to the way your teacher prefers (I had a similar issue too with GCSE history). Although you may not want to, I really think you need to put more of an effort into contributing into the class work and also try extra at home to catch up. Have you considered possibly asking to switch groups or explaining to your teacher the situation so he understands? I understand you may not want to, but at the end of the day this is your education and you can't stay quiet and let other people drag you down. If all else fails, get an English tutor :smile:

Thank you soo much 😔❤️❤️

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Use this as motivation to prove your teacher wrong I would.
I love when people say negative things I can't do this or get that cause it spurs me on to show how wrong they were.
Reply 6
Original post by chikane
Use this as motivation to prove your teacher wrong I would.
I love when people say negative things I can't do this or get that cause it spurs me on to show how wrong they were.

Omg love your reply ❤️
That is great but at the moment im feeling down!! Tbh this got me to work harder for longer periods of time X 🙏🏼

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you soo much 😔❤️❤️
And yes im going to speak to him on Monday!
Maybe to switch classes? Or tables

Posted from TSR Mobile
No problem :smile: I think you should take small steps and first ask to switch tables to a group you fully know concentrate in lessons; if things still don't work out, it may help to go over notes with your friends after lessons so you can fully understand what was covered in class. It's all about adapting, really, but if you feel like you really can't progress in class then you can consider switching classes (but go to your head of year about this though not him).
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Thank you soo much 😔❤️❤️
And yes im going to speak to him on Monday!
Maybe to switch classes? Or tables

Posted from TSR Mobile

Buy lots of revision guides from WHSmiths to help you at home, don't worry too much about it, perhaps the Teacher knows you are capable of much more and he was giving you a hard time thinking it may help to get you there.If so its working as already you are going to engage more, sometimes they have to be cruel to be kind.
Best way forward is to see it as Sir 'Caring' about you and not as a personal attack, which it wasn't.
When life gives you lemons make lemonade! Go for it and prove him wrong, he will be please to see you trying hard.
Honestly just stop worrying.

I couldn't relate to the teaching style of any of my teachers and it inhibits your ability massively. Also some teachers can just take an instant dislike to you just as we do with other people. In their profession, they really shouldn't. But it's human nature to judge and sometimes it doesn't go in your favour. As I said, I had a tough time getting on with pretty much all of my teachers, but I basically started just using them instead of actively participating in their class and making their lives easy. I wrote down the information they gave me and did most of the work at home. Essentially just teaching myself in the way I like to be taught using their information. Everyone is capable of doing well if they work out how to study and learn.

I didn't do great come exam time but I could have done hell of a lot worse. Your grades are just a reflection of the time and effort put in.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by swissy9
Buy lots of revision guides from WHSmiths to help you at home, don't worry too much about it, perhaps the Teacher knows you are capable of much more and he was giving you a hard time thinking it may help to get you there.If so its working as already you are going to engage more, sometimes they have to be cruel to be kind.
Best way forward is to see it as Sir 'Caring' about you and not as a personal attack, which it wasn't.
When life gives you lemons make lemonade! Go for it and prove him wrong, he will be please to see you trying hard.

Awww thank youu ❤️
TSR you are AMAZING and full of POSITIVITY!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Omg love your reply ❤️
That is great but at the moment im feeling down!! Tbh this got me to work harder for longer periods of time X 🙏🏼

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes that feeling will pass find something you enjoy to occupy yourself to take your mind off things.
Like someone else said go to your teacher or speak to your head of English and express your concern they want students to get the best grade so should help.
Reply 12
Pull your finger out your ass, stop sulking, prove the ****er wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by chikane
Yes that feeling will pass find something you enjoy to occupy yourself to take your mind off things.
Like someone else said go to your teacher or speak to your head of English and express your concern they want students to get the best grade so should help.

What

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by ryan9900
Honestly just stop worrying.

I couldn't relate to the teaching style of any of my teachers and it inhibits your ability massively. Also some teachers can just take an instant dislike to you just as we do with other people. In their profession, they really shouldn't. But it's human nature to judge and sometimes it doesn't go in your favour. As I said, I had a tough time getting on with pretty much all of my teachers, but I basically started just using them instead of actively participating in their class and making their lives easy. I wrote down the information they gave me and did most of the work at home. Essentially just teaching myself in the way I like to be taught using their information. Everyone is capable of doing well if they work out how to study and learn.

I didn't do great come exam time but I could have done hell of a lot worse. Your grades are just a reflection of the time and effort put in.

Thank you ❤️😔

Posted from TSR Mobile
Good adbice above. use it as a reason to be motivated and try harder.
If you are only predicted a C, then you need to find out why (be honest) amd yopu meed to put things right. Its only a prediction and not a guarantee. Its still possible for you to change what result you will get, but you have to make the effort yourself. You cna either work with the teacher or in extreme circumstances ask to move classes. If you cnat speak to your teacher then go and speak to your form tutor (whatever they call them), head of english, head of year.

Tell them what happened and you think its unfair and the reason you get low marks is because of the teaching style. Ofc it could be down to the other reasons such as you not making the effort and working hard or your general ability. tell them you are worried and wnat to do well and are prepared to do extra work.

Maybe the teacher had a point about your attention and participation? If you up your grades then they have less cause for complaint.
Reply 16
Original post by 999tigger
Good adbice above. use it as a reason to be motivated and try harder.
If you are only predicted a C, then you need to find out why (be honest) amd yopu meed to put things right. Its only a prediction and not a guarantee. Its still possible for you to change what result you will get, but you have to make the effort yourself. You cna either work with the teacher or in extreme circumstances ask to move classes. If you cnat speak to your teacher then go and speak to your form tutor (whatever they call them), head of english, head of year.

Tell them what happened and you think its unfair and the reason you get low marks is because of the teaching style. Ofc it could be down to the other reasons such as you not making the effort and working hard or your general ability. tell them you are worried and wnat to do well and are prepared to do extra work.

Maybe the teacher had a point about your attention and participation? If you up your grades then they have less cause for complaint.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Your teacher may have made some valid points. the key is you have a desire to get a better grae which means listening to what they have to say and probably working harder. be honest about your own role in this.
Reply 18
Original post by 999tigger
Your teacher may have made some valid points. the key is you have a desire to get a better grae which means listening to what they have to say and probably working harder. be honest about your own role in this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Tbh i sit quietly my group doesnt even talk about the work and i just sit down and do my work...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Then from a teacher perspective you arent getting involved and showing luttle interest. Mothing wrong with showing the teacher you cna participate and make a contribution. (this bcomes very importnat later for confidence, but also when you go for jobs)Try and answer a few questions every lesson.

One trick i used to use was to answer a few questions I knew the answer to , which avoids the teacher asking you questions for which you dont know the answer.

You have plenty of time to change and improve your grade, but it depends on you making an effort. No need to feel down, just sort out the problem and be smart for your own benefit.

Quick Reply

Latest