The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Is it possible to transfer from Open University to University of Edinburgh?

I am planning on doing 1 part time (so 2 actual years) with the Open University, BA (HONS) in Languages (Spanish / French) after these 2 years would it be logical to beleive I would be accepted into a program at Edinburgh? I didn't really think so, knowing what a high ranking Uni it is, but if anyone knows the real answer, I'd appreciate the insight. Thank you very much.
Short answer is no, you almost certainly can't transfer. You might be able to use Open University credits to gain entry into year 1 (in effect using the OU as an alternative to A levels); I did this and I was accepted for a language degree. Check with the admissions tutor to be sure.

There some student finance issues to consider, basically you absolutely cannot study with the OU for longer than ONE YEAR or you won't receive a full tuition loan to do your degree at Edinburgh, or anywhere else.
(edited 8 years ago)
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Original post by Snufkin
Short answer is no, you almost certainly can't transfer. You might be able to use Open University credits to gain entry into year 1 (in effect using the OU as an alternative to A levels); I did this and I was accepted for a language degree. Check with the admissions tutor to be sure.

There some student finance issues to consider, basically you absolutely cannot study with the OU for longer than ONE YEAR or you won't receive a full tuition loan to do your degree at Edinburgh, or anywhere else.

I was planning on paying as I go, I did not want to take out any loans with the OU. Does tht make a difference?
Original post by Alexa.Pereira
I was planning on paying as I go, I did not want to take out any loans with the OU. Does tht make a difference?

Unfortunately it doesn't matter if you pay for the OU yourself or take out loans. Student finance counts all previous study, no matter where you did it (UK or abroad) or who paid for it. But as long as you don't study for more than 1 year, you're fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending