The Student Room Group

Third class degree, what next?

I'm in my final semester of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Liverpool. From my results, it looks like I'm on a third class degree. I did try quite hard, but the course was just so hard and I'm lucky that I passed everything so far.
Anyway, in terms of jobs, or masters degrees, what next? Is it best for me to go abroad?

I don't want any silly responses, I've already heard 'work at Mcdonalds' or 'become like Carol Vorderman.' She got famous for her tits, and I don't have tits.

Scroll to see replies

You still have your final exams/assessments, don't you? Surely it is possible to push it up to a 2:2 at least. Don't "try quite hard" this time, give it all you've got.

You do not want to come out with a Third, trust me on that. A friend of mine did and she really struggled. You won't be able to get onto a Masters course at a good uni either.

You've got around 2 months to turn this around, you can do it.
You'll have to get a job.
You really need a 2.2 for your degree to be used directly with anything.
Reply 3
Original post by WBZ144
You still have your final exams/assessments, don't you? Surely it is possible to push it up to a 2:2 at least. Don't "try quite hard" this time, give it all you've got.

You do not want to come out with a Third, trust me on that. A friend of mine did and she really struggled. You won't be able to get onto a Masters course at a good uni either.

You've got around 2 months to turn this around, you can do it.

It's too late now. It was possible until I got my first semester results.
Original post by smirnoff
It's too late now. It was possible until I got my first semester results.

What if you get Firsts in your finals? Would that make a difference? If not then I have a few suggestions for you, but please make this a last resort.
Reply 5
Original post by WBZ144
What if you get Firsts in your finals? Would that make a difference? If not then I have a few suggestions for you, but please make this a last resort.

Yes, if I get a first in these finals then that would push it up to a 2:2
Yes, if I get a first in these finals then that would push it up to a 2:2

Good, then please do everything you can to get Firsts in your finals. No matter what anyone says, you are capable. I got Firsts in my exams by spending most of my days in the library during the last month before they started. Don't give up and keep reminding yourself that this is the last chance you've got and that it will be over soon.
Reply 7
Original post by WBZ144
Good, then please do everything you can to get Firsts in your finals. No matter what anyone says, you are capable. I got Firsts in my exams by spending most of my days in the library during the last month before they started. Don't give up and keep reminding yourself that this is the last chance you've got and that it will be over soon.

ok then, I'll try, best to think of options after the degree is actually awarded.
Of course everyone needs a back-up plan. Make this your last resort instead of settling for a Third though. Do you have any work experience?
Original post by WBZ144

If I could just bring us all back into the real world. If OP is on course for a third, it's not likely they'll be able to get firsts in their final exams.
Reply 10
Original post by WBZ144
Of course everyone needs a back-up plan. Make this your last resort instead of settling for a Third though. Do you have any work experience?

Yes actually quite a bit of experience. To be honest I don't want to stay in the UK and want a job abroad.
Reply 11
Actually I was suffering from a few mental health problems during my degree. I suffered from depression and anxiety and am still on medication.

My anxiety has subsided a bit and that's why to be honest I don't really care too much about the future. I'm just interested on knowing what options are there available from people who get third class degrees.
Original post by Phoebe Buffay
If I could just bring us all back into the real world. If OP is on course for a third, it's not likely they'll be able to get firsts in their final exams.

This, although you should try your best.

You will find a 3rd a hard sell. I would do some postgrad professional qualifications if I were able. get a job and work yourself up. Your options for using your degree for much are really limited im afraid.

In rare situations some government departments just ask for a degree. If you have mental helath problems then submit mitigating circumstances if your GP will back you. they are only going to take it seriously if at some stage you showed potential i,e you were steady 2:1 and have suddenly dropped to a 3rd imo.

Go and visit careers or join national careers and talk to them.
(edited 8 years ago)
Actually I was suffering from a few mental health problems during my degree. I suffered from depression and anxiety and am still on medication.

My anxiety has subsided a bit and that's why to be honest I don't really care too much about the future. I'm just interested on knowing what options are there available from people who get third class degrees.

Have you spoken to anybody at your university about these mitigating circumstances?
Reply 14
Have you spoken to anybody at your university about these mitigating circumstances?

I have submitted mitigating circumstances. They said marks can not be changed. I.e. If I get 40-49, it is a third.
They can however compensate a pass on modules that have been badly affected by the condition. However the mark will remain the same.
I have submitted mitigating circumstances. They said marks can not be changed. I.e. If I get 40-49, it is a third.
They can however compensate a pass on modules that have been badly affected by the condition. However the mark will remain the same.

thats entirely correct, surely? they cnat change the grade standards, they cna change the marking for what you score.
Reply 16

I don't reall have much advice, other than to say that I know what this is like and that I can empathize. Also understand that the road can be hard coming out of a degree like that, but your work/career/job title doesn't define you. Get healthy, stay healthy, and take small steps to improve your inner and outer circumstances.

There are places in the world where just having a degree is all that matters:smile: Not to mention, at least you got a 3rd/Tutu in ME and not in English Lit :smile:. You have skills :smile:. Look for paying work abroad, learn another language, or work somewhere like Bermuda. If you can get on the grades rung, the rest won't matter.

Start looking for your work abroad opportunities as soon as you can and prepare yourself to be eligible for them. Good luck :smile:
I'm in my final semester of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Liverpool. From my results, it looks like I'm on a third class degree. I did try quite hard, but the course was just so hard and I'm lucky that I passed everything so far.
Anyway, in terms of jobs, or masters degrees, what next? Is it best for me to go abroad?

I don't want any silly responses, I've already heard 'work at Mcdonalds' or 'become like Carol Vorderman.' She got famous for her tits, and I don't have tits.

1. Work your ass off and ensure you get at least a 2.2. You can still have your degree on your CV that way
2. Get work experience
3. Consider that your field is not for you, consider other fields and get work experience on them before you graduate
4. Choose and do one of the 3 above NOW
I've heard it mentioned on TSR before(hardly gospel I know:smile:) that you can drop out of a year and then restart it so anything you've done during that year won't count. That way could knuckle down next year and try to get a higher mark.

This is where the exact problem lies. Do you think that the OP should not at least try for it before giving up?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending