The Student Room Group

Tips on making my university application look good?

So aside from the obvious things like good grades, volunteering/work experience and so on. What kind of things do universities look for? I'm interested in applying to King's College London, Cambridge, Warwick and possibly University College London. I'll be applying to study Law.

What can I do to make an application look good/better and also, what do universities look for?
Reply 1
Original post by Karaleigh19
So aside from the obvious things like good grades, volunteering/work experience and so on. What kind of things do universities look for? I'm interested in applying to King's College London, Cambridge, Warwick and possibly University College London. I'll be applying to study Law.

What can I do to make an application look good/better and also, what do universities look for?

I went to UCL and am now doing the GDL, so not a massive difference in paths to you. I would say that obviously academics are important, but showing a genuine interest in the subject/area, backed up by work experience and obvious independent research will go a long way. Universities want to know that the person they are offering a place can get the grades and compete academically, but will also maintain focus and not drop out etc.

Of course, extra-curricular and volunteering etc shows that you're very keen to get involved and universities will love that.

Personally, however, I think that what made my applications successful (I got through to interview at Oxford but didn't get it) was that I made it clear that I had gone far above and beyond my A level curriculum, and not just to look good. It was simply because I have a deep interest in my undergraduate subject.

Are you going to law talks? Do you read the legal press? Are you aware of current legal issues, such as the proposed SRA super exam that would seriously alter solicitor training? It's good to be on top of these things, and show that you're seriously committed to the degree you're applying for.
Original post by Pushtaki
I went to UCL and am now doing the GDL, so not a massive difference in paths to you. I would say that obviously academics are important, but showing a genuine interest in the subject/area, backed up by work experience and obvious independent research will go a long way. Universities want to know that the person they are offering a place can get the grades and compete academically, but will also maintain focus and not drop out etc.

Of course, extra-curricular and volunteering etc shows that you're very keen to get involved and universities will love that.

Personally, however, I think that what made my applications successful (I got through to interview at Oxford but didn't get it) was that I made it clear that I had gone far above and beyond my A level curriculum, and not just to look good. It was simply because I have a deep interest in my undergraduate subject.

Are you going to law talks? Do you read the legal press? Are you aware of current legal issues, such as the proposed SRA super exam that would seriously alter solicitor training? It's good to be on top of these things, and show that you're seriously committed to the degree you're applying for.

Thank you so much. I'm going to get focused on actually showing an interest in law. What other things can you recommend like law talks/staying up to date etc?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending