What courses have people chosen to start in September? I chose:
Standard level: Maths Studies, Biology and Japanese B
Higher Level: English Lit, History, Social & Cultural Anthropology

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm still deciding on my options, but so far I've got:
Standard Level: Mathematics, Economics/History and Chinese B
Higher Level: English LangLit, Chemistry and Economics/History

If anyone's got any advice on which subject I should pick for HL and SL (History and Economics), please go on ahead. I'm considering studying law in university, but I've heard that the IB History HL course is strenuous. It would definitely make my application stand out, but at the same time, I'm worried that I'll fail History at HL.
Reply 2
Yeah I heard the same about HL History but it's my favourite subject that's why I chose it
Original post by nusquam

If anyone's got any advice on which subject I should pick for HL and SL (History and Economics), please go on ahead. I'm considering studying law in university, but I've heard that the IB History HL course is strenuous. It would definitely make my application stand out, but at the same time, I'm worried that I'll fail History at HL.

I do HL History; I am in my final year and will be taking my exams in two months. I strongly recommend doing HL History; unless you have a burning desire to do Economics, I urge you to choose History. Why? For three reasons
1) more respected
2) although high in content, grade boundaries are low
3) SL History is not much less than HL (one paper fewer), and so it makes sense to do it at HL
Original post by katodizzle
What courses have people chosen to start in September? I chose:
Standard level: Maths Studies, Biology and Japanese B
Higher Level: English Lit, History, Social & Cultural Anthropology

Popped this into the IB forum for you! :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Changing Skies
Popped this into the IB forum for you! :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you!
I sent my form in today and I chose:

HL: Biology, Chemistry, and English lit.

SL: German ab initio, Maths, and Business

I feel like I might change from Business, I'm already starting to regret it and I haven't even started the course yet... :biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by nusquam

I don't take IB Econ, but I take History HL (taking the exam in May) and have a lot of friends in Econ. If you want to do Law I'd suggest going with History HL. You're absolutely right it's a tough course, but it's very manageable as long as you do your reading. It's not a course where you can really get by without doing that. Also, it's extremely essay-based which will be good for a Law degree. I know in my course we did some political philosophy and Enlightenment thinking which is helpful for understanding some modern law too, so I'd really suggest History HL.
Reply 8
Original post by afern
I don't take IB Econ, but I take History HL (taking the exam in May) and have a lot of friends in Econ. If you want to do Law I'd suggest going with History HL. You're absolutely right it's a tough course, but it's very manageable as long as you do your reading. It's not a course where you can really get by without doing that. Also, it's extremely essay-based which will be good for a Law degree. I know in my course we did some political philosophy and Enlightenment thinking which is helpful for understanding some modern law too, so I'd really suggest History HL.

Thank you so, so much! How much reading do you do on average? Would you say that it's a subject that requires you to study 1 hour per day, or maybe 5-6 hours per week?

I'm currently leaning towards taking HL History - I've spoken to some of the History teachers at my school and they've said the same stuff as you, so thanks again!
Reply 9
Original post by francais123
I do HL History; I am in my final year and will be taking my exams in two months. I strongly recommend doing HL History; unless you have a burning desire to do Economics, I urge you to choose History. Why? For three reasons
1) more respected
2) although high in content, grade boundaries are low
3) SL History is not much less than HL (one paper fewer), and so it makes sense to do it at HL

Thanks so much! I'm leaning towards studying History at HL currently. Do you know how low the grade boundaries are?
Original post by nusquam
Thanks so much! I'm leaning towards studying History at HL currently. Do you know how low the grade boundaries are?

They change, of course, depending on the year, but normally between 65 and 70%
Reply 11
Original post by nusquam
Thank you so, so much! How much reading do you do on average? Would you say that it's a subject that requires you to study 1 hour per day, or maybe 5-6 hours per week?

I'm currently leaning towards taking HL History - I've spoken to some of the History teachers at my school and they've said the same stuff as you, so thanks again!

My teacher assigns a lot of reading, but personally I found that I very quickly got good at skimming it so that I know what happened and get the big ideas, but don't get overwhelmed. We actually talked about this in class once, and my teacher said that's exactly why he gives so much reading because skimming is a good skill for getting through piles of reading at uni! I don't really study until I have a test to study for. I've found the best way is to make outlines as I go along and annotate my reading so that I can go back and study the key things easily. If you're one to study as you go though, yeah it's probably 1/2 an hour to an hour a day.
Original post by francais123
They change, of course, depending on the year, but normally between 65 and 70%

Oh okay, thanks a lot!
Original post by afern
My teacher assigns a lot of reading, but personally I found that I very quickly got good at skimming it so that I know what happened and get the big ideas, but don't get overwhelmed. We actually talked about this in class once, and my teacher said that's exactly why he gives so much reading because skimming is a good skill for getting through piles of reading at uni! I don't really study until I have a test to study for. I've found the best way is to make outlines as I go along and annotate my reading so that I can go back and study the key things easily. If you're one to study as you go though, yeah it's probably 1/2 an hour to an hour a day.

I see. After hearing this, I'm not as daunted as much by HL History, so thanks a lot for the useful tips/advice. I appreciate it!
I'm starting the IB this september and have decided to take:

Standard level:
English
History
Maths studies (maybe fast tracked or with maths a level alongside)

Higher level:
Biology
Chemistry
German (might swap this for english or history if it is too hard!)

Does this sound like a good combination?
Original post by jazzjsaunders
I'm starting the IB this september and have decided to take:

Standard level:
English
History
Maths studies (maybe fast tracked or with maths a level alongside)

Higher level:
Biology
Chemistry
German (might swap this for english or history if it is too hard!)

Does this sound like a good combination?

What do you want to study in the future?
Original post by juliette.vo
I sent my form in today and I chose:

HL: Biology, Chemistry, and English lit.

SL: German ab initio, Maths, and Business

I feel like I might change from Business, I'm already starting to regret it and I haven't even started the course yet... :biggrin:

Not gonna lie, I have friends who do IB Business now and they regret taking it, but hope it goes well for you :smile:
Original post by nusquam
What do you want to study in the future?

Probably medicine or dentistry :smile:
Original post by jazzjsaunders
Probably medicine or dentistry :smile:

That would be fine. The primary subjects you should be taking are Biology and Chemistry anyway. Personally, I would bump up English to HL, since English is always useful.

However, since you're certain you're taking medicine, why are you taking History? I feel as though Psychology would be more useful.
Original post by nusquam
That would be fine. The primary subjects you should be taking are Biology and Chemistry anyway. Personally, I would bump up English to HL, since English is always useful.

However, since you're certain you're taking medicine, why are you taking History? I feel as though Psychology would be more useful.

Because i enjoy the subject and im good at it at the moment so i think i could get a higher grade in it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending