The Student Room Group

Can we finally agree the Premier league isn't the best now?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hussm
Sorry but your opinion of the Serie A is pretty outdated.

It's outdated if we base it on this season alone, but I try to avoid knee-jerk reactions in my posts; should we proclaim Leicester as the major force in England? In previous seasons Serie A had a lower goalscoring average than the top 3 leagues (by roughly 0.3 per game). Plus, Juventus have dominated the last 5 seasons (they won by 17 pts in 14/15 and 13/14) and Inter dominated from 2005 to 2010. Buffon recently went 974 minutes without conceding.. they will pull away from all teams again this year.

Serie A is far behind the top European leagues in terms of revenue growth:

https://www2.deloitte.com/content/dam/Deloitte/global/Documents/About-Deloitte/gx-deloitte-uk-arff-2015-highlights.pdf

Thus, there is a real lack of world-class (attacking) players; who are the attacking spearheads of Serie A? Higuain?

As for style of play, I obviously don't have the time at university to watch the full matches closely enough. Although Roma (ex-girlfriend supports them) were very dull in the last two seasons of Rudi Garcia.
Original post by Mancini
I don't think this has ever happened in the premiership but may well occur in the Spanish primera division were the top teams are just way too strong for the small teams.

That was my point. I don't want a 2-3 team league with everyone else being fodder

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
Original post by sr90
That was my point. I don't want a 2-3 team league with everyone else being fodder

Posted from TSR Mobile

Me neither but competitiveness can also mean a lack of quality at the top and that certainly is the case int he Premiership. In fact it is getting worse.
Reply 23
Original post by A$aprocky
Only idiots that dont know anything about football think the premier league isnt the best.

AKA most English football fans, which isn't surprising when you look at our press and pundits.
Reply 24
Original post by al_94
The premier league was never the best it was a myth created by English elitist. These are the same people that used to think the English national team was great. Saying the premier league is the most entertaining is just meaningless that's just an opinion I don't agree with that.

It is why they claim it, you cannot properly disprove the term entertainment. I don't think it is elitism though, just parochialism and stupidity.
Reply 25
Original post by JamesN88
The overseas viewing of the Premier League far outstrips any other league in the world which is proof IMO that it is the most entertaining, otherwise it wouldn't be so popular worldwide. In terms of quality at the top we have slipped a bit in the last 5 years as our poor outings in Europe show.

I think that is mainly because of marketing. The Premiership is the richest and best marketed league, that is not up for question, entertainment? I don't see it. It is true the bottom sides can beat the top but that is more a comment on the lack of quality at the top than strength of depth.
Reply 26
I do not think it ever was.
Reply 27
Original post by sr90
It was for a period when we had the "big four". Remember when UEFA had to appoint a corrupt referee to stop a second successive United v Chelsea final?

Anyway, I'd rather have a competitive league than going back to the days where you knew the big four couldn't be broken and none of the promoted sides had much hope of staying up. Bournemouth for example are doing brilliantly I'd rather have that than seeing them lose 8-0 to Chelsea or 7-1 to Arsenal every time

Posted from TSR Mobile

Conspiracy theories aside, there were 2 or 3 years where our performances in the CL could be a basis for claiming it was the best league but that is little more than anecdotal evidence in the longer term.

I'd rather see quality football than West Brom v Aston Villa. There is enough money in the league to make even small sides competitive without wishing for the top sides to be so poor.
Original post by Damien96
Conspiracy theories aside, there were 2 or 3 years where our performances in the CL could be a basis for claiming it was the best league but that is little more than anecdotal evidence in the longer term.

No there wasn't. Two or three teams doing well in a competition doesn't prove anything other than the fact that those two or three teams are good. It gives you no information about the league they compete in.
AKA most English football fans, which isn't surprising when you look at our press and pundits.

Its the most competitive and unpredictable, compared to other leagues where 3 or 4 teams dominate the entire league. Just look at Chelsea for example.
It's interesting at the moment and this is coming from a Chelsea fan.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
Me neither but competitiveness can also mean a lack of quality at the top and that certainly is the case int he Premiership. In fact it is getting worse.

Just because the top teams are having a bad season does not mean they are getting worse, at the end of the day there can only be a certain amount of great players at one time. Perhaps the premier league has already peaked at this point but I think the premier league within the last decade had the strongest top four teams and league anywhere.

It's hard to create a model for success when many teams have copied it and this makes it harder for even the top teams to win.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by A$aprocky
Its the most competitive and unpredictable, compared to other leagues where 3 or 4 teams dominate the entire league. Just look at Chelsea for example.

One season out of the last 15/20 years where it's been unpredictable
Original post by Tom_BCFC

Its not all about the winners. Its about the unpredictability of the matches. Other leagues matches are so predictable, following the same trends. Tbh i cant be bothered to explain the true value and excitement the premier league has. You wouldnt understand.

I'd rather see quality football than West Brom v Aston Villa. There is enough money in the league to make even small sides competitive without wishing for the top sides to be so poor.

How often do you have to watch games like that though? Hardly ever.

I doubt Getafe vs Elche is any better tbh.
Reply 35
Original post by Feel Tha Bern
I don't watch football anymore so I don't care, but two or three amazing teams playing absolutely spectacular football is preferable to dull wet rainy nights in stoke where they're playing absolute cavemen in every position who have muscles, but no technical ability, just hoofing it up to the strikers.

It's not actually that entertaining seeing upsets every week if the standard of play is total shite.

Actually it is 'that'entertaining seeing upsets even if the standard of play is not that good.

The very viewing figures around the world show this.

What people like yourself actually mean is you don't find it as entertaining.

You're in a minority.

The Premiership this season has been absolutely enthralling and I can't wait for next season.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 36
Original post by Tom_BCFC

Ah.But you have conveniently forgotten about the sheer drama of the relegation battles.

One of the main reasons the Premiership is so brilliant is because being relegated can be disastrous for many clubs.

Hence there is often more drama at the bottom than at the top.

Ironically ,this season the relegation battle has been very much a damp squib.
Most football games are ****ing boring now.

Premier league may be the most entertaining, but apart from that and being more unpredictable, it has nothing else going for it.
Reply 38
I think that is mainly because of marketing. The Premiership is the richest and best marketed league, that is not up for question, entertainment? I don't see it. It is true the bottom sides can beat the top but that is more a comment on the lack of quality at the top than strength of depth.

Jesus.

If you want entertainment just take an amount of money you can't afford to lose and bung it all on Everton to finish in the bottom half at 4/6.

There's entertainment for you.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 39
Original post by IamJacksContempt
Most football games are ****ing boring now.

Premier league may be the most entertaining, but apart from that and being more unpredictable, it has nothing else going for it.

I refer you to my previous post.

Quick Reply

Latest