The Student Room Group

Black boy turns down cambridge due to lack of 'music scene'

Hey guys, my sociology teacher gave me this homework task to complete and it was basically to search for different news articles and decide why they had been considered 'newsworthy'
I came across this one and thought it would provoke a lot of thought and discussion which would help me with my homework:biggrin:

Here it is:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2003581/Cambridge-No-thanks-got-music-scene-What-17-year-old-rapper-told-university-bosses.html

I'd like as much responses from this as possible so if anyone doesn't want to read the entire article, here's a quick summary:

- Franklyn Addo (17) grew up in a very tough estate in London and is an aspiring rapper
- He got 100% in his sociology AS exams
- Got accepted to study to study Politics, Psychology and Sociology at Cambridge- Turned down Cambridge and chose LSE instead
- Says he prefers the modern buildings rather than the old cathedral-style ones in Cambridge
- Says it would have been difficult for him to carry on with music if he went to Cambridge

Why has this even been reported? - why was it considered 'newsworthy'?
Maybe there's more to this story?
Shouldn't we hear more to his side of the story? (idk, but I feel like there's more to someone rejecting Cambridge than there being 'no music scene' - maybe news articles have put this statement out of context)
Is this story a way of making black people seem short sighted?
Could there be any other reasons he turned down the University that wasn't mentioned?

I'd like people to contribute to this thread so I can have a lot to say in my essay (hence why I'm also doing an assembly on it in school as I find it really interesting to hear other people's opinions on this topic)

Also, if trolls could refrain from any form of racial abuse pls :o: :redface:

P.S. Sorry for the extreme use of clickbait in the thread title lol

THANKS IN ADVANCE!:u:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
'Black boy' as well, not even student smh
Reply 2
I think this story shows something important and what goes against the people who want equal results, people are different and are driven by different things.
More power to him!
Why are you even remotely interested in this.
No one likes Cambridge anyway - it's a **** uni :yep:

:ninja:

:flute:
He has his priorities straight.

He doesn't care about networking(Not that his rap career would be improved by the networking at Cambridge) and chose to go someplace he feels more at home.

The Cambridge name doesn't mean anything to the future he envisions.

I wouldn't choose to go to Cambridge, either.
Reply 7
Original post by GOKU27
'Black boy' as well, not even student smh

sorry, didn't mean to offend:frown:
thought that stating the fact that he was black would encourage people to think more sociologically about why the story was even reported
It's his choice and if it's not right for him, he has shown an impressive level of maturity in not bowing to pressure.

He's clearly proven himself and he politely gave reasons for his turning down of the place
[video="youtube;jC_-r-J69qA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC_-r-J69qA[/video]
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
No one likes Cambridge anyway - it's a **** uni :yep:

:ninja:

:flute:

:kungfu: wash your mouth out with soap

PS how is the car factory ? :rofl:
Lol this is from 2011. Why mention the fact that he's black? Are you race baiting???
lol at 100% in sociology AS
Original post by the bear

:hand:
Reply 14
Original post by sunni money
lol at 100% in sociology AS

lol?:s-smilie:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
:hand:

[scroll]:auto:[/scroll]
Reply 16
Original post by Silver Arrow
Lol this is from 2011. Why mention the fact that he's black? Are you race baiting???

I'm aware it's not exactly current but it's still something? I mentioned he was black because I thought people would think about this issue more sociologically and also so people would be intrigued and click on the thread. really didn't mean to offend :frown:
[scroll]:auto:[/scroll]

Cannot rep :no:
Reply 18

Well you might not ever get rich, but baby let me tell you it's better than digging a ditch.

Working at the carwash yeah, carwash.
Original post by BBC Two
Well you might not ever get rich, but baby let me tell you it's better than digging a ditch.

Working at the carwash yeah, carwash.

:five:

those Hildabeests know how to make your bodywork gleam.

oh yeah.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending