The Student Room Group

The first self-made female millionaire and billionaire in the US were both black,why?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Daquan
I am talking about Sarah Breedlove and Oprah. The former was literally born into the first black generation of post-slavery America. They were not only black, but also female and born in extreme poverty. Add to that the fact that the number of white women in the US was also far higher. Boggles the mind , doesn't it?

Well, here’s an even better question - What about Madame C.J. Walker ?

If you don't know Madame C.J. Walker had become one of the very first African American millionaires, by way of tapping into a largely ignored market for black beauty products.

But that still proves nothing.

Because she had become a millionaire in 1911: a year in which around 70 black folks had been lynched in the USA (more than one a week), and at a time when racial oppression of blk people was the norm.

Also you forgetting that if you want to make as a black person in western countries generally speaking you have to make white people comfortable

So Oprah is OK, because although she occasionally tackles racism on her show, and certainly never tries to run from her heritage, she is careful about not seeming to overdo it
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by kamitersen
Stop avoiding his question. If you have no proof, then just admit it already. If you have, don't beat around the bush. We'd love to be enlightened.

Its not avoiding the question, its simply correcting a mistake to avoid any miscommunication.
Original post by Prince_Paul_246
Because we live in a global system of racism which is directed towards black people and that global system of racism, has created systems to halt, put roadblocks up for black people.

So that means if you are black, you start the race ten yards further back. Thus we have to work harder, in the main.

Now that is not right. But that is the system.

What global system? Can you name some systems which directly put roadblocks for black people?
Original post by xxAminah
That's deep, the same thing with brown muslims tbh

No it's not. Don't include other people in your bs victim complex just because they have the same color as you.
Actually those two females are white. We're all white..deep inside. Human beings & animals have the same color. It's definitely white.

1458410566013.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by wallah abdi
No it's not. Don't include other people in your bs victim complex just because they have the same color as you.

Oh shut up lmao, The truth hurts. Deal with it.
Original post by xxAminah
Oh shut up lmao, The truth hurts. Deal with it.

What truth? :lol: don't put the fact that you're incapable of a good job down to racism; you're just not good enough.
Again, can you prove this happens to all black women and not just you?

And in what ways have you worked much harder compared to your white counterparts?

ok, so baring in mind, the black race among others have almost always been inferior and oppressed, when have white people? now being black you will have to work harder because you are not treated the same, but being a woman on top of that is even harder because women have only started to have some sort of power and dominance in recent year. so therefore fitting in to both of those categories, yes you do in fact have to work a lot harder.
here are a few articles which show that we do have to work harder: :smile:
http://www.aauw.org/2015/07/21/black-women-pay-gap/
http://www.alternet.org/culture/10-often-painful-truths-about-being-black-america
http://www.latimes.com/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-being-black-is-exhausting-20151125-story.html
What truth? :lol: don't put the fact that you're incapable of a good job down to racism; you're just not good enough.

if anything she would be able to do a good job because she has a lot more determination and perseverance?
What global system? Can you name some systems which directly put roadblocks for black people?

Labour. Law. Entertainment. Education. Criminal Justice System. Penal System. Environment. Economic to name but a few systems. All these systems are used to practice racism.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/4/27/1380610/-Black-men-w-no-criminal-record-applying-for-jobs-treated-same-as-white-men-fresh-out-of-prison

- You just seem butthurt. It's obvious it's harder for a black man to get a job regardless the fact he has the same grades as the white man.

- Same with Muslims, If you have a muslim name you are less likely to get a job.

So shut up.
Original post by chitamara42
ok, so baring in mind, the black race among others have almost always been inferior

Oh, right. :rofl:

Why do you hate yourself this much?

@Feel Tha Bern
Oh, right. :rofl:

Why do you hate yourself this much?

@Feel Tha Bern

how?
Original post by chitamara42
how?

So you think black people are inferior, according to your own post?
Reply 34
Golden Gilded Cage
the simple ruling of this is that as a result of the hardship faced by their communities down to racism and within their own family lives it leads to there being need to not do the same thing so most rich kids become utter utter c***s or drug addicts (donald trump, paris hilton) whereas most people who have had the fight or die system forced upon them as a matter of circumstance such as i had and well now i have my own business and earn that much from it at the moment (i just bought my dad a '09 ford focus estate which i am giving him on father's day) but anyway back to the topic at hand my view is that you want a better life for the people you know and love so you push yourself for success and so on and so forth
Original post by Daquan
I am talking about Sarah Breedlove and Oprah. The former was literally born into the first black generation of post-slavery America. They were not only black, but also female and born in extreme poverty. Add to that the fact that the number of white women in the US was also far higher. Boggles the mind , doesn't it?

Don't you mean post-Jim Crow generation? I don't think Oprah was born around the 1860s!
Original post by Prince_Paul_246
Labour. Law. Entertainment. Education. Criminal Justice System. Penal System. Environment. Economic to name but a few systems. All these systems are used to practice racism.

racism but also accepted culture . america is a good example of this, where there are more millionaire black rappers than there are millionnaire black CEOs

and indeed more black gang members than college students

black people it seems face racist stereotypes from society as a whole but also seem to perpetuate many by their own volition
Original post by Reformed
racism but also accepted culture . america is a good example of this, where there are more millionaire black rappers than there are millionnaire black CEOs

and indeed more black gang members than college students

black people it seems face racist stereotypes from society as a whole but also seem to perpetuate many by their own volition

What's wrong with being a rapper?

It's a perfectly legitimate career choice.
Reply 39
Good for them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending