The Student Room Group

Anxiety medication???

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by bullettheory
There are definitely side effects to their use and I think generally people do underestimate them. I think my point is less they have side effects and more that they are not a sustainable solution for anxiety (except specific types)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've been taking them for many years and I'm fine. Of course, some people will get side effects, I agree, but people who attribute every single issue to benzos are just unreasonable. What's the right solution then, in your opinion? Therapy?
Original post by Ciel.
I've been taking them for many years and I'm fine. Of course, some people will get side effects, I agree, but people who attribute every single issue to benzos are just unreasonable. What's the right solution then, in your opinion? Therapy?

Yeah, people can definitely take them for years no problem, it depends on the use. I've used benzos on and off for around 5 years for a variety of issues and I've never come across any major issues, even after being on clonazepam 4 times a day for a sustained period of time.

Personally, my opinion is that for anxiety disorders, the best option is therapy, and for some, maybe an anti depressant on top. I've seen people who get prescribed benzos or just anti depressants but never get therapy and they find it very hard to improve in the long term, we can't take benzos forever. From what I've gathered both from my own experiences with mental health professionals and my professional experience and education, most psychiatrists will be very wary of prescribing benzos long term to someone with an anxiety disorder.

They do use benzos more frequently in other illnesses, but there is even some research in using other meds to replace benzos and they have the same kind of effects, for example, a low dose of quetiapine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest