The Student Room Group

I've messed up BIG time....

ok so i work for Boots and the other day i did something really stupid - i used a customers advantage card that had been left behind for my own purchase- in effect its 'theft' and 'fraud'. Ok I know it was bad of me and extremeley stupid but im really not a dishonest person...it was sort of an 'impulsive-im not really thinking-oppurtunistic-daft-it doesnt really matter-kind-of-thing....anyway i got suspended after which i handed in my notice, they got the police involved too i think im gonna get a caution....the thing is how does this affect my pharmacy career?

- i know, i know ill never be able to work for Boots again (Im really sad about this...no really...i am) il probably wont be able to work anywhere if i have a caution from the police cause it gives you a record which stays for 5 years (this needs to be declared on job applications) But im not bothered about that for now...what i am concerned about is university, when you apply do they ask you if you have a criminal record? I cant remember, I suppose even if they do i didnt lie cos i didnt have a record then (- i do now :redface: )....

BUT even if a student has a criminal record does it make any diffrence?

And in my case will it make any diffrence to me now if the uni (in particular man uni) were to find out...can they take back thier offer? I think my biggest problem is that my manager at work (also a pharmacist) actually wrote my reference for me (and she knows my whole story about which uni im applying to, which is my firm/conditional etc.) Im so worried now she will phone the uni up and tell them whats happened or she'll simply withdraw her reference - im so worried can they take back thier offer or will they give me a chance to explain?....Similarly is there any specific condition concerning Pharmacy cos in the future it will be difficult for me to be trusted by a company and therefore the uni might feel like they dont want to teach me in the first place...please help me iv done something really stupid (dnt judge me i already feel pretty low) and now im sooo confused.... :frown:
Ok well I hope you've learnt your lesson from that.

I'm not sure what could happen but i think i remember when working for Alliance that my pharmacist said that you can't be a pharmacist and have a criminal record. I thought that was far too extreme and he was about 64 so i wouldn't take everything he says to be true

Don't worry about it IMO
Reply 2
Troll?
Reply 3
When I got a letter/offer from Nottingham they mentioned something about some test thing. It says -

'Prior to registering as a pharmacist you will need to provide a statement for the RPSGB. The following websites may provide further help and advice-

http://www.nhsemployers.org/practicn.e/practice-205.cfm
http://www.dh.gov.uk/PolicyAndGuidance/HumanResourcesAndTraining/ModernisingProfessionalRegulation/PrePostEmploymentChecks/fs/en '

The first one is Criminal Records Bureau check thing so uh, yea. The second link doesn't work (and I checked the spellings etc) :/ I guess it depends how much trouble you're in and what you did doesn't seem that bad. Personally, I don't think you should worry about it but maybe you should ask your manager just to be sure?
Reply 4
does your record get wipped after so many years for these little things you may get done for?
Reply 5
Yes Yes I've learnt my lesson... I've will NEVER EVER so much as take a nampkin from a take away without asking for permission first ...seriously im gonna, it will be embarassing (are these napkins really free? are you sure?) but it will be my punishment and i deserve it....as for the criminal records thing I actually think its true, you obviously need to be a trustworthy person because your given a lot of authority/responsibilty... not a thief :redface: but the police havent turned up yet (they said they were gonna come today and they havent...fingers crossed) and im just praying that they wont take it any further...as for my mananger phoning up the uni's or withdrawing her reference ...well depends how pissed she is at me- I havent actually seen since, she'll probably be really disappointed but I hope she doesnt take that far...'
Reply 6
lil'p
does your record get wipped after so many years for these little things you may get done for?

well im no expert -this is the first time iv ever done anything like this honestly ...but yeah I looked it up if your arrested (which apparently i was :s-smilie: ) then you recieve a caution or your charged (and go to court/are punished, etc) but you get a record either way, if your charged/punished it gets wiped after 10 years and 5 years for a caution...phew!!
Reply 7
naheeda
ok so i work for Boots and the other day i did something really stupid - i used a customers advantage card that had been left behind for my own purchase- in effect its 'theft' and 'fraud'. Ok I know it was bad of me and extremeley stupid but im really not a dishonest person...it was sort of an 'impulsive-im not really thinking-oppurtunistic-daft-it doesnt really matter-kind-of-thing....anyway i got suspended after which i handed in my notice, they got the police involved too i think im gonna get a caution....the thing is how does this affect my pharmacy career?

- i know, i know ill never be able to work for Boots again (Im really sad about this...no really...i am) il probably wont be able to work anywhere if i have a caution from the police cause it gives you a record which stays for 5 years (this needs to be declared on job applications) But im not bothered about that for now...what i am concerned about is university, when you apply do they ask you if you have a criminal record? I cant remember, I suppose even if they do i didnt lie cos i didnt have a record then (- i do now :redface: )....

BUT even if a student has a criminal record does it make any diffrence?

And in my case will it make any diffrence to me now if the uni (in particular man uni) were to find out...can they take back thier offer? I think my biggest problem is that my manager at work (also a pharmacist) actually wrote my reference for me (and she knows my whole story about which uni im applying to, which is my firm/conditional etc.) Im so worried now she will phone the uni up and tell them whats happened or she'll simply withdraw her reference - im so worried can they take back thier offer or will they give me a chance to explain?....Similarly is there any specific condition concerning Pharmacy cos in the future it will be difficult for me to be trusted by a company and therefore the uni might feel like they dont want to teach me in the first place...please help me iv done something really stupid (dnt judge me i already feel pretty low) and now im sooo confused.... :frown:

Why the hell would they arrest you for that?There is a box on your ucas form for your criminal record,don't know if they actually check up on it so you could always lie?
Nah don't lie, lies always have a way of coming out in the end!! And being dishonest and a pharmacist don't go well together!!

Umm I'm not sure really, I might have just made this up, but I think maybe pharmacy is a career where your criminal records stays with you forever ... although this may be different for you because you haven't actually started to study yet. Have a look around on the RSPGB site and see if it says anything or try emailing them/phoning them to see.
Reply 9
Ok Naheeda, If you are being honest about never doing it again, and I mean totally honest, not so much as a taking a £1 tub of multivitamins then I think you've learned your lesson and should get empolyed. Pharmacy is such a diverse career and there's loads more opportunities for you other than Boots. You might even be a better person because of it.

Don't worry about the police, it's probably your first ever runnings in with them and they have a nasty habit of trying to intimidate and make it out like your going to jail or something. Probably get a caution at the worst.

If your are positively sorry for your actions, I wish you luck in finding a new job.
Reply 10
Hey

Thanks, I do think the PO-LICE (im such a gansta :rolleyes: ) were trying to scare me now because its been two days and no word - I dont want to jinx or anything but im hoping i can draw a line under it now. That means I dont need to worry about the criminal record thing (hopefully)

But obviously I'll never be able to work for Boots again (fine by me, it really is a **** company to work for and im not just saying that, its all too commercial, too much about the MONEY for my liking and it gets depressing after a while. )

I understand theres more to pharmacy than Boots and im more interested in hospital pharmacy anyway, if i was ever going to work in community it would a little independent pharmacy methinks.
Reply 11
naheeda
But obviously I'll never be able to work for Boots again (fine by me, it really is a **** company to work for and im not just saying that, its all too commercial, too much about the MONEY for my liking and it gets depressing after a while. )

I'll agree with you on that one naheeda, I used to work fot Boots as well, it was an awful compnay to work for and I'd never work there again!!
-Emmz-
Nah don't lie, lies always have a way of coming out in the end!! And being dishonest and a pharmacist don't go well together!!

Umm I'm not sure really, I might have just made this up, but I think maybe pharmacy is a career where your criminal records stays with you forever ... although this may be different for you because you haven't actually started to study yet. Have a look around on the RSPGB site and see if it says anything or try emailing them/phoning them to see.

You are right Emmz. If I were the OP, I'd try and get some professional advice - even try and contact the uni and chat to them about it, because TBH it's not worth the expense of studying for 4 years and then finding out the RPSGB will not register you as a pharmacist because you were caught 'stealing' from your employer.

And it's not going to look good either on application forms (most of the ones I've been filling in at the moment ask for details of all convictions as pharmacist's convictions are never considered 'spent' under the rehabilitation of offenders act).
Ah good so I did remember right about any convictions always being with you ... at least I've learnt something in the last four years :wink:. Hows your pre-reg going? You're almost a pharmacist now!
Reply 14
Hey, why dont you guys catch up and have a rendezvous on my misery thread ...hehe only joking, if you guys are interested the cops never showed up so, no arrest-no criminal charge, nobody needs to know....But they could still show up so I'm not gonna get too happy...I have another problem now though.... I think I might not reach my conditional offer for man uni :frown:
Reply 15
Right was Manchester your firm ? you might still get accepted with BBB if it's your firm and is not the firm choice with others (which i strongly doubt but you never know) As you will know different uni's have different requirements, generally speaking Manchester, Bath and Nottingham are commonly regarded as the best for pharmacy but I'm sure it will vary year to year, LSOP, Liverpool John Moores and Aston seem to be ok to, and theres even bradford which is supposedly half decent as well. Have a bit of confidence in yourself and you don't for some need to have A's in Chemistry or Biology, just strive to get ABB at A2. Good luck in your exams
I can't believe you mentioned LJM and didn't mention Cardiff and Kings! :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending