The Student Room Group

British Asians, honestly do you feel more British or Asian?

Poll

Do you feel more British or Asian?

For me I feel more 'British' then I do Asian, but then again I feel like I'm neither and just myself sometimes. I only follow Asian culture sometimes cause I was born in an Asian area and was raised around Asian culture but other then that I couldn't really care too much about it, I do enjoy living in Britain though, not trying to be a coconut or what not but honestly this is my home now I guess.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

This will be an interesting poll to watch!
I can relate to this, Idk I don't find myself calling Asia home or calling Britain home (even though I've lived here for 18 years) I follow Asian culture again because of how I was raised etc. But when I'm older I don't know if I can continue to follow it...it's a bit of an inbetween for me

Posted from TSR Mobile
I must admit, I quite like Britain and the range of diversity here, you can live next to a person from Kenya for example, an opportunity I'd never get if I was living in Pakistan for example, so I'm happy being British, but also I have Asian roots, my ancestors forever have been Asian (I think lol plus religion is also a part of me, so I'm undecided!
Reply 4
i agree, i carry some biritish culture and some asian culture, i cant speak punjabi to save my life as my parents were born here too
Too brown for white
Too white for brown

Is honestly how I feel
Reply 6
I agree with you about the UK being our home now but I do enjoy visiting Pakistan and I wish I could go more often.
When you visit your home country as a child, you're not really aware of much and probably don't enjoy it. But when you get older and start visiting, you realise how interesting it is and how much there is to do. As for the culture, I guess you're just so used to things like Asian cuisine and clothes etc that you don't appreciate it enough.
I can appreciate some aspects of Asian culture but these are all from afar, haven't even been to India for about 20 years or something now.

Can't speak much Punjabi, absolutely despise anything Bollywood related. Not really religious either.

I'd say I'm definitely more British than Asian. My lifestyle is basically western in all regards. Guess it makes sense given both parents and I were all born here.
(edited 8 years ago)
A balance of both.

Original post by Serine Soul
Too brown for white
Too white for brown

Is honestly how I feel

Basically the above.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Lol at this thread. I think this should answer all questions. :wink:

[video="youtube;YUH9jD__qHY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUH9jD__qHY[/video]

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
i feel both man. love pakistani food but enjoy british tolerance (which doesnt exist in pakistan..cough cough)
Reply 11
British
No one who was born and lives in britian should feel differently
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by sdotd
British

No one who was born and lives in britian should feel differently

:eyeball::eyeball::eyeball::eyeball::eyeball::eyeball::eyeball::eyeball::eyeball:
Asian
I feel too british in a sense.

I can speak my mother tongue fluently but I have never been to Srilanka. Wish I could but now I feel it is going to be too difficult for me to relate. I would feel like a tourist in a country that should be like a home.
Reply 15
Grateful for all the opportunities britain has given me e.g education, jobs but proud of my asian roots also.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by I am Halal
:eyeball::eyeball::eyeball::eyeball::eyeball::eyeball::eyeball::eyeball::eyeball:

Typo my bad
Anyone*
honestly I don't feel like I'm Asian enough or British enough....just in the middle.

Posted from TSR Mobile
British I suppose, I'm more in tune with western culture & not religious or anything. It just suits me much better.
English I am a conservative patriot I love this country I have a England flag outside my window during England games which will remain during the euros and i genuinely think many brown Asians especially Sikhs have an affinity towards England more so than India as many Sikhs feel alienated from India and the whole Hindu Muslim bedrock culture

Quick Reply

Latest