The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Fee Status

Hi everyone,

I'm about to apply for an MSc at UCL, however I'm not sure what to put as my country of ordinary residence. After my many hours of research I am still not sure, as the term seems very subjective. From reading the below, what would the Fees Office consider my country of ordinary residence to be?

I was born in the UK and lived there all my life (parents, grandparents etc all British too). However, after graduating from my undergraduate degree in 2013, I accepted a job in Zambia on a fly-in-fly-out basis. That means that I work a roster of 10 weeks on, 3 weeks off. In my 3 weeks off I am flown back to the UK by my company as that is where my home is (or sometimes I go on holiday elsewhere). I do not own accommodation in Zambia, I live in company accommodation on site and so do not have a Zambian residential address. I have no family in Zambia either.

I am not a resident for tax purposes, however I would consider myself ordinarily resident in the UK as I do not have any ties to Zambia except my job. I consider the UK to be my home, as does my company. When I left the UK, I had no intention of working in Zambia for more than a few years, it was purely to gain experience and then return to the UK.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply 1
You should get Local Fee status. It's to do with your domicile - permanent place of residence. You're in Zambia temporarily so I'd be very surprised if they gave you anything other than Local fees...

Good luck!
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Quick Reply