The Student Room Group

wjec english language!!!

whats coming up? is there a specification link, please? :confused: .
Reply 1
Well here's the specification, but it's mostly blurb :P

Overall I think coursework's 20%, speaking+listening's 20% and the exam's 60%.
Exam = 2 papers, 1 fiction and 1 non fiction - 2 hours each. On each paper there's four 10 mark comprehension questions plus two 20 mark writing tasks.

It should all be on the link above :smile:
Reply 2
that spec is just confusing! so whats coming up on the language exam--i have done literature. what page is it on/ just explain to me plz.
Reply 3
It's on page 9 :smile:

Paper 1 = Fiction, 2 hours. Section A: You get an extract / short story and then have to answer four 10 mark questions on it (like 'what impressions do you get of this character?'). Section B: two 20 mark questions (eg. write a short story/a description)

Paper 2 = Non Fiction, 2 hours. Section A: You get 2 extracts(like from a leaflet or an article) and have to answer four 10 mark questions, usually comparing them etc. Section B: two 20 mark questions (eg. a persuasive letter/review).

(BTW You probably won't have studied any of the texts before.)
Reply 4
there are two papers for language????
Reply 5
Zhara
there are two papers for language????

Did you teacher not tell you anything about the exam(s)??
Reply 6
our teacher left...just when we needed her most. then we supply (rolleyes).

therefore i'd really appreciate the info.
Reply 7
Paper 1 = Fiction, 2 hours. Section A: You get an extract / short story and then have to answer four 10 mark questions on it (like 'what impressions do you get of this character?'). Section B: two 20 mark questions (eg. write a short story/a description)

Paper 2 = Non Fiction, 2 hours. Section A: You get 2 extracts(like from a leaflet or an article) and have to answer four 10 mark questions, usually comparing them etc. Section B: two 20 mark questions (eg. a persuasive letter/review).

Well basically the structure of the exam is as I said there, but if you have any questions I'll try + answer them :smile:
Reply 8
oh, i understand now...just looked at my timetable and realised that it says paper 1 and 2 quite clearly! so how r u revising for this.

lang and lit= 2 gcse's yes?
Reply 9
Lit/Lang = 2 seperate GCSEs... so luckily one's already outta the way =]

The only way I've found I can revise is to read over notes I've made on writing techniques etc, + perhaps doing a few practice questions.

If you're unfamiliar with the questions, for fiction you could try spending 20mins describing a scene such as a supermarket/hospital/playground, focusing in on minute details and making sure it doesn't turn into a narrative.
Spend around 40mins on a short story. One tip a teacher gave me for the short story is to first think of a simple event (eg a train crash) then just track the character's thoughts + actions, and possibly create a back story for them. Don't overcomplicate!! Make a 7-point plan with each point a simple development in the action; this means you'll have a clear idea of what each paragraph's about instead of rambling!

For non-fiction, perhaps try writing a persuasive letter about an issue you feel strongly about (eg smoking, fox hunting etc.) and include persuasive devices eg. rhetoric questions/emotive language. Always try + think of an individual viewpint/direction to come from, it'll make you're piece stand out from the rest. Also, incase they ask you for a review, make sure you know a book/film/cd well so you're ready to comment on its pros+cons. There's nothing worse than them asking you to write a review then you not having a clue what to write about!!

A few pointers :smile:
Reply 10
thanks so much! well..hope it goes well 4 u.
And you too :smile: Happy revising!
hey there. i did wjec english last year. Language was easy...i thought i did really bad and still came out with an A! i didn't even finsih one of the questions for the non fiction bit and my descriptive was pants. its the literature that i was gutted about...was predicted an A but got a B. they sent it off for remarking but was still a B! oh well life goes on.....lol
Reply 13
Original post by MathematicalMind
hey there. i did wjec english last year. Language was easy...i thought i did really bad and still came out with an A! i didn't even finsih one of the questions for the non fiction bit and my descriptive was pants. its the literature that i was gutted about...was predicted an A but got a B. they sent it off for remarking but was still a B! oh well life goes on.....lol

Long time I know, but how did you do in English language coursework?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending