The Student Room Group

Leaving or staying at university?

Hi. I'm in my first year studying German at university. So far I have done fairly well on assessments but I feel like my language hasn't really improved since starting. Although I have made some friends, I don't feel completely involved and the uni hasn't really lived up to my expectations.

I currently live with a family member but things aren't really working out and going back to live with parents is kind of a last resort. Added to this is the issue of my closest friend living in Germany and not being able to see her often.

Together with disappointment with my university teaching, friendship groups, my living situation and the possibility of my friend in Germany's year abroad overlapping with mine, meaning I would be in Germany while she was here, is making me consider taking a year out of university to sort myself out.

I'm just worried about the implications of this in terms of student finance. At the moment I receive a full loan and grant along with funding from my university. I also don't know what I would do in my year off, how I would fund it, and even if my university would allow it.

Also, is it possible to take a year out before year abroad?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by El1710
Hi. I'm in my first year studying German at university. So far I have done fairly well on assessments but I feel like my language hasn't really improved since starting. Although I have made some friends, I don't feel completely involved and the uni hasn't really lived up to my expectations.

I currently live with a family member but things aren't really working out and going back to live with parents is kind of a last resort. Added to this is the issue of my closest friend living in Germany and not being able to see her often.

Together with disappointment with my university teaching, friendship groups, my living situation and the possibility of my friend in Germany's year abroad overlapping with mine, meaning I would be in Germany while she was here, is making me consider taking a year out of university to sort myself out.

I'm just worried about the implications of this in terms of student finance. At the moment I receive a full loan and grant along with funding from my university. I also don't know what I would do in my year off, how I would fund it, and even if my university would allow it.

Also, is it possible to take a year out before year abroad?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You wont recieve any student finance funding if you took a year out, it would be up to your university if they allow you to intercalate before a year abroad.
Hi, I actually just replied to your other recent thread. :smile: Improving your German is totally manageable as long as you are using the right strategies - I sent you a link to a good book!

Clearly, you have some other problems that require resolution. If you address them separately I'm sure you will reach solutions. It sounds like you may need to change your living situation. I think that the problem is that it's quite a lot to deal with at once and therefore you're no longer enjoying your degree! If you tell yourself that you will enjoy it again and fix things to look forward too (the long holidays, your year abroad!) then perhaps it will help you to hang on in there with your degree!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending