The Student Room Group

I want to study architecture.

I studied architecture for two years then dropped out because the course director said I shouldn't be an architect and lecturers kept on rejecting my designs (they were historical they wanted contemporary). I'm now doing art history which is going ok. I really regret not doing architecture and would love to take it up again.
What should I do? a) keep going at art history. b) resit a level maths and physics or c) disappear into a hole and hide?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Reply 1
If you are sure you want to be an architect, go for it! Your course director should not put you down like that if you were trying your best. I advise you talk to him and explain your situation to him/her.

Art history is not too bad, you say? Do you enjoy it? Will it help you at all in the job you want? As to option b, resit if you feel confident because what if you get a worse grade? And DO NOT hide in a hole unless that hole is a beautiful palace you designed after your education. YOU GOT THIS :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by iimikaii
If you are sure you want to be an architect, go for it! Your course director should not put you down like that if you were trying your best. I advise you talk to him and explain your situation to him/her.

Art history is not too bad, you say? Do you enjoy it? Will it help you at all in the job you want? As to option b, resit if you feel confident because what if you get a worse grade? And DO NOT hide in a hole unless that hole is a beautiful palace you designed after your education. YOU GOT THIS :smile:

Thanks for the advice I cant talk to the university director he's at a different university. I can't possibly get a worse grade in maths or physics I dropped them when I got an unconditional for a foundation course: architecture. I enjoy art history I'm not bad at essays but I love architecture.
Reply 3
Original post by Thomb
Thanks for the advice I can't talk to the university director he's at a different university. I can't possibly get a worse grade in maths or physics I dropped them when I got an unconditional for a foundation course: architecture. I enjoy art history I'm not bad at essays but I love architecture.

Try to resit if possible but do not stress too much. Any teachers you can talk to about architecture or email your director?
Reply 4
Original post by iimikaii
Try to resit if possible but do not stress too much. Any teachers you can talk to about architecture or email your director?

The university I'm doing art history at doesn't do architecture. I need to get started on maths and physics asap really.
Reply 5
Original post by Thomb
The university I'm doing art history at doesn't do architecture. I need to get started on maths and physics asap really.

Go for it. That is the only option really. Best luck! :redface:
Original post by Thomb

Why? You don't need maths or physics for architecture, I wouldn't waste time on that.
Reply 7
Original post by Farchitect
Why? You don't need maths or physics for architecture, I wouldn't waste time on that.

I thought you did.
Original post by Thomb
I thought you did.

Nope. You need to be more clear about what you current qualifications are at the moment, and what you are doing now etc.
Reply 9
Nope. You need to be more clear about what you current qualifications are at the moment, and what you are doing now etc.

I have gcse's all C and B grades i.e. not brilliant I've done a foundation year in architecture two years at uni studying architecture now I'm studying Art History part time and I'd like to start again at architecture.
Original post by Thomb
I have gcse's all C and B grades i.e. not brilliant I've done a foundation year in architecture two years at uni studying architecture now I'm studying Art History part time and I'd like to start again at architecture.

So how did you get into the foundation in architecture? You must have A-Levels or a B tech or something? Either way, if you were previously admitted to an architecture program, you should be capable of getting on another one without doing additional A-Levels?
Reply 11
So how did you get into the foundation in architecture? You must have A-Levels or a B tech or something? Either way, if you were previously admitted to an architecture program, you should be capable of getting on another one without doing additional A-Levels?

I didn't have a levels I started them but got into a foundation year with no conditions in my first year of a level so just dropped them ands did architecture.
Original post by Thomb
I didn't have a levels I started them but got into a foundation year with no conditions in my first year of a level so just dropped them ands did architecture.

Sounds like you need to stop giving up on things and stick to finishing things. So you started A-Levels and didn't finish them, then started Architecture and didn't finish it, now you've started Art History and considering not finishing it? If you enjoy Art History just pursue that, Architecture is a pretty stressful and largely unrewarding profession, so you won't be missing out.
Reply 13
Sounds like you need to stop giving up on things and stick to finishing things. So you started A-Levels and didn't finish them, then started Architecture and didn't finish it, now you've started Art History and considering not finishing it? If you enjoy Art History just pursue that, Architecture is a pretty stressful and largely unrewarding profession, so you won't be missing out.

k:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending