The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
PHY5 January 2005 is attached. PHY5 January 2006 I have as a zip but it's too big to attach.
Reply 21
Could you explain Q4a and 4bii) to me, i know the answers but not why....
Reply 22
F=BIL
for F(z) = B(y)*I(z)*L
for F(y) = B(z)*I(y)*L
Since the force acting on each wire, is caused by the magnetic flux density of the other wire.
This is where I think you went wrong.

B=uI/2pi*r which could be rewritten to kI for simplicity, since u/2pi*r is a constant for both.

This gives F(z) = kI*2I*L
and F(y) = 2kI*I*L

Therefore F(z) : F(y) = 1 : 1
Reply 23
A quick question, "Explain why a very small test charge must be used when measuring electric field strength" any ideas? I'm sure the answer is so simple but i just cant see it lol
Reply 24
I think its something to do with, it doesn't produce a large field on its own which may affect the electrical field. :s-smilie:
Reply 25
aelred89
A quick question, "Explain why a very small test charge must be used when measuring electric field strength" any ideas? I'm sure the answer is so simple but i just cant see it lol

I don't see why you have to use a test charge at all... you could use V/d for uniform electric field strength for electrical plates or kQ/r^2 for point charge.

I guess it's used to determine the direction of the field strength?
Reply 26
aelred89

So it has no effect on the field.
Reply 27
-hybrid-
So it has no effect on the field.

You're right. :redface:
Reply 28
tziek
I think its something to do with, it doesn't produce a large field on its own which may affect the electrical field. :s-smilie:

Sorry didnt see someone already replied.
Reply 29

I just hope exam questions will be that easy, havent revised much and I need an A.
Reply 30
-hybrid-
I just hope exam questions will be that easy, havent revised much and I need an A.

Who doesn't? :wink:
Reply 31
I did a paper earlier and I found it so hard, some of the questions were really confusing. One question was about a drop of oil between to parallel plates connected to a power supply, eventually it asked about the voltage required for the drop to be stationary between the plates, checked the mark scheme and the answer involved using Vq/d=mg. My brain just froze.
Reply 32
Now thinking about it, are you suppose to equate the two as at this moment the forces on the drop are balanced?
Reply 33
-hybrid-
Now thinking about it, are you suppose to equate the two as at this moment the forces on the drop are balanced?

Yes.
Reply 34
Oh god my brain is going to explode :frown:
Reply 35
Hi, another explainy question lol I know whats happening i just can't get it onto the paper,

"A capacitor is connected in series with a battery, a resistor and a micro-ammeter. Explain why a current flows initially in the rest of the circuit despite the fact that no charge is able to pass directly between the capacitor's plates."

I've got the ball resevoir analagy in my head so i understand that battery draws the charge from plate and transfers an equal charge to the other plate but where would i go from there?
Reply 36
Well I would think that as it draws charge from one plate and transfers it equally to the other plate via the rest of the circuit, there already is a current as current is equal to the rate of flow of charge. The charge can't go directly pass the plates as there is an insulating material (a dielectric I think).
Reply 37
aelred89
Hi, another explainy question lol I know whats happening i just can't get it onto the paper,

"A capacitor is connected in series with a battery, a resistor and a micro-ammeter. Explain why a current flows initially in the rest of the circuit despite the fact that no charge is able to pass directly between the capacitor's plates."

I've got the ball resevoir analagy in my head so i understand that battery draws the charge from plate and transfers an equal charge to the other plate but where would i go from there?

Electrons build up on one of the plates, making it negative. This negative charge on the plate repels the electrons on the other plate, hence allowing current flow in the circuit.
Going back to the question on the previous page, why would electrons at different speeds be deflected different amounts in an electric field? Surely the force on a charged particle does not depend on its velocity:

F = Vq/d
^there's no velocity in the above equation :s-smilie:
Reply 39
icecreamman
Going back to the question on the previous page, why would electrons at different speeds be deflected different amounts in an electric field? Surely the force on a charged particle does not depend on its velocity:

F = Vq/d
^there's no velocity in the above equation :s-smilie:

Interesting question. This is my thought on it, let someone confirm on this. The electrons first of all have a range of different velocities in an electron gun as when they're released from the filament, they have a range of different kinetic energies. Therefore when they reach two parallel plates, the electrons experience a force, however this only affects the vertical component; the horizontal velocity is unaffected (as the force is perpendicular to it, no work is done on it). Now if you compare an electron which is travelling at a slower speed and one which is travelling faster, the resultant velocity of the slower one is deviated more because the horizontal component is smaller than the horizontal component of a faster one.
Therefore as the faster moving electron has a larger horizontal component than the slower one, its resultant velocity is less affected, hence it deviates less. I could probably try and explain this in mathematical terms.

Latest