The Student Room Group

STEP Tricks and Hacks Thread

One recurring theme is to exploit the symmetry of trigonometric functions during integrating. Using this in conjunction with:

Unparseable latex formula:

\displaystyle[br]\begin{equation*}\int_a^b f(x) \, \mathrm{d}x = \int_a^b f(a+b-x) \, \mathrm{d}x\end{equation*}

is particularly useful.

Here's an example: 0π/4log(1+tanθ)dθ\int_0^{\pi/4} \log (1 + \tan \theta) \, \mathrm{d}\theta. How is this relevant here? Call our integral II, then using the substitution θπ4θ\theta \mapsto \frac{\pi}{4} - \theta we have:

\displaystyle [br]\begin{equation*} I = \int_0^{\pi/4} \log \frac{2}{1 + \tan \theta} \, \mathrm{d}\theta = \frac{\pi}{4}\ln 2 - I \iff I = \frac{\pi}{8}\ln 2\end{equation*}

Extension to this, using the same idea, roughly - attempt 0π/2logsinθdθ\displaystyle \int_0^{\pi/2} \log \sin \theta \, \mathrm{d}\theta

Scroll to see replies

1. Adding zero creatively (i) (Zacken)
2. Trigonometrical symmetry and substitutions for integration (Zacken)
3. Trigonometrical functions as shifts of others (Zacken)
4. Implicit differentiation and logarithmic differentiation (Zacken)
5. Adding zero creatively (ii) (Zacken)
6. Algebra shenanigans with 'it suffices' (IrrationalRoot)
7. Discriminants as a useful tool for inequalities and in mechanics (Duke Glacia)
8. Weierstrass subs (Shamika)
9. Inequalities and injectivity (Zacken)
10. Summing arc-tangents (16Characters...)
11. L'Hopitals rule for limits (Joostan)
12. Factorising special polynomials and techniques to do so (Aymanzayenmannan)
13. Strong induction (Zacken)

Hopefully we can grow this into a useful and extensive collection of tricks and techniques - feel free to share your own!

So to start with Zacken posted a amazing techniques which could have saved me a lot of time and effort.

Original post by Zacken
For one, do you know about the "adding zero creatively trick"? It works wonders.

Here's an example of it:x1+xdx\displaystyle \int \frac{x}{1+x} \, \mathrm{d}x, now you could do long division and what not or use a substitution but it's quite elegant to do just:

\displaystyle [br]\begin{equation*} \int \frac{x + 1 - 1}{1+x} \, \mathrm{d}x = \int 1 - \frac{1}{x+1} \, \mathrm{d}x = x - \ln |x+1| + \mathcal{C}\end{equation*}

If you want, you can try it with this gem: x41+x2dx\displaystyle \int \frac{x^4}{1+x^2} \, \mathrm{d}x which was on a previous STEP II question.

It's very elegant to do this if you notice that x4x4+x2x2x^4 \equiv x^4 + x^2 - x^2 so that you can simplify your integrand. :-)

OP written by Zacken
(edited 8 years ago)
Bump. Not sitting STEP but I'll do some papers this summer for kicks
Reply 3
Use the fact that some trigonometric functions are shifts of another, common examples include sinθ=cos(π/2θ)\sin \theta = \cos (\pi/2 - \theta), cotθ=tan(π/2θ)\cot \theta = \tan (\pi/2 - \theta) and the likes. This comes in useful and saves a lot of time.

Say you were given csc(θ+π3)=sec(θπ6)\csc \left(\theta + \frac{\pi}{3}\right) = \sec \left(\theta - \frac{\pi}{6}\right) - this could be an 8/9/10mark A-Level question easily; want a three liner way of doing it?

The equation is equivalent to sin(θ+π3)=sin(π2θ+π6)=sin(2π3θ)\displaystyle \sin \left(\theta + \frac{\pi}{3}\right) = \sin\left(\frac{\pi}{2} - \theta + \frac{\pi}{6}\right) = \sin \left(\frac{2\pi}{3} - \theta\right)

which now becomes elementary to solve.

Extension to this, using a STEP question, show that sinA=cosB    A=(4n+1)π2±B\sin A = \cos B \iff A = (4n+1)\frac{\pi}{2} \pm B - should be a two or three liner using this method.

This trick has rendered one or two STEP I questions completely inane, especially the cotθ=tan(π/2θ)\cot \theta = \tan (\pi/2 - \theta) that's let me do a STEP I question in 4 minutes.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Using implicit differentiation can make life easier.

Say you wanted to differentiate a nasty function that might require multiple uses of the product rule or such, take logs!

Let's say you have f(x)=xp(x+1)q(x+2)rf(x) = x^p(x+1)^q(x+2)^r, do you really want to differentiate this normally? I'd hope you said no. What you'd want to do is:

\displaystyle [br]\begin{equation*}\log f(x) = p \log x + q \log (x+1) + r \log (x+2) \Rightarrow f'(x) = f(x)\left(\frac{p}{x} + \frac{q}{x+1} + \frac{r}{x+2}\right)\end{equation*}

and leaving your answer in this form, i.e: as f(x)()f(x)(\cdots) is quite useful in many a STEP I question that I've come across.

As an aside, here's another place where it's useful: ddxf(x)\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}x} |f(x)|, now the standard thing to do would be to consider intervals of xx that makes ff positive or negative and differentiate piecewise.

What'd I'd do is y=f(x)y2=f(x)22yy=2f(x)f(x)y=f(x)f(x)f(x)y = |f(x)| \Rightarrow y^2 = f(x)^2 \Rightarrow 2yy' = 2f'(x)f(x) \Rightarrow y' = \frac{f'(x)f(x)}{|f(x)|} - this also lets you know where the function is not differentiable.

I'll edit it a nice problem for you lot to try in a bit:

Define f(x)=xm(x1)nf(x) = x^m(x-1)^n with both m,nm, n being positive integers greater than 11. Show that the stationary point of this function in the interval (0,1)(0,1) is a maximum if nn is even and a minimum when nn is odd.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Zacken

\displaystyle[br]\begin{equation*}\int_a^b f(x) \, \mathrm{d}x = \int_a^b f(a+b-x) \, \mathrm{d}x\end{equation*}

Is this something we're supposed to know? I've never seen this before.
Reply 6
Original post by TLDM
Is this something we're supposed to know? I've never seen this before.

Nothing I've posted is something you should know, but instead it's something that once pointed out is apparent.

In the case you've pointed out, that equality comes right away from using the substitution xa+bxx \mapsto a+b-x. It's quite literally a one-liner.
Reply 7
I'd just like to showcase an astounding example of the adding zero creatively trick (even if it's been quoted already by Duke in the OP), it featured heavily in STEP II, 2005, Q8 for example and the examiners report and official solutions didn't even mention it, they decided to mention ridiculous things like hyperbolic trigonometrical substitutions instead of a simple trick.

So what we have is:

\displaystyle[br]\begin{equation*} \frac{\mathrm{d}y}{\mathrm{d}x} = \frac{x^3y^2}{(1+x^2)^{5/2}}\end{equation*}

The seperable stuff is easy and you all know how to integrate y2y^{-2}, but the RHS is slightly more tricky, how would you integrate x3/(1+x2)5/2x^3/(1+x^2)^{5/2} - what I'd do:

\displaystyle [br]\begin{equation*} \frac{x^3 +x - x}{(1+x^2)^{5/2}} = \frac{x(1+x^2) - x}{(1+x^2)^{5/2}} = \frac{x}{(1+x^2)^{3/2}} - \frac{x}{(1+x^2)^{5/2}} \end{equation*}

Whereby integrating is very standard now, since (1+x2)=2x(1+x^2)' = 2x. Oh, and somebody remind me to do a post about multiplying by one creatively.
Using 'it suffices' a lot is very useful for proving certain algebraic results (whittling down what is required to be proven).

Taking the last part STEP III 2009 Q1 as an example, I got expressions for st/uv and (s+t)/(u+v) in terms of m and n and needed to prove that p+q (each expressed as somewhat ugly expressions involving m,n,s,t,u,v) is equal to 0.

A very easy way of doing this is to start is to:
Start with the result.
Factor out m-n so that it suffices to prove that the other factor is equal to 0.
Combine the fractions so that it suffices to prove that the numerator is equal to 0.
A bit of algebra combined with double-headed implication arrows between steps generates the expressions st/uv and (s+t)/(u+v) and a clear equality results after substituting for these (thus the result follows due to the backwards implication).

This was a simple example but the general technique should be clear.
Starting with a result and progressively reducing it down to smaller problems is a very widely applicable technique.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Zacken
Nothing I've posted is something you should know, but instead it's something that once pointed out is apparent.

In the case you've pointed out, that equality comes right away from using the substitution xa+bxx \mapsto a+b-x. It's quite literally a one-liner.

So is it not in A level then? We've not finished FP2/3 yet (I know we have some more integration to go), so I wasn't sure whether or not it was in there. We've done things like "adding zero creatively" though.

But I think adding zero is the only thing so far that's not new to me. These are all incredibly helpful; thanks for posting these!
Am I high or in the @Zacken's quote in the OP should it be 1- 1/(1+x) on the second line?
Original post by Student403
Am I high or in the @Zacken's quote in the OP should it be 1- 1/(1+x) on the second line?

No you're right XD.
Original post by IrrationalRoot
No you're right XD.

Okay phew! Zain remember to edit the logarithm too
Original post by Zacken
Using implicit differentiation can make life easier.

Say you wanted to differentiate a nasty function that might require multiple uses of the product rule or such, take logs!

Let's say you have f(x)=xp(x+1)q(x+2)rf(x) = x^p(x+1)^q(x+2)^r, do you really want to differentiate this normally? I'd hope you said no. What you'd want to do is:

\displaystyle [br]\begin{equation*}\log f(x) = p \log x + q \log (x+1) + r \log (x+2) \Rightarrow f'(x) = f(x)\left(\frac{p}{x} + \frac{q}{x+1} + \frac{r}{x+2}\right)\end{equation*}

and leaving your answer in this form, i.e: as f(x)()f(x)(\cdots) is quite useful in many a STEP I question that I've come across.

Never came across the idea of logarithmic differentiation for products. Was this featured in any STEP questions?
Reply 14
Original post by TLDM
So is it not in A level then? We've not finished FP2/3 yet (I know we have some more integration to go), so I wasn't sure whether or not it was in there. We've done things like "adding zero creatively" though.

But I think adding zero is the only thing so far that's not new to me. These are all incredibly helpful; thanks for posting these!

None of these things are remotely requisite for A-Level, they're not even requisite for STEP - just nice shortcuts that you pickup by yourself informally, none of it is really meant to be taught explicitly. :-)

Corrected - thanks for pointing it out; I'm typing all these out in a rush; so people feel free to quote the bits that are wrong and correct me so we can turn this into a nice collection. :biggrin:
Reply 15
Original post by IrrationalRoot
Never came across the idea of logarithmic differentiation for products. Was this featured in any STEP questions?

At least two STEP I questions I can think of off the top of my head.
Original post by Zacken
None of these things are remotely requisite for A-Level, they're not even requisite for STEP - just nice shortcuts that you pickup by yourself informally, none of it is really meant to be taught explicitly. :-)

Corrected - thanks for pointing it out; I'm typing all these out in a rush; so people feel free to quote the bits that are wrong and correct me so we can turn this into a nice collection. :biggrin:

Cheers - I only asked if I'm high because I've literally never seen you make a typo in maths before :colondollar:
Original post by Zacken
At least two STEP I questions I can think of off the top of my head.

I've done virtually every pure one from 1991 to 2013 and have never seen this? Where did you learn this idea?
@Duke Glacia, @Zacken

Lovely idea. perhaps hyperlink the OP with relevant post urls?
Cheers - I only asked if I'm high because I've literally never seen you make a typo in maths before :colondollar:

He edits very quickly :smile:.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Kvothe the arcane

He edits very quickly :smile:.

Too true!

Quick Reply

Latest