The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Maths degree

Hi,
I'm starting my maths degree this september and I'm just wondering how many days a week I'll be in uni?
thanks
Reply 1
Original post by lindyflips
Hi,
I'm starting my maths degree this september and I'm just wondering how many days a week I'll be in uni?
thanks

Every weekday pretty much. Search up 'Lancaster mathematics undergrad timetable' (I can't paste link onto the textbook when I use TSR on my phone).
(edited 8 years ago)
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
In first year I had lectures every day. You do two modules simultaneously, which are 5-weeks long, and you do 10 modules in total. If I remember correctly, it's 3 or 4 hours of lectures plus an hour in a workshop per module per week. You also have an hour of labs and an hour of problem-solving (if they still do that...). You then also have the contact hours for your minor.

In second year you do three modules simultaneously, which are 10-weeks long, and you do 6 modules in total. It's 3 hours of lectures a week plus an hour in a workshop per module per week. I think I was in lectures every day in second year too, but one day I only had one lecture...

In third year you get to choose the modules you take, so it depends on the timetabling of your chosen modules throughout the year. You do 8 modules in total, each lasting 5-weeks. A lot of people tend to strategically pick modules so that their contact hours are evenly spread throughout the year.

Hope this helps!
Original post by eimmas
In first year I had lectures every day. You do two modules simultaneously, which are 5-weeks long, and you do 10 modules in total. If I remember correctly, it's 3 or 4 hours of lectures plus an hour in a workshop per module per week. You also have an hour of labs and an hour of problem-solving (if they still do that...). You then also have the contact hours for your minor.

In second year you do three modules simultaneously, which are 10-weeks long, and you do 6 modules in total. It's 3 hours of lectures a week plus an hour in a workshop per module per week. I think I was in lectures every day in second year too, but one day I only had one lecture...

In third year you get to choose the modules you take, so it depends on the timetabling of your chosen modules throughout the year. You do 8 modules in total, each lasting 5-weeks. A lot of people tend to strategically pick modules so that their contact hours are evenly spread throughout the year.

Hope this helps!

Does this apply only to your university?
Reply 4
Original post by RezzBerry
Does this apply only to your university?

Well, this is the Lancaster Uni thread, so my response is specific to Lancaster... I have no experience of an undergrad maths degree at another university, so no idea what they're like in terms of contact hours and modules.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending