The Student Room Group

Confused about benefit entitlements!

Hi guys, I'm just trying to get my head around my situation for next year as I need to know before I find somewhere to live...

I live with my partner (18) who will be starting a part-time access to uni course in September, who is currently receiving ESA. I am a full-time student, from a fairly low-income background who therefore receives a fairly high amount from student finance with diagnosed depression and anxiety who doesn't receive any kind of benefit for this.

Currently, my boyfriend lives rent-free at my shared accommodation after being kicked out by his parents but next year, we have to move out as my landlord is fairly negligent (has left a ceiling absolutely covered with mould for almost an entire year- i have asthma so this is really bad) and isn't letting his house to students next year.

My question is, will we be entitled to housing benefit, and if so, will my student finance affect is greatly? If it does, I can supplement it through my own money but it would make things fairly difficult. Secondly, as we don't claim currently, what would the situation be in regards to claiming housing benefit for the property we find? Would we be able to claim in advance so the money is there for when we move in or can we only apply once there?

sorry it was so long-winded, but any help will be appreciated as I am panicking (especially as so many people won't take DSS yet we are respectable people)
Original post by Laurenx123x
Hi guys, I'm just trying to get my head around my situation for next year as I need to know before I find somewhere to live...

I live with my partner (18) who will be starting a part-time access to uni course in September, who is currently receiving ESA. I am a full-time student, from a fairly low-income background who therefore receives a fairly high amount from student finance with diagnosed depression and anxiety who doesn't receive any kind of benefit for this.

Currently, my boyfriend lives rent-free at my shared accommodation after being kicked out by his parents but next year, we have to move out as my landlord is fairly negligent (has left a ceiling absolutely covered with mould for almost an entire year- i have asthma so this is really bad) and isn't letting his house to students next year.

My question is, will we be entitled to housing benefit, and if so, will my student finance affect is greatly? If it does, I can supplement it through my own money but it would make things fairly difficult. Secondly, as we don't claim currently, what would the situation be in regards to claiming housing benefit for the property we find? Would we be able to claim in advance so the money is there for when we move in or can we only apply once there?

sorry it was so long-winded, but any help will be appreciated as I am panicking (especially as so many people won't take DSS yet we are respectable people)

You can only make a claim once you're in a property. Most councils allow you to apply online now, which means you'll be able to make an application on the day you move in and get the money through as quickly as possible. I'm not sure where you stand with regards to housing benefit. If it's a joint tenancy it's possible that the council will see you as responsible for half of the rent and your boyfriend responsible for the other half, in which case he might get housing benefit for his half whereas you would have to pay your half of the rent with your student finance (which is what all students have to do anyway - I share a tenancy with my mum and will have to pay my half of the rent, and students in student accommodation obviously have to pay for their half). If you contact your council's housing benefit department they'll probably be able to explain it all to you.

I'm not sure how a partner's income affects your student finance entitlement but if nobody answers on here a quick call to Student Finance England will give you an answer.

Have you tried speaking to the accommodation office at your university? They'll usually help you find suitable landlords and sometimes they even have uni accommodation for couples.
Original post by TSRFT8
Why would you be entitled to housing benefits? You receive Β£8,200 to pay for your accomodation/living costs? Have i just mis-understood this thread or something?

I don't receive the maximum...But as I will be living with a non-student, as a couple, they will want to know my income. Obviously I cannot support my fiance as well as myself on that much money.

It'll be him that claims, but as a couple living together, my student finance will be taken into account. I just wanted to know where I would stand. I'm not one of the people who expects to be given this and that btw lol
Reply 3
You are not entitled to anything unless you are getting PIP. Your partner may be entitled to claim housing benefit as a part time student but it will probably be affected by your earnings. Not sure if this website will help you but if you are still unsure then ask the finance department at university as they should help you work out what you are entitled to. Places such as CAB may also be able to help.
Original post by mscaffrey
You can only make a claim once you're in a property. Most councils allow you to apply online now, which means you'll be able to make an application on the day you move in and get the money through as quickly as possible. I'm not sure where you stand with regards to housing benefit. If it's a joint tenancy it's possible that the council will see you as responsible for half of the rent and your boyfriend responsible for the other half, in which case he might get housing benefit for his half whereas you would have to pay your half of the rent with your student finance (which is what all students have to do anyway - I share a tenancy with my mum and will have to pay my half of the rent, and students in student accommodation obviously have to pay for their half). If you contact your council's housing benefit department they'll probably be able to explain it all to you.

I'm not sure how a partner's income affects your student finance entitlement but if nobody answers on here a quick call to Student Finance England will give you an answer.

Have you tried speaking to the accommodation office at your university? They'll usually help you find suitable landlords and sometimes they even have uni accommodation for couples.

Thank you! That makes it so confusing as obviously I don't know what I'm entitled to. I do have student finance, and obviously would prefer to pay half each as we aren't married and therefore I shouldn't be expected to fund him. I'm not sure he'd qualify for shared student accomodation as he is part time at a college whilst doing an access course and wouldn't receive any funding.

I'm going to ring my local council tomorrow to ask where I stand. I'm almost too proud to claim anything but as we are engaged, I feel it's more appropriate for us to live together and hopefully we'll be able to. I get about Β£6.5-7k a year so it's well below the threshold of Β£16,000 for no longer being eligible.
Original post by Jenx301
You are not entitled to anything unless you are getting PIP. Your partner may be entitled to claim housing benefit as a part time student but it will probably be affected by your earnings. Not sure if this website will help you but if you are still unsure then ask the finance department at university as they should help you work out what you are entitled to. Places such as CAB may also be able to help.

i was under the impression it would be a joint claim. I know I ordinarily wouldn't be if I was a lone person, but as we are living together, I need to work out whether I affect his claim.
Reply 6
i was under the impression it would be a joint claim. I know I ordinarily wouldn't be if I was a lone person, but as we are living together, I need to work out whether I affect his claim.

As far as I am aware he would have to put in a claim himself, but it would be a joint claim with you if you get my meaning? As in, on the forms when you claim, there is space to write about a partner and what they do and earn etc. That is my understanding of it which is why I said his claim will probably be affected by your student finance....but I am not an expert which is why you should ask someone who is trained to know what you are entitled to.
Original post by TSRFT8
Well thats how you are coming across. I dont know your financial circumstances as you havent provided any.

SFE give a form which asks you if you are on any benefits, etc. The money you receive from SFE is used to pay for your housing and maintenance, Your parents are supposed to help (you mention you dont get the maximum so surely they are not that poor)

To be honest, i dont really understand what you are trying to claim benefits for? It seems you are trying to claim for anything and everything. If you actually provide some background information then someone can help you.

I get almost maximum. They are on a joint income of Β£15,000 a year. But not the total maximum, if that makes sense? He is fully entitled to everything he claims for, but my question was, as I will be living with him as a co-habiting couple, what will we get in total?

He receives the full amount of JSA (going onto ESA tomorrow probably) and so obviously I needed to know the amount we would be entitled to as the property we pick to rent will depend on how much housing benefit we get. I already said, I would be more than happy to supplement however much we get with my own money so if it's a low amount of housing benefit, whilst it would be difficult (i live in a fairly expensive to rent in area) i would be able.

Living alone isn't really an option (i don't see why we should have to as his family kicked him out once he turned 18 and we are engaged), plus my landlord is negligent and isn't re-letting out my current property next year.
Original post by Jenx301
As far as I am aware he would have to put in a claim himself, but it would be a joint claim with you if you get my meaning? As in, on the forms when you claim, there is space to write about a partner and what they do and earn etc. That is my understanding of it which is why I said his claim will probably be affected by your student finance....but I am not an expert which is why you should ask someone who is trained to know what you are entitled to.

I think this is correct.

Full time students cannot claim.
He can claim make a claim as a p/t student but your prsence will affect the claim. they will treat you as a couple.

Claim to be made once you are in property, payments never in advance.

1. Talk to the Council, Shelter or CAB. Get a full benefits check from the latter.
You might also wnat to mention the mould problem to the latter two and consider making a claim v the LL.
Reply 9
if you hope not to get benefits effect your student finance, its better to claim special support grant for your coming year :smile:
https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/continuing-fulltime-students
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by 999tigger
I think this is correct.

Full time students cannot claim.
He can claim make a claim as a p/t student but your prsence will affect the claim. they will treat you as a couple.

Claim to be made once you are in property, payments never in advance.

1. Talk to the Council, Shelter or CAB. Get a full benefits check from the latter.
You might also wnat to mention the mould problem to the latter two and consider making a claim v the LL.

it seems so unfair to treat us as a couple as we aren't married so I'm not responsible for his rent! ahhh ok, thank you for the help
it seems so unfair to treat us as a couple as we aren't married so I'm not responsible for his rent! ahhh ok, thank you for the help

You need to check, but couples are people living together, which you confirm.
Original post by TSRFT8
They are paying his rent, you have to pay your own, that is technically what the student loan is for? Also PT students also get student loans. You are basically 2 students sharing an accommodation (like the rest of the students in this country) i dont understand where benefits and ESA are even coming into this. You use the money from SFE to pay for your accommodation and the gap (if there is one) is to be adhered by you and your boyfriend. Since he is doing his studies PT im correct in assuming he can also work? Also you mentioned you live in a expensive area, i think that is your own problem if its beyond your budget you should move somewhere rent is cheaper.

I don't think her partner is getting student finance as he seems to be on a part time college course - I think that is why he is claiming benefits.

Original post by MJlover
if you hope not to get benefits effect your student finance, its better to claim special support grant for your coming year :smile:
https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/continuing-fulltime-students

I don't believe she is entitled to SSG
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TSRFT8
Most colleges have hardship funds where they give you a certain amount of money probably weekly or monthly, i imagine it is the equivalent of a student finance loan. Also if you have kids they pay for their nursery during college times.

I doubt his college will pay his rent and living costs.
I get almost maximum. They are on a joint income of Β£15,000 a year. But not the total maximum, if that makes sense? He is fully entitled to everything he claims for, but my question was, as I will be living with him as a co-habiting couple, what will we get in total?

He receives the full amount of JSA (going onto ESA tomorrow probably) and so obviously I needed to know the amount we would be entitled to as the property we pick to rent will depend on how much housing benefit we get. I already said, I would be more than happy to supplement however much we get with my own money so if it's a low amount of housing benefit, whilst it would be difficult (i live in a fairly expensive to rent in area) i would be able.

Living alone isn't really an option (i don't see why we should have to as his family kicked him out once he turned 18 and we are engaged), plus my landlord is negligent and isn't re-letting out my current property next year.

So he isn't currently on ESA? Has he applied at all? Sent in (the absurdly named) fit notes?

I can't find anything online about it but I thought the government had restricted the eligibility of under-21s to receive Housing Benefit (or cut it all together).

It is also possible (depending on why he is/will be claiming ESA) that he will be questioned when he starts his course why he can study but not work.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TSRFT8
Thats were the ESA is used? The cap on college hardship funds is Β£1200 a year. Plus the 60-70 a week on ESA. Plus he should be working anyway as he is a part time student. Even if he doesnt work that is roughly Β£400 a month plus the money the girl gets from SFE. You can easily rent out a flat for less than Β£500 a month.

OP; Where do you live?

but 12,00 divided by 52 weeks is only Β£23 per week. We don't even know if her partner can get that fund? If he is claiming ESA rather than JSA then obviously he is not able to work. I am a student at uni and unable to work. You'd need to get the full circumstances from OP as it is hard to work things out with the limited info given. OP you should seek advice from a benefits advisor, try CAB.
Original post by TSRFT8
They are paying his rent, you have to pay your own, that is technically what the student loan is for? Also PT students also get student loans. You are basically 2 students sharing an accommodation (like the rest of the students in this country) i dont understand where benefits and ESA are even coming into this. You use the money from SFE to pay for your accommodation and the gap (if there is one) is to be adhered by you and your boyfriend. Since he is doing his studies PT im correct in assuming he can also work? Also you mentioned you live in a expensive area, i think that is your own problem if its beyond your budget you should move somewhere rent is cheaper.

I'll repeat; he is doing an access course, which unless you are over 25, you aren't financially assisted for doing. He counts as a college student therefore can't get any student finance, as I already explained. He is being switched over to ESA as he has depression and anxiety.

The entire city my university is in, is expensive. I can hardly just move away, thus not be able to get to my place of study...
Original post by TSRFT8
Most colleges have hardship funds where they give you a certain amount of money probably weekly or monthly, i imagine it is the equivalent of a student finance loan. Also if you have kids they pay for their nursery during college times.

Usually if you're over 25, which he is not, therefore he doesn't qualify for anything more than about Β£300 a year from them. I did mention he will be claiming ESA as they have recognised he is unable to work due to severe anxiety.

i live in Portsmouth, the most densely populated city in the UK- renting is difficult enough as it is, not to mention the fact that literally 90% of landlords don't accept housing benefit. we have considered house sharing however the landlords won't accept a couple sharing one bedroom- they want 1 per room
(edited 8 years ago)

Wrong wrong wrong. Marriage has almost zero tax/benefit status any more. If you cohabit he is your partner under the definition. It's not about one of you being responsible for the other, it's about you living in the same house and therefore having large economies of scale. The financial fairness of the situation you sort out privately between yourselves.

But you live together as if you were married in the eyes of the law.

In short, your student loan (with some deductions) is counted as income. He can make a claim for housing benefit (you claim as a couple and he's the main claimant) and you may get something, ditto ESA. (assuming he's only entitled to income based ESA) Even if you don't take the full loan, it will still be counted as income.

You, because you're a full time student, are also exempt from council tax. He can then apply for council tax benefit. Depending on the council's policy, he may still have to pay some council tax.

It'll be worth getting a benefits check done. CAB can do one for. I also think the council can too.

Quick Reply

Latest