The Student Room Group

Is A-level Geography as hard as i've been told?

Apparently a lot of people at my school fail geography and my mum's friend has advised me not to take it because of it's difficulty. To do the courses i am considering at uni, i need AAA or AAB so im not sure about taking it in case it brings my grades down. I'm currently working at an A at gcse. What do you think? Is it an overly difficult subject?
Original post by Becca.b
Apparently a lot of people at my school fail geography and my mum's friend has advised me not to take it because of it's difficulty. To do the courses i am considering at uni, i need AAA or AAB so im not sure about taking it in case it brings my grades down. I'm currently working at an A at gcse. What do you think? Is it an overly difficult subject?

AS is not so difficult. A2 much harder though. Nowhere near as difficult as my other subjects though
It's just got a lot of content and the exam technique is quite awkward in my opinion.
I got an A at GCSE, A (over 90%) at AS without tooo much effort and predicted an A*, but that probably won't happen.
Take it if you like it.
Reply 2
Original post by tcameron
AS is not so difficult. A2 much harder though. Nowhere near as difficult as my other subjects though
It's just got a lot of content and the exam technique is quite awkward in my opinion.
I got an A at GCSE, A (over 90%) at AS without tooo much effort and predicted an A*, but that probably won't happen.
Take it if you like it.

Okay, thank you :smile:
I personally found Geography to be my most difficult A Level (I also did ICT and Geology). It had a LOT of content compared to my other subjects, and there weren't many revision resources available for the exam board I was on, WJEC. I found the questions to be really ambiguous, and the time constraints were really tight during the exams. Despite that, I managed to get a B in it at A Level (after getting a B at GCSE).

If you are good at Geography and enjoy it, then I don't think you should let others' dodgy experiences put you off :smile:
Only did AS but I convinced myself it was much harder than it was and ended up with 100%, think I put too much work into it because I thought it was so hard. Got an A* at GCSE.
many , perhaps even half of geography degrees do not need a level geography as a entry requirement, another social science a level like sociology or economics will do. kingston, sheffield, exeter etc. do ba urban planning or ba geography and planning to get a vocational degree.
geography a level<BTEC
Reply 7
Original post by ihateethan
geography a level<BTEC

Lol really? What kinda Btec's?

Quick Reply

Latest