The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Manchester nightlife

What is the nightlife like in Manchester? I am into indie music :smile:
Heya, I've moved this to the University of Manchester forum for you. Hopefully you should get more responses here. :h:
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Fantastic.
Not as good as Liverpool and a lot more expensive.....

(to the person thinking of replying with 'what's your reasoning' i wont be replying. Thanks )
Really great! I'm into indie music myself and there are clubs that play indie music as well ass small venues such as the 'deaf institute' that have bands playing upstairs. Nightlife in Manchester is very cheap where entry to clubs I've been to normally 70p max a pound in comparison to where I live you can expect to pay 5 quid or more to get in. If you like indie music Manchester is probably one of the best scenes in the country for it as well as indie shops and a great vibe to the city.
Original post by Ablicious

(to the person thinking of replying with 'what's your reasoning' i wont be replying. Thanks )

^ this. It's not bad by any means but it is overrated. Birmingham probably has the best indie scene these days, Manchester is hanging on to the 90s and just hasn't moved on.

But you'll probably like it.
Original post by Wilfred Little
^ this. It's not bad by any means but it is overrated. Birmingham probably has the best indie scene these days, Manchester is hanging on to the 90s and just hasn't moved on.

But you'll probably like it.

Original post by Ablicious

Great banter. Next you'll be saying liverpool is a nice area to live in. I don't want to be in a club with scousers. I agree with it being more expensive though
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Lawliettt
Great banter. Next you'll be saying liverpool is a nice area to live in. I don't want to be in a club with scousers

Why not? Scousers are sound mate, just like any group of people. What I said was very fair. I didn't say it was a bad place to go out in but it is undeniable that Manchester has not moved on musically. The only hype it's music scene has generated in the past decade are the 'are they, aren't they?' Stone Roses rumours. Hanging on to the past.
Reply 8
As an ex Manchester student I can confirm that nightlife in Manchester is very good and apart from London possibly the best in the UK for students. You've got everything to choose from whether it's any number of indie nights and clubs, dance and house music, or naff 80's and disco nights as well as higher brow classical concerts.
What you should really be thinking about though is the actual university, the course and whether it's for you!
One of the reasons I applied for Manc. was because of the nightlife and I wasn't disappointed. But I was disappointed with the uni itself. It isn't very academic or stimulating, most students I met were from the home counties and just there to party for three years before getting their degree and going back down south to bag a well paid job in London, I can count the interesting, intelligent conversations I had in three years on the fingers of one hand, the student body is all-too-often aspirant and boring, there is an excessive focus on partying and drinking rather than thinking throughout the campus, the teaching is hit and miss, and it wasn't exactly hard intellectual work either.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending