The Student Room Group

Not sure which Political party I support.

Scroll to see replies

Perhaps you despise taxation altogether?
Welcome to Anarcho-Capitalism.
Reply 21
Original post by Legendary Quest
That is a rather naive view you hold. Receiving a low income does, most certainly, not mean that they're 'lazy' or 'can't be bothered to get a better job'. There are plenty of people out there who work insane hours only to make little money because they do the jobs that people like you don't want to do. Is it then fair that they pay the same percentage of taxes as someone who earns a considerable amount more? Take a Nurse as an example. Nurses work their backsides off and you want them to pay the same percentage taxes as a millionaire.

Well done.

By the way, Conservatives and Labour aren't the only parties in the country you know. In case you forgot, we had a coalition last year.

Oh wow. Thats not what I meant and im sorry if it sounded like that. I know that people can work ages and hard but get paid little. I even put in brackets just an example.

But ONE of the main reasons why people go to uni is to get into a good job which pays well. I know theres people who are rich who doesn't work hard.
But is there any point getting a job which pays very well when maybe after paying tax you won't be making much more. And yes I know people do their jobs because they enjoy it.

But yeah after reading some other replies I guess I agree with you. The people who would pay 50% tax earns over £150,000. And I guess they don't need all of that money. While theres people who works extremely hard who isn't making enough money to live on.

Also I didn't say they couldn't be bothered to get better jobs. But there may be a FEW people who are like that. Not many but a few.

Yes, I know theres more than two parties. But those are the main two. And what are the chances of the Green party winning?
Reply 22
Original post by Joel 96
Perhaps you despise taxation altogether?

No. The government needs to make money some how. We are in a deficit so I guess tax is one of the main ways to decrease this deficit.

Despite it being on a deficit. I think tax normally would be good on de-merit goods which like Tobacco.
Original post by Kholmes1
No. The government needs to make money some how.

There doesn't need to be a government either.
Reply 24
Original post by Joel 96
There doesn't need to be a government either.

Anarcho-capitalism is an unrealistic vision of human nature.
Not a fan of the Tories, think some of them especially my Mp are dicks. BUT I do support a few of their policys.
Labour I would say overall is fine. Not sure about Jeremy Corbyn though. Also making the rich pay higher taxes. Is it making them pay a higher percentage of their income? If so I don't support that at all. And that puts me off them completely. If its the same percentage so everyone pays like 10% in Tax. Then thats fine. I would say thats fair honestly. But thats up to debate. So im fine with proportional tax but not progressive. I don't see how thats fair. Just because someone worked hard to get a good job.

I don't know much about politics if you couldn't tell.
I think environmental issues are quite a big problem. So I guess Labour would do more about this than conservatives.
Not really sure where I stand on benefits. I don't agree with the disabled benefit cuts and the bedroom tax. But in my opinion that maybe instead of benefits they should focus on finding them jobs to do. Because there are a FEW people who could just live on benefits instead of finding a job which isn't fair.

So which political party would you say I support? You can ask me more questions. Tried to do those quizes. They don't really work.
Not sure if I care :iiam:

Sounds like none of them really, because you understand they're all *****.
Original post by TheNote
Anarcho-capitalism is an unrealistic vision of human nature.

How so?
Reply 27
Original post by Joel 96
How so?

It blatantly ignores the reasons that societies formed in the first place, which was for security, both in terms of food security and physical security. When you implement anarcho-capitalist systems there will be those who will become tyrannical dictators, in this day and age it would be the wealthy who would become tyrants at first.

It also blatently ignores the fact that people will disagree with the ideology and could easily take advantage of it.

Anarcho-capitalists could go out right now and join an anarcho-capitalist society, it's called central and northern Africa. if you want to see what an anarcho capitalist or communist society will look like, look no further than those nations, war for power, sectarian wars etc. We currently live in the most peaceful time in human history and anarcho-capitalists want to destroy that.
Original post by TheNote
It blatantly ignores the reasons that societies formed in the first place, which was for security, both in terms of food security and physical security. When you implement anarcho-capitalist systems there will be those who will become tyrannical dictators, in this day and age it would be the wealthy who would become tyrants at first.

Security would be privatised and formed into independent businesses rather than one sector.
The dictator view is very pessimistic. Reminds me of Animal Farm, but that view could very well be applied to any political construct.

Original post by TheNote
It also blatently ignores the fact that people will disagree with the ideology and could easily take advantage of it.

People take advantage of the current system. There will always be those people. No worries, law enforcement still applies to an Anarcho-Capitalist society!

Original post by TheNote
Anarcho-capitalists could go out right now and join an anarcho-capitalist society, it's called central and northern Africa. if you want to see what an anarcho capitalist or communist society will look like, look no further than those nations, war for power, sectarian wars etc. We currently live in the most peaceful time in human history and anarcho-capitalists want to destroy that.

Third World countries will fail whatever the political ideology is. There's simply not enough money to go around.
We've yet to see a legitimate example of an Anarcho-Capitalist society.
(edited 8 years ago)
Haha before I even saw your OP was going to dive right in and say if you're a dick you're a Tory and if you're a nice moderate lefty then it's Labour. But in general nice caring thoughtful people = Labour; selfish and **** on vulnerable to further the interests of the corporate machine and b/w@nkers = Tory.
Original post by Little Popcorns
Haha before I even saw your OP was going to dive right in and say if you're a dick you're a Tory and if you're a nice moderate lefty then it's Labour. But in general nice caring thoughtful people = Labour; selfish and **** on vulnerable to further the interests of the corporate machine and b/w@nkers = Tory.

What about Lib Dems (yes, we exist :colonhash:)? :tongue:

I always categorised it as such:

Tories: rich
Labour: poor
Lib Dems: intelligent
UKIP: stupid

:innocent:
>not voting UKIP

What are you, some kind of pleb?
Reply 32
Original post by Tootles
Not sure if I care :iiam:

Sounds like none of them really, because you understand they're all *****.

?

Yeah. I guess I would take some one elses advice and base it on what my local mp is doing. Which definitely won't be the Tories then.
Reply 33
Original post by TheNote
https://voteforpolicies.org.uk/

use this, gives a good overview for party policies at least.

If you are interested in books i can give you a list.

From there i would strongly suggest looking at opinions that differ from your own and then either argue directly or to yourself the reasons why you are right and they are wrong. This really helps define your opinions and turn your vague ideas of right and wrong in factually based opinions. You need to keep doing this and it will make you a more rational person. You will probably find that your views will change on certain things, or that you might become more extreme.

A few people you should check out on youtube:
Sargon of Akkad Anti-collectivist, anti-3rd wave feminist and a left winger, good place to start.
https://www.youtube.com/user/SargonofAkkad100
He recently did a interview with a white supremacist here on his live stream YT channel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7UPqno6xvE

Vernaculis USA centered but the ideas are transferable, talks mostly about bad media habitshttps://www.youtube.com/channel/UClzNJ7y2Q6wY0tEOzE6EM9Q

Milo journalist from brietbart london, is gay, supports trump, anti-feminist, right wing. He has appeared on sky news a few times as well as the big questions discussing feminism and i think islam, currently doing a few lectures/talks/speachs in the UK
https://www.youtube.com/user/yiannopoulosm

you could also visit a few forums and browse/lurk there for a while:
Student room is an okay forum
you could also check out reddit:
UKpolitics
https://www.reddit.com/r/ukpolitics

there is also 4chans /pol/ if you are brave very right wing, will see nazi references and anti-jewish stuff quite a bit, but you kind of have to lurk there for a few months before you understand the jokes and whether or not people are serious or not.
I won't link 4chan here since it is certainly a website, while not illegal, isn't for anyone under 18, but you can find it via google very easily, just google "4chan pol"

The top link helped quite a lot. So thanks! Also I guess I have changed some of my views in a way. Although I don't really think that progressive tax is fair in a deficit theres not really a better choice. And I guess if you are earning over £150,000 most of it will just remain in your bank.

And theres some issues from that link where im not really sure where I stand and some of them are quite similar. But I guess I kinda hold views of all of them, in certain situations.

But I seemed to get mainly Labour and Lib dem. With views from other parties. But I guess thats because from that link, their policys see, quite similar for some things.

UKIP I would say im the least. I don't really disagree with their views on the NHS. (But it follows the same pattern as all the other parties, I think?)

So I guess ill go through the party as whole and see which one overall I support more.
Reply 34
Okay so I think. From the link someone else gave me on their policies.

Labour- Some policies I like. Some I don't mind. There isn't really any I don't like
Lib Dem- Most policies I like. But theres a few which I don't like at all.

However I am doing it based on this.

(Sorry, you can tell I know nothing about politics.)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 35
Okay so I think. From the link someone else gave me on their policies.

Labour- Some policies I like. Some I don't mind. There isn't really any I don't like
Lib Dem- Most policies I like. But theres a few which I don't like at all.

However I am doing it based on this.

(Sorry, you can tell I know nothing about politics.)

Okay so now that you have a kinda good idea of where you stand (sounds like liberal left wing), you should check out your local representative's for labour and lib dems, check out any scandels or news stories. This will give you a good basis from which to work from.

If you want a detailed read about politics that will teach you the history about politics and the moral founding that ideologies came from I suggest "The polirics book" published by DK. A long read that has a modern easy to read layout. Pictures attatched. I will add it is left leaning but a good introduction and veey educational

There are also websites out there to find out about how they voted in the Commons I think, but thats quite in depth

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending