The Student Room Group

quick s3 question

Real quick question for anyone interested :colondollar:

why isn't the fourth line following the usual normal distribution layout of the random variable minus the mean all over the standard deviation? so it should be 0.5 - the mean?

so confused with what's going on in this question :s-smilie:
Original post by Katiee224

why isn't the fourth line following the usual normal distribution layout of the random variable minus the mean all over the standard deviation? so it should be 0.5 - the mean?

It's not quite what they're doing in this question.

Between lines 3 and 4, they've divided both sides by the standard deviation of the variable tbar. It transforms the left hand side inside the brackets into Z and the right hand side into a function of n and then you use that to find n.
Reply 2

We know that TˉN(μ,2.52n)\displaystyle \bar{T}\simeq \sim \mathrm{N}\left ( \mu, \frac{2.5^{2}}{n} \right ).

The way I like to do it is by finding a new distribution like this:

E(Tˉμ)=0\displaystyle \mathrm{E}\left ( \bar{T} - \mu \right ) = 0

Var(Tˉμ)=2.52n\displaystyle \mathrm{Var} \left ( \bar{T} - \mu \right ) = \frac{2.5^{2}}{n} [\because the mean, μ\mu, has no variance]

(Tˉμ)N(0,2.52n)\displaystyle \Rightarrow \left ( \bar{T} - \mu\right) \sim \mathrm{N}\left ( 0, \frac{2.5^{2}}{n} \right )

and then we base our calculations off of the new distribution we found. Might even help to call it XX. :h:

@Zacken, how do you do these, out of interest?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by aymanzayedmannan

TˉN(μ,2.52n)\displaystyle \bar{T} \sim N\left(\mu, \frac{2.5^2}{n}\right) so we want P((Tˉμ<12)=0.95\mathbb{P}\left((|\bar{T} - \mu| < \frac{1}{2}\right) = 0.95

Hence, since P(Tˉμ<12)=2P(Tˉμ<12)1\displaystyle \mathbb{P}\left(|\bar{T} - \mu| < \frac{1}{2}\right) = 2\mathbb{P}\left(\bar{T} - \mu < \frac{1}{2}\right) - 1

Which yields: P(Tˉ<12+μ)=0.975\displaystyle \mathbb{P}\left(\bar{T} < \frac{1}{2} + \mu\right) = 0.975

Standardising gives us P(Z<0.5+μμ2.5n)=0.975P((Z>0.5n2.5)=0..025\displaystyle \mathbb{P}\left(Z < \frac{0.5 + \mu - \mu}{\frac{2.5}{\sqrt{n}}}\right) = 0.975 \Rightarrow \mathbb{P}\left((Z > \frac{0.5\sqrt{n}}{2.5}\right) = 0..025

So we know that 0.5n2.5=1.96\frac{0.5\sqrt{n}}{2.5} = 1.96 from the percentage points table.
Reply 4
Original post by aymanzayedmannan
We know that TˉN(μ,2.52n)\displaystyle \bar{T}\simeq \sim \mathrm{N}\left ( \mu, \frac{2.5^{2}}{n} \right ).

The way I like to do it is by finding a new distribution like this:

E(Tˉμ)=0\displaystyle \mathrm{E}\left ( \bar{T} - \mu \right ) = 0

Var(Tˉμ)=2.52n\displaystyle \mathrm{Var} \left ( \bar{T} - \mu \right ) = \frac{2.5^{2}}{n} [\because the mean, μ\mu, has no variance]

(Tˉμ)N(0,2.52n)\displaystyle \Rightarrow \left ( \bar{T} - \mu\right) \sim \mathrm{N}\left ( 0, \frac{2.5^{2}}{n} \right )

and then we base our calculations off of the new distribution we found. Might even help to call it XX. :h:

I'm still a bit lost, how does this follow the rules of E(X-Y) = E(X) - E(Y) and Var(X-Y) = Var(X) + Var(Y)?

like how can you have E(x) with x being another mean?:colondollar: does that just equal 0?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
I'm still a bit lost, how does this follow the rules of E(X-Y) = E(X) - E(Y) and Var(X-Y) = Var(X) + Var(Y)?

like how can you have E(x) with x being another mean?:colondollar: does that just equal 0?

E(Tˉμ)=E(Tˉ)μ\displaystyle E\left(\bar{T} - \mu\right) = E(\bar{T}) - \mu using E(X+b)=E(x)+bE(X + b) = E(x) + b, but since E(Tˉ)=μE(\bar{T}) = \mu then we have E(Tˉμ)=μμ=0E(\bar{T} - \mu) = \mu - \mu = 0.

We also have Var(X+b)=Var(X)\mathrm{Var}(X+b) = \mathrm{Var}(X) so Var(Tˉμ)=Var(Tˉ)=2.52n\mathrm{Var}(\bar{T} - \mu) = \mathrm{Var}(\bar{T}) = \frac{2.5^2}{n}.
Reply 6
Original post by Zacken
E(Tˉμ)=E(Tˉ)μ\displaystyle E\left(\bar{T} - \mu\right) = E(\bar{T}) - \mu using E(X+b)=E(x)+bE(X + b) = E(x) + b, but since E(Tˉ)=μE(\bar{T}) = \mu then we have E(Tˉμ)=μμ=0E(\bar{T} - \mu) = \mu - \mu = 0.

We also have Var(X+b)=Var(X)\mathrm{Var}(X+b) = \mathrm{Var}(X) so Var(Tˉμ)=Var(Tˉ)=2.52n\mathrm{Var}(\bar{T} - \mu) = \mathrm{Var}(\bar{T}) = \frac{2.5^2}{n}.

Okay so you are saying we treat μ \mu as a constant?
Reply 7

We treat it as a constant because it is a constant.
Reply 8

The mean has no variance, so it is a constant.
Reply 9
okay i feel a bit stupid now haha, thanks for clearing that one up foe me guys :biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 10
okay i feel a bit stupid now haha, thanks for clearing that one up foe me guys :biggrin::biggrin:

Nothing to feel stupid about, it's good that you're asking these things. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest