The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton

Mathematics at Uni of Bath or Southampton?

These are the 2 unis I am going to pick for my firm and insurance. I am still deciding which one I am going to put as my firm but I want to know if getting a degree in one is more respectable then the other. By looking at the rankings Bath is better for Maths but is there a big difference between the two unis? Also, it's not just about the course but the area and night life affects my choice as well since I am going to be living there.
Original post by onur_m
These are the 2 unis I am going to pick for my firm and insurance. I am still deciding which one I am going to put as my firm but I want to know if getting a degree in one is more respectable then the other. By looking at the rankings Bath is better for Maths but is there a big difference between the two unis? Also, it's not just about the course but the area and night life affects my choice as well since I am going to be living there.

What are the entry requirements for both?

Posted from TSR Mobile
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Reply 2
Original post by Edminzodo
What are the entry requirements for both?

Posted from TSR Mobile

A*AA for Bath and AAA for Southampton. I am predicted A*AA
Original post by onur_m
A*AA for Bath and AAA for Southampton. I am predicted A*AA

This is going to be slightly biased, as I love the city of Bath and couldn't imagine a better place to live. Bath isn't in the Russell Group, unlike Southampton, but the former is still a prestigious university. In terms of living I can imagine Bath to be a little more quiet but I wouldn't know much about the nightlife. I'd argue that prospects after finishing your degree are similar, and that it's entirely down to your personal preference. Have you been to any post-offer days?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
I would pick Bath as it has a better reputation for maths and Bath is a beautiful city
Reply 5
Original post by Edminzodo
This is going to be slightly biased, as I love the city of Bath and couldn't imagine a better place to live. Bath isn't in the Russell Group, unlike Southampton, but the former is still a prestigious university. In terms of living I can imagine Bath to be a little more quiet but I wouldn't know much about the nightlife. I'd argue that prospects after finishing your degree are similar, and that it's entirely down to your personal preference. Have you been to any post-offer days?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't go to the post-offer days which I do regret because I had gone to the open days. Like you said Bath is a very beautiful city. Unfortunately I didn't have enough time to go around Southampton but still saw the Uni. Another thing that might affect my choice is diversity. I live in London and I don't expect other cities to be as diverse but I'm assuming Southampton is more diverse than Bath.
Reply 6
Original post by M14B
I would pick Bath as it has a better reputation for maths and Bath is a beautiful city

I had my mind on Bath but I am still unsure.
Reply 7
Original post by onur_m
I had my mind on Bath but I am still unsure.

Wait for more feedback.
:smile:
Reply 8
Original post by M14B
Wait for more feedback.
:smile:

Ok thanks!
Reply 9
I lived and went to uni in Bath, and now I'm about to start a Postgrad in Soton (living in Soton already 3 years). In terms of reputation, Bath is a fair bit ahead of Soton in the leagues tables ( quite often in the top 5), it's a smaller uni and I think because of that you may find you get better support. Internationally, Bath is known, Soton is not.

However, if you are either poor or like nightlife, Soton might be your better bet. Supermarket wise you pretty much just have Sainsbury's and Waitrose in Bath. There's not many clubs and they tend to be pretty expensive. Even at the uni drinks can be expensive. Soton has looooots of clubs and good pubs.

Diversity wise, in the city of Soton there's more diversity than in the city of Bath. However Bath uni is the only uni in the country to have it's own chinese supermarket and takes on a huge amount of international students.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending