The Student Room Group

What are the disadvantages of studying at Cambridge?

Hi, I'm Gautam. I'm thinking of applying to a college at Cambridge at the end of this year for economics. I want to apply because I've read a lot of material from professors there, and it'd literally be a dream to actually speak to them and work with them. But, what I want to know, is other than the workload, what are the disadvantages of studying at Oxbridge?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

@gmahapatra I've popped this in the Cambridge uni forum for you :h: You should get responses here.
Reply 2
its not lse
Reply 3
Original post by gmahapatra
Hi, I'm Gautam. I'm thinking of applying to a college at Cambridge at the end of this year for economics. I want to apply because I've read a lot of material from professors there, and it'd literally be a dream to actually speak to them and work with them. But, what I want to know, is other than the workload, what are the disadvantages of studying at Oxbridge?

Posted from TSR Mobile

1. Its very hard to get an offer and it will be the hardest one to meet.
2. The workload is heavier than most alternative choices
3. It may be harder to get a high degree class than at an easier university

The Economics courses at the two Universities are completely different. I suggest you need to do more research on your dream so that you actually know what you would be studying. You cannot apply to both.

BTW LSE has poor student satisfaction at undergraduate level because the campus life is less good than a college and the teaching is not as good, no supervisions and more lectures by postgrad students.
Reply 4
Original post by Colmans
1. Its very hard to get an offer and it will be the hardest one to meet.
2. The workload is heavier than most alternative choices
3. It may be harder to get a high degree class than at an easier university

The Economics courses at the two Universities are completely different. I suggest you need to do more research on your dream so that you actually know what you would be studying. You cannot apply to both.

BTW LSE has poor student satisfaction at undergraduate level because the campus life is less good than a college and the teaching is not as good, no supervisions and more lectures by postgrad students.

Thank you for replying! Yeah I know, I prefer Cambridge I think, because it's heavily maths based, whilst e and m isn't so much. But at the same time, I'd also like to take student life into account. Doesn't graduating from an incredible uni make up for a lower degree class?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Thank you for replying! Yeah I know, I prefer Cambridge I think, because it's heavily maths based, whilst e and m isn't so much. But at the same time, I'd also like to take student life into account. Doesn't graduating from an incredible uni make up for a lower degree class?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I chose Cambridge over LSE and I don't regret it. I got a first. Had I got a 2;2 I might feel differently but it would depend what career I wanted.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Doesn't graduating from an incredible uni make up for a lower degree class?

In the eyes of most employers, I think it does (to an extent). A 2:1 from Cambridge will often be regarded similarly to a 1st from another university.
Reply 7
Original post by sweeneyrod
In the eyes of most employers, I think it does (to an extent). A 2:1 from Cambridge will often be regarded similarly to a 1st from another university.

But a 2:2 or 3rd, even from Cambridge, will still close doors.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It seems pointless having to work really hard to get a 2.1 at Cambridge when you could probably get a First with less work somewhere else. I don't really think the Cambridge brand makes too much difference?

Short intense terms too, that could be seen as a disadvantage.
Reply 9
Original post by Colmans
I chose Cambridge over LSE and I don't regret it. I got a first. Had I got a 2;2 I might feel differently but it would depend what career I wanted.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks. To be entirely honest, I doubt I'll be in a position to pick between the two anyhow! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sweeneyrod

Thanks for letting me know! So a 2;2 for a 2;1?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Helenia
But a 2:2 or 3rd, even from Cambridge, will still close doors.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How much harder to get a 2:2 from Cambridge than a 2:1 from say, LSE?

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you don't spend three years doing absolutely nothing you'll get a 2.2 at least. Very few people get less than a 2.1.
Reply 13
You might find the work load a bit daunting and although you may have been top of the class at school you might find yourself bottom at cambridge. :wink:

I think there is less equivalence there, but a 2:2 from Cambridge is definitely closer to a 2:1 from another university than it is to a 2:2 (in my opinion). While a 3rd from anywhere isn't worth much, if it is from Cambridge there is still the possibility it will get you a foot in the door with an employer entranced by the Cambridge brand.
How much harder to get a 2:2 from Cambridge than a 2:1 from say, LSE?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Probably not harder at all. Perhaps slightly harder to get a 2:1 from Cambridge than LSE, but for economics my understanding is the courses are relatively similar in difficulty.

Having never studied my subject elsewhere I can't really say how it would compare.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I definitely don't think employers will view it that way. A 2ii, even from Cambridge, will look bad. I think that's very unfair, since I think the vast majority of Cambridge students would be getting a First at most other universities (even those getting a 2ii at Cambridge), but employers will certainly not look kindly upon a 2ii from Cambridge.
Reply 17
Original post by Chief Wiggum
I definitely don't think employers will view it that way. A 2ii, even from Cambridge, will look bad. I think that's very unfair, since I think the vast majority of Cambridge students would be getting a First at most other universities (even those getting a 2ii at Cambridge), but employers will certainly not look kindly upon a 2ii from Cambridge.

Would be interesting to see the graduate salary ranges and employment rates per degree class from different universities.

(Ideally, filterable by course...)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Would be interesting to see the graduate salary ranges and employment rates per degree class from different universities.

(Ideally, filterable by course...)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Curiously I can remember that the year I graduated Cambridge Economics had the highest starting salary of any degree. Don't know exactly why it stuck in my mind so clearly.......

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
- The econ department (and all of Sidgewick) is the most depressing building I have every seen...
- Facilities at the faculty are terrible (use your college facilities!) - although the library is very well stocked
- The administration of the department is also a bit disorganised (although the professors are great!)
- It can be stressful as terms are short and very packed
- There are no resits - if you fail a few modules you're screwed

Can't think of anything else, but there are many positive things that speak for Cambridge - so focusing just on the disadvantages might not give you the best picture overall.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending