The Student Room Group

Tutor threatened to withdraw reference?

So I'm currently studying a level 3 college course in graphic design, on top of this I have another level 3 in Film and TV. I've recently firmly accepted an unconditional offer from my first choice university and I'm currently sorting out finance and accomodation etc. However, things at home are a massive problem at the moment as I may be facing homelessness along with other financial and family issues. I told this to my current course tutor and explained how I can no longer cope with continuing my college course and that I felt the best thing to do was to find a full time job to provide me with some sort of stability up until I leave for uni in September. I figured this wouldn't affect my place at uni as I have decent qualifications and already recieved an unconditional offer, surely meaning my course now isn't essential. After explaining all this to me tutor he proceeded to tell me that if I try to leave the course, he'll contact my university, tell them to not take me and withdraw his reference. Can he do this? Because I now feel completely stuck and somewhat blackmailed into staying on a course I don't need and can't emotionally/financially cope with right now.
Original post by Rachechelon
So I'm currently studying a level 3 college course in graphic design, on top of this I have another level 3 in Film and TV. I've recently firmly accepted an unconditional offer from my first choice university and I'm currently sorting out finance and accomodation etc. However, things at home are a massive problem at the moment as I may be facing homelessness along with other financial and family issues. I told this to my current course tutor and explained how I can no longer cope with continuing my college course and that I felt the best thing to do was to find a full time job to provide me with some sort of stability up until I leave for uni in September. I figured this wouldn't affect my place at uni as I have decent qualifications and already recieved an unconditional offer, surely meaning my course now isn't essential. After explaining all this to me tutor he proceeded to tell me that if I try to leave the course, he'll contact my university, tell them to not take me and withdraw his reference. Can he do this? Because I now feel completely stuck and somewhat blackmailed into staying on a course I don't need and can't emotionally/financially cope with right now.

An unconditional offer is still conditional on you fulfilling all the exams and training you listed in your application.

Contact your firm university and explain the situation to them and ask whether they will honour your unconditional if you drop out of your current course to work.

There's a reasonable chance they'll say that it's not a problem - in which case ask them to confirm that in writing (and send that to your tutor to rub it in :wink:).

Your tutor is acting like a dick, possibly because he's assuming your university will withdraw their offer. If you speak to your uni directly and get an answer from them then your tutor can **** off and hopefully learn that threats aren't helpful in this situation.
Original post by Rachechelon

Your unconditional offer is on the assumption that you will carry on as you are right now until you start at the uni. I.e. any qualifications you are doing right now you will finish.
Exactly what PQ said my forst insticnt is to contact the UNI and bypass the tutor.
Should the tutor behave in that way ? No and id be concerned.
Does the tutor have a point? possibly depending what was written in his reference and what influenced the Uni.

Uni has all the cards.

Quick Reply

Latest