The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE (social policy) or Kings College (politics) ??

Should I choose LSE for the reputation or Kings for the more respected (less niche) course?

Have offers from both. Thanks
Reply 1
I firmed LSE Social Policy over Bristol Economics and Politics
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by h3110
I firmed LSE Social Policy over Bristol Economics and Politics

Thanks glad to see someone on the same course seems quite small. Hopefully should be good
Reply 3
Original post by lollipop12354
Thanks glad to see someone on the same course seems quite small. Hopefully should be good

From my research, the course looks really good.

LSE basically invented the academic study of Social Policy in the early 1900s and it has the best Social Policy department in the country, and is the 2nd best university in the world for Social Sciences (after Harvard) according to QS world rankings.

In terms of graduate prospects, it's quite hard to research since only about 15 students study Social Policy per year at LSE. I did manage to find some people on Linkedin who had studied BSc Social Policy at LSE. Many of them had work experience in the House of Commons, one in particular had work experience as a Civil adviser to Nick Clegg in 2014, and subsequently worked in the Home Office. Others worked in strategy consulting and various other high paying careers.
Original post by h3110
From my research, the course looks really good.

LSE basically invented the academic study of Social Policy in the early 1900s and it has the best Social Policy department in the country, and is the 2nd best university in the world for Social Sciences (after Harvard) according to QS world rankings.

In terms of graduate prospects, it's quite hard to research since only about 15 students study Social Policy per year at LSE. I did manage to find some people on Linkedin who had studied BSc Social Policy at LSE. Many of them had work experience in the House of Commons, one in particular had work experience as a Civil adviser to Nick Clegg in 2014, and subsequently worked in the Home Office. Others worked in strategy consulting and various other high paying careers.

Thanks this is really helpful! Yes don't think job prospects will be too much of an issue with a uni like LSE. Are you a home applicant? Probably going to have to make friends if we both get in haha. (not that that's a bad thing!)
Reply 5
Thanks this is really helpful! Yes don't think job prospects will be too much of an issue with a uni like LSE. Are you a home applicant? Probably going to have to make friends if we both get in haha. (not that that's a bad thing!)

Ye I am a home applicant wbu?
Original post by h3110
Ye I am a home applicant wbu?

I'm a home applicant yep
Reply 7
I'm a home applicant yep

Nice, what A Levels are you doing?

I'm in a gap year atm so I have an unconditional offer
Politics, psychology and English language (economics at AS) yourself? What part of country are you from ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Hi I know this is really late and you've probably already started university but just in case someone else is in the same predicament as you... I had a choice of two universities, either study social policy at the LSE or study international politics at King's College. In the end I asked myself what am I actually interested in and I realised that I was more interested in studying issues that people face on a daily basis such as homelessness, poverty, and so on . To be fair there is overlap between social policy and politics For example in my second year I learnt about political theories and political philosophers and applied them to the area of social policy. Both courses would offer the same job prospects and both are good universities . When I chose Social Policy I never looked back. While studying this I urge you take the time to learn research methods because this will help you a lot after graduating . Any questions feel free to email.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest