The Student Room Group

MSc Finance LSE/Imperial/LBS/Warwick

Scroll to see replies

Original post by StefanG
Received my LSE finance offer today. Are you accepting it?

Congratulations!

Figuring out my finances. haven't decided yet
Congrats on the offers guys, your applications must have been really strong!

Just a few questions again that hopefully help me out for the MsC in Finance. I have chosen modules in Performance & Financial Management and Statistical Modelling for second year, would strong results in these boost my application for MsC? Also i know i have already asked but is there any way i can further my CV baring in mind i'm at a disadvantage as i dont have Maths A-level? You spoke about the GMAT, should this be done during my studies or is that unrealistic? After doing quite a bit of research ideally i would like to do MsC Finance at Imperial/LSE but i want to start improving my application NOW. Just a first year so plenty of time to add, any help is appreciated thanks!
Original post by GymLad78
Congrats on the offers guys, your applications must have been really strong!

Just a few questions again that hopefully help me out for the MsC in Finance. I have chosen modules in Performance & Financial Management and Statistical Modelling for second year, would strong results in these boost my application for MsC? Also i know i have already asked but is there any way i can further my CV baring in mind i'm at a disadvantage as i dont have Maths A-level? You spoke about the GMAT, should this be done during my studies or is that unrealistic? After doing quite a bit of research ideally i would like to do MsC Finance at Imperial/LSE but i want to start improving my application NOW. Just a first year so plenty of time to add, any help is appreciated thanks!

What I feel is that those modules are great (and maybe should be enough) for MSc IF you score A's. Don't they have a pure/ applied math course at university?
Appear for the GRE over the summer break, the math is extremely easy to score high in and since you will be holding a UK degree, it should suffice. I didn't take Math in year 12 but I did take pure math + Stats at University. Maybe there is an AP Math (Equivalent to the A levels) that you could take? I don't have much information about that though.

But again! its better to be over prepared
Original post by LolaAsh27
What I feel is that those modules are great (and maybe should be enough) for MSc IF you score A's. Don't they have a pure/ applied math course at university?
Appear for the GRE over the summer break, the math is extremely easy to score high in and since you will be holding a UK degree, it should suffice. I didn't take Math in year 12 but I did take pure math + Stats at University. Maybe there is an AP Math (Equivalent to the A levels) that you could take? I don't have much information about that though.

But again! its better to be over prepared

I'm not sure, I know they do for some courses and there is a 'maths support' centre but i'm not sure if there is entire separate course. Ok thanks i Will look into the GRE more! Thanks again. I already have a strong extra-curricular section through sport and leadership qualifications, but i still feel as though my academic side is slightly lacking.
Reply 44
Original post by StefanG
Received my LSE finance offer today. Are you accepting it?

Congrats man!
Hi All,

Anyone have any insight into which course would be better for M&A:

Imperial - MSc Finance
LSE - MSc Accounting and Finance

No IBD experience, but some middle office experience and Advisory consulting experience in M&A

Already asked a few people so thanks for your responses. Anyone else got any insight / advice?
Original post by shandawg
Hi All,

Imperial - MSc Finance

No IBD experience, but some middle office experience and Advisory consulting experience in M&A

Already asked a few people so thanks for your responses. Anyone else got any insight / advice?

Either one is good but I'd lean towards LSE. It's got the best overall brand as far as masters programmes go.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 47
Original post by tutonic
Congrats man!

Thanks man :smile:
Reply 48
I'm not sure, I know they do for some courses and there is a 'maths support' centre but i'm not sure if there is entire separate course. Ok thanks i Will look into the GRE more! Thanks again. I already have a strong extra-curricular section through sport and leadership qualifications, but i still feel as though my academic side is slightly lacking.

My simple advice would be just to take as many maths based modules as you can. Common trend between offers tends to br mathematical background

As for lolaash's comments, i agree gre math is a lot easier than gmat, but i still suggest taking gmat. Gmat verbal is a lot easier for native speakers as its more about understanding sentence structures and flow, whereas gre is all about word definitions. I scored 85th percentile gmat verbal with 2 weeks training so i think its the way to go for a high OVERALL score. This is coming from someone who took both. But for sure, MUCH harder to ace gmat quant so if you cant get 48+ then stick to gre
Reply 49
Original post by Princepieman
Either one is good but I'd lean towards LSE. It's got the best overall brand as far as masters programmes go.

Posted from TSR Mobile

[QUOTE="shandawg;64468597"]Hi All,

Imperial - MSc Finance

Already asked a few people so thanks for your responses. Anyone else got any insight / advice?[/QUOT

Original post by shandawg
Hi All,

Imperial - MSc Finance

Original post by Princepieman

Posted from TSR Mobile

+1, although I think the imperial course is much more appealing so have a think. LSE for brand name though, especially Ibd
Original post by StefanG
My simple advice would be just to take as many maths based modules as you can. Common trend between offers tends to br mathematical background

As for lolaash's comments, i agree gre math is a lot easier than gmat, but i still suggest taking gmat. Gmat verbal is a lot easier for native speakers as its more about understanding sentence structures and flow, whereas gre is all about word definitions. I scored 85th percentile gmat verbal with 2 weeks training so i think its the way to go for a high OVERALL score. This is coming from someone who took both. But for sure, MUCH harder to ace gmat quant so if you cant get 48+ then stick to gre

Sorry for all the basic questions but i know very little about MsCs currently! So would you recommend taking the GMAT in summer 2017 (end of my second year) and would attending a course be the best way to prepare? Also is there much difference from Finance MsC at Imperial/LSE compared to HEC Paris/ESADE?Thanks again for the advice, really appreciated.
Reply 51
Sorry for all the basic questions but i know very little about MsCs currently! So would you recommend taking the GMAT in summer 2017 (end of my second year) and would attending a course be the best way to prepare? Also is there much difference from Finance MsC at Imperial/LSE compared to HEC Paris/ESADE?Thanks again for the advice, really appreciated.

take the gmat whenevr you have 100+ hours spare to invest in learning it. Could do it as a side project from now until next summer. Use one of the online courses as they are quite cheap and effective, i used magoosh which is good for its price tag. Focus on quant, as anything under 48 is worthless to LSE.

As for the euro courses: stick to uk courses if you're a brit. LSE will have better placement in the Uk and HEc/Esade better in their respected countries. Worth considering if you can speak the language fluently though.
Original post by StefanG
take the gmat whenevr you have 100+ hours spare to invest in learning it. Could do it as a side project from now until next summer. Use one of the online courses as they are quite cheap and effective, i used magoosh which is good for its price tag. Focus on quant, as anything under 48 is worthless to LSE.

As for the euro courses: stick to uk courses if you're a brit. LSE will have better placement in the Uk and HEc/Esade better in their respected countries. Worth considering if you can speak the language fluently though.

OK cheers, is it hard to score high on quant?
Reply 53
OK cheers, is it hard to score high on quant?

Very subjective question. All the maths is 'basic', but the questions can be very confusing. Although 48 is the minimum, you should be aiming for at least 49, so it will require some work that's for sure. I put about 30 hours into maths revision and with a fairly solid quant background scored 49.

The best way to find out where you're at is to take a mock test in proper conditions.
(edited 7 years ago)
StefanG, how did you LBS interview go in the end? I'm currently deciding between the LBS MFA and LSE Finance and would like to hear your thoughts.
Reply 55
Original post by mscfin123
StefanG, how did you LBS interview go in the end? I'm currently deciding between the LBS MFA and LSE Finance and would like to hear your thoughts.

Postponed it till after my exams because they forgot to schedule it when it should have been. According to my friend its a very standard procedure, asks about your CV and future ambitions.
Any advice on how to get experience working in firms? I have watched an educational lecture saying that if you want to get into a career in finance you need to know which sector you want to work (that yet i do not know, any help?). But more importnatnly to get onto the MsC finance course you need experience (which is so HARD to get). Any advice on how to get experience and what is/isnt valued?

Thanks
Any advice on how to get experience working in firms? I have watched an educational lecture saying that if you want to get into a career in finance you need to know which sector you want to work (that yet i do not know, any help?). But more importnatnly to get onto the MsC finance course you need experience (which is so HARD to get). Any advice on how to get experience and what is/isnt valued?

Thanks

Apply for internships in the tier 1 banks. Spring insights, etc.
Reply 58

Thanks

To be fair I think you're rushing ahead of yourself here. For a start, I feel like you should have a LONG think about what sort of finance role you might enjoy. Then research it thoroughly. You should only be planning your masters when you know what direction you want it to take you!

To get work experience, start applying for relevant summer internships starting September. Spend a lot of time on applications, as competition is really stiff. Given its your second year, and I assume you haven't done too much to boost your CV so far, be realistic, your chances of landing a 'top investment bank' internship in the front office are extremely slim. Maybe have a look at the big 4 accounting firms, they offer a lot.

Your first priority should be academics. Aim for the highest, not just a 70, I know a few people who still got rejected while on a first. I got accepted with only two summer internships so that shouldn't be a worry.
Original post by StefanG
I got accepted with only two summer internships so that shouldn't be a worry.

Out of curiosity, if you already had internships (and I presume the opportunity to convert said internships), why are you pursuing an MSc in Finance?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending